Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

Any business that can operate with the same social distancing as a grocery store should be allowed to open and do so. Restaurants should be allowed to open the dining room with social distanced tables and a limit on party size. For the time being, masks should be required except after being seated at a restaurant.
Some restaurants have real tablecloth. I know for a fact that the tablecloth if not stained it doesn't get changed out and sent to the laundry. If a guest with covid coughs and sprays their mucus particles onto the tablecloth it will still be in their for the next guest to come in contact with.

Lilofan

That has nothing to do with what I said. Orlando as a city has nothing to do with Disney. All those high rise buildings and such... they aren’t Disney or Universal office buildings.
With the Mouse and Universal and tourism in general being the #1 driver in Florida, residents pay no state income tax and low property taxes compared to some other parts of the country. Downtown Orlando residents and employers should be thanking Mickey and Minnie every single day!

zengoth

Maybe it wasn't a good idea in hindsight to base Orlando's whole economy around an amusement park?
I don't think anyone (well, maybe someone) ever thought we'd be in a situation where we'd have to limit large gatherings worldwide. With population and density being so huge, especially in the sunbelt, I can't imagine Florida can just go back to small roadside attractions as a business model.

zengoth

How could you possible allow water bottle filler if you are trying to avoid spreading the virus... imagine someone slaps their water bottle up to fill it up and they still have slobbers of their own on the bottle top, it touches the filler and now the filler is infected.
Like absolutely anything else a person could touch, it needs to either be cleaned at (very) regular intervals or engineered to be self-cleaning on a cycle. Seriously, if we as a population can't gather in groups AND we can't touch anything public ever again, we're going to have to be in self-imposed exile.

DisneyDebRob

Going to bed. Leaving with this thought:

I remain concerned that in the midst of this pandemic, so many of your initial instincts are to doubt your fellow Americans, put them down, call them “idiots” and generalize that Americans are less than willing to sacrifice for their fellow citizens... no wonder we can never get anything done as a nation.

I for one am proud of my fellow citizens for our shared sacrifice. This isn’t easy for any of us. I have a 6-year-old at home who doesn’t fully grasp why her friends, her grandparents, her school, her favorite parks were ripped away from her...

A little humility and understanding that everyone is coping differently and may have differing opinions on how we move forward as a society would go a long way towards healing - not in terms of preventing physical illness, but in terms of healing the emotional fractures that have been persistent in our society long before COVID-19 was a thorn in our sides.

In 100 years, future generations will talk about this event the way we do about the Spanish Flu. And all of us will have shared that experience which will be written in history books long after we’ve all returned to the dust. What’s important now is to realize no one is inherently right or wrong. There is no evil vs good here. I clearly have a different opinion than many of you, but I still hold all of you in high regard and consider all opinions to be something worth listening to...

But maybe we should have a little civic pride in the sacrifices that our fellow Americans have made for the sake of the community at large. It was a rocky start, but people have largely been willing to sacrifice. It’s an impressive feat for a nation that remains one of the most individualistic in the Western world. The willingness to suspend judgment and instead defer to understanding and empathy is the only thing that brings us out of this better than we were before.
Very nice thought out post but exactly the opposite of what’s been happening over the last 10-15 years. No one anymore can come to middle ground and agree on anything. It’s I’m right and you should just be quiet because your so way off. Just yelling and screaming and no one listening. So wish it could be the way you laid it out and have no idea how long it would take to get back to those times. Things like a pandemic, where you would think people would try and put certain things behind us and work together, seems again it goes more extreme between the differences.
We can all hope though.
Remember the times after 9/11 when it seemed everyone was on the same team? Was a good feeling for a few months then went away. If something like that can’t last for more then a few months, this won’t do anything.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Only UV-C kills the virus. None of which reaches us from the sun
I don't believe it has been determined that only UV-C kills it.
https://news.yahoo.com/sunlight-des...ould-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html
Some restaurants have real tablecloth. I know for a fact that the tablecloth if not stained it doesn't get changed out and sent to the laundry. If a guest with covid coughs and sprays their mucus particles onto the tablecloth it will still be in their for the next guest to come in contact with.
Would it be that difficult for these restaurants to temporarily replace the real tablecloths with disposable plastic ones or institute a policy to change them after every party?

Lilofan

DisneyCane

Try to replace real tablecloth with cheapo plastic ones in fine dining locations?

As uncouth as that may be, given the choice between being in business and not I think it is a great sacrifice that can be made. As an unsophisticated person, I can't even remember the last time I ate in a restaurant with a tablecloth. When I visit WDW, my "high end dining" is comprised of Cookes of Dublin or a drive to Clermont to get a "G's special" at G's NY Pizza.

DisneyDebRob

As uncouth as that may be, given the choice between being in business and not I think it is a great sacrifice that can be made. As an unsophisticated person, I can't even remember the last time I ate in a restaurant with a tablecloth. When I visit WDW, my "high end dining" is comprised of Cookes of Dublin or a drive to Clermont to get a "G's special" at G's NY Pizza.
I really don’t see restaurant tablecloths as being the biggest problem although it is one of them. That along with a few hundred changes that would need to be done all adds up to a longer delay of them opening in my opinion. Just to much to take on in a amusement park type place. Might actually be costing them money with everything that needs to be done then them making dollars.
By the way, Cookes is fantastic.

Seanual757

I really don’t see restaurant tablecloths as being the biggest problem although it is one of them. That along with a few hundred changes that would need to be done all adds up to a longer delay of them opening in my opinion. Just to much to take on in a amusement park type place. Might actually be costing them money with everything that needs to be done then them making dollars.
By the way, Cookes is fantastic.

Disney can implement changes very quickly we have 9 days left of the current social distancing in place order is set to expire. If the Governor decides to lift the ban Disney can bring in cast members in groups as needed for a day of training broken up in dozens and dozens of small groups. Go over how to clean and how Disney has already implemented how rides, lines, dining, as well as Transportation will take place. This has been discussed in detail over conference calls so Disney already has a plan. As long as the state opens they are shooting for a 6/1 opening you can bet it will be limited capacity.

Thus the reason for limited capacity I am still saying the 1st 2 weeks for resort guests only then pass holders. With the limited capacity for resort guests only you know where they came from you can track the guests steps throughout the part and resorts. This allows you to see what is working and what is not working and it gives you a change to make adjustments. This is not rocket science just some planning in advance and this has already been done.

surfsupdon

The Skyliner would be the best method of transportation. One party per cabin. Even as a small group, I'd ride with another small group if social distancing allows groupings under 50. I am not terrified!! Wash hands and don't suck on my fingers, lol.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That has nothing to do with what I said. Orlando as a city has nothing to do with Disney. All those high rise buildings and such... they aren’t Disney or Universal office buildings.
Without Disney, Orlando ain’t much.

How many landlocked cities are there in Florida? I count one. It was a unique set of circumstances. Trying to peel away Disney from Orlando always fails.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Skyliner would be the best method of transportation. One party per cabin. Even as a small group, I'd ride with another small group if social distancing allows groupings under 50. I am not terrified!! Wash hands and don't suck on my fingers, lol.
The problem with the skyliner is it serves the two parks it makes the least amount of sense to reopen first and several hotels that fall in the same category.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think you are properly interpreting what was done. The ban is on immigration, which would be asylum seeker and others that simply want to immigrate permanently to the US. This will most likely not apply to temporary workers which had already been exempted from in person interviews because farmers normally bring in lots of temporary laborers every year. People coming to work for Disney for a limited time are unlikely to impacted by this... the biggest impact they will face will most likely be trying to get into the foreign embassy where they live to get the paperwork completed.
Nothing has been done...it’s pure theatre. Tossing meat to the same fat wolves.

It’s been 45 days of panic...has a single person of repute used the “I” word prior to yesterday? Name one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Speaking of Disney theme parks and face masks, It just occurred to me that there are many rides like Splash Mountain or Expedition Everest where people scream out of fear or joy. In rides like these, a face mask could fly off. If people won't be wearing a mask, how do you prevent droplets of saliva from people seated in front of you from landing on your face?

I guess we'll have to wait and see not only when, but how, the reopening of the parks will play out.
The climate in Orlando doesn’t allow for wearing masks all day...as the mechanics of amusement parks really doesn’t either.

The “on again, off again” approach hasn’t been recommended by any professional I’ve seen.

I’ll remind that none of the Asian parks have come close to reopening yet...and not a peep from euro where they’ve been far more serious collectively...

I’m not sure why the country with far more cases/fatalities thinks it has luck on its side. We are collectively acting like the crowd at WWE Smackdown.

Polynesia

The problem with the skyliner is it serves the two parks it makes the least amount of sense to reopen first and several hotels that fall in the same category.
You’ve got the Riviera, a DVC resort, so it makes sense to open Skyliner quickly. The Caribbean Beach Resort is also on that line. That resort allows social distancing easier than done others due to it being spread out. Add in the demand for Studios newest attractions and its easy to see Skyliner will be in demand early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom