Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Let’s say the government gives WDW a get out of jail free card for liability... what about the Blackfish effect? Or more precisely a social media effect, doesn't have to be a documentary.

We know how fast menu changes blow through the Disney fan community. How fast surveys get posted. People weren’t wrong when they asked before, how come there weren’t reports of CMs getting sick. If something would happen, word would get out. Not everyone has to stay away, just enough to be a problem.
The point is that there would be protocols in place to minimize the risk of spread. The liability absolution would allow Disney (or any other tourist destination) to not have to worry about frivolous lawsuits or finding insurance to cover the possibility. It wouldn't be a get out of jail free card that would let them operate however they want with no liability. They would have to operate under state guidelines.

DisneyCane

Playing favorites will be viewed as a public bailout ...which means the locals won’t be able to rant and rave in their fantasy world about the usual stuff.

All you self anointed “capitalists” should understand this...

Florida hasn’t been very Disney friendly for about 20 years...by the way. Disney demands alot and still creates problems for the city and state.
Now I’ll give you that...but you can’t because you’ve made your choices as I said above.
What choices? I said it would apply to all theme parks or even all tourist destinations. It wouldn't be just Disney just like Colorado's law applies to all ski resorts.

csmat99

The citrus industry wasn't going to support a few million people. Especially after whatever year the freeze was that led to all the orange groves being turned into housing developments.
that was short term thinking. California does very well with their agriculture because they support it and fiercely defend it. If anyone who has tried to bring a plant or certain animals across the border know all too well. That being said Florida still controls 75% of the orange market.

Animaniac93-98

The citrus industry wasn't going to support a few million people. Especially after whatever year the freeze was that led to all the orange groves being turned into housing developments.

Again, having your economy revolve around one thing (be it citrus or tourism) is not a good practice. Tourism can be important and helpful, but it's not the best thing to center business around. It's too volatile and susceptible to everything from bad weather to a recession.

I personally don't think the solution to out of work hospitality staff is to reopen their businesses at a loss and risk spreading the virus. That's just the government dumping responsibility on businesses to avoid doing more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyCane

I'm so stupid but what good will the mass testing and everything do? It's here in the population until herd immunity and also a lot of people are asymptotic.

What more can be done other than researching better treatments for people who have it badly?
Other than provide statistics and gating metrics, pretty much nothing. You aren't stupid, you're perceptive.

If asymptomatic patients are a significant driver of the spread, mass testing will do very little to show the spread.

It will allow some asymptomatic patients to be found through contact tracing of symptomatic patients but it isn't going to come close to eliminating the curve.

thomas998

Noticed today Publix turned off their water fountains. A friend who works at Walmart says they did the same. Can anyone wager how many water fountains are on WDW property? Xtra points if you can guess how much it would cost to convert them all to those water bottle fillers ( i saw one @ galaxy edge iirc)
How could you possible allow water bottle filler if you are trying to avoid spreading the virus... imagine someone slaps their water bottle up to fill it up and they still have slobbers of their own on the bottle top, it touches the filler and now the filler is infected.

DisneyCane

Again, having your economy revolve around one thing (be it citrus or tourism) is not a good practice. Tourism can be important and helpful, but it's not the best thing to center business around. It's too volatile and susceptible to everything from bad weather to a recession.

That's not Disney's fault, and it's not theirs either that the US has such terrible healthcare and social safety nets, but that's another discussion.

I personally don't think the solution to out of work hospitality staff is to reopen their businesses at a loss and risk spreading the virus. That's just the government dumping responsibility on businesses to avoid doing more.
It takes businesses operating to fund the government. The federal government can print money but past a certain point that is going to cause enormous long term issues.

I can't begin to estimate how much sales tax revenue WDW was generating for the State of Florida every day. Whatever the amount is, it's a lot.

TrojanUSC

I'm so stupid but what good will the mass testing and everything do? It's here in the population until herd immunity and also a lot of people are asymptotic.

What more can be done other than researching better treatments for people who have it badly?

What? Herd immunity would involve a vaccine or millions of people dying. The objective, then, is to keep as few of people from dying as possible before we get a treatment or vaccine.

The reason EVERY expert says mass testing is critical is because we need to prevent hospitals from getting overwhelmed, so people can get needed treatment, and slow the infection rate.

The concept of trace/test/isolate is really common in preventing disease spread. This would be just a much bigger version of that:

If you're unwell and get a positive COVID-19 test result, the health department would then theoretically speak to you about where you've been in the last x number of days, who you've been in close contact with, what day you went to the grocery store, etc. They would then reach out to those people/places to inform them and suggest everyone get tested. By doing this you can catch as many people as possible who might have been exposed, encouraging them to get tested. Any with positive results would stay at home, thereby preventing others from getting infected (while a new set of that person's contacts was collected, etc.)

The same system has been used for Hepatitis, HIV and TB for many years. If a restaurant has a worker test positive for Hepatitis they generally notify their customers. If you go get an HIV test and it's positive, the health department asks for a list of your sexual contacts to confidentially notify them to get tested before they could infect someone else. Same concept here, just on a bigger scale.

Read this:

DisneyDoctor

We don’t fully understand why some people develop antibodies without having symptoms or a positive test. It’s likely due to asymptomatic shedders. I’d particularly like all healthcare workers to be tested both for the virus and antibodies. It’s scary to think nurses and doctors could be infecting patients unknowingly. With more testing we could do better to avoid that.

DisneyCane

What? Herd immunity would involve a vaccine or millions of people dying. The objective, then, is to keep as few of people from dying as possible before we get a treatment or vaccine.

The reason EVERY expert says mass testing is critical is because we need to prevent hospitals from getting overwhelmed, so people can get needed treatment, and slow the infection rate.

The concept of trace/test/isolate is really common in preventing disease spread. This would be just a much bigger version of that:

If you're unwell and get a positive COVID-19 test result, the health department would then theoretically speak to you about where you've been in the last x number of days, who you've been in close contact with, what day you went to the grocery store, etc. They would then reach out to those people/places to inform them and suggest everyone get tested. By doing this you can catch as many people as possible who might have been exposed, encouraging them to get tested. Any with positive results would stay at home, thereby preventing others from getting infected, etc.

The same system has been used for Hepatitis, HIV and TB for many years. If a restaurant has a worker test positive for Hepatitis they generally notify their customers. If you go get an HIV test and it's positive, the health department asks for a list of your sexual contacts to confidentially notify them to get tested before they could infect someone else. Same concept here, just on a bigger scale.

Read this:
The problem is the asymptomatic patients. Nobody without symptoms is going to keep getting tested every few days even if the test capacity could handle it. There is also a cost of all these tests. At $100 per test (a number Dr. Birx mentioned), testing the entire population once would cost $33 billion. That would have to be done every couple of days to find all the asymptomatics.

Whatever University in California studied santa Clara county estimated around 50 times the known cases due to asymptomatic cases.

DisneyDoctor

The problem is the asymptomatic patients. Nobody without symptoms is going to keep getting tested every few days even if the test capacity could handle it. There is also a cost of all these tests. At $100 per test (a number Dr. Birx mentioned), testing the entire population once would cost $33 billion. That would have to be done every couple of days to find all the asymptomatics.

Whatever University in California studied santa Clara county estimated around 50 times the known cases due to asymptomatic cases.
As I stated in a previous post I think it would be worthwhile to test all those involved in patient care. I have a nagging hunch that our local hospital is responsible for much of the outbreaks in our state. Of course, I have no data to back this up, just anecdotes. But I know of several physicians who are also suspicious.

DisneyDoctor

Seeds. Basic other retailers to open. A little sense of normalcy,
I understand the desire for normalcy, I’m yearning for it too.

I don’t know the answer to when we can safely open things up. I don’t think anyone knows. I agree, if more data come out that support the studies from CA then I think it’s time to start having these conversations very soon. I’m glad I’m not making the ultimate decision though.

DisneyCane

As I stated in a previous post I think it would be worthwhile to test all those involved in patient care. I have a nagging hunch that our local hospital is responsible for much of the outbreaks in our state. Of course, I have no data to back this up, just anecdotes. But I know of several physicians who are also suspicious.
Where is your local hospital? Testing those involved in patient care would be good, especially those working in nursing homes.

Jrb1979

Seeds. Basic other retailers to open. A little sense of normalcy,
That's where I am at. Start with small businesses, restaurants at first like what is planned. If cases stay low you move to the next step and add more things. I think some sort of social distancing will be the new normal for awhile til we learn more about this virus. It will be awhile til Disney will be open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom