Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom P.

If they follow the gates in the guidelines them nothing should be done too soon. If there is a downward trend in new cases for 14 days, the new cases per day should be very low at that point.

If I had to make a prediction, outside of the NYC metro area, most of the country will meet the criteria for "Phase I" around May 1. Phase 1 doesn't relax things that much.
Yes, the gates should prevent moving into a new stage too soon. But what I am talking about is if they need to actually reverse course and move backward. If they move into Phase 1 and suddenly there is a 20% increase in cases, the idea is not just to sit around and accept that and continue to stay in Phase 1. The idea is to pull back into our current lockdown state if something like that happens. Or if Phase 1 works, but then we move into Phase 2 and there is a big spike, you pull back into Phase 1.

I think many people are looking at these phases as an absolute progression you can follow that will guarantee them a return to normalcy. The fact is that three weeks after implementing Phase 1, we could be right back out of the phases and into lockdown again depending upon the results. I hope that does not happen, but it is a possibility, and I don't think people are prepared to accept that. In fact, I think it would be easier to convince people to stay under current orders another month than it would be to relax the restrictions and then try to tighten up again.

natatomic

Presumably people will be encouraged or mandated to wear masks whenever they’re outside in public or in a group of people so although initially autistic children and adults would find masks stressful it would gradually become part of their routine, through social stories and seeing everyone wearing them so the trauma would potentially recede. I hope for their sake.

I don’t think it’s a matter of seeing people wearing masks or not. For those that have autism, it’s typically a sensory issue. I don’t have autism, and I don’t even like masks. A person who doesn’t like the tags on clothing touching them (something fairly common, I’ve heard, with those that have autism) i’m probably not going to tolerate a mask much better.

Flugell

Just after some advice please. I received an email from WDW today saying the balance of my holiday 28th June -19th of July is due in 14 days. We are in the U.K. and booked flights independently as we are supposed to arrive in the states on 7th June to stay in a villa for the preceding 3 weeks. I don’t imagine that even if WDW is open by then that international travel will be up and regular so we probably won’t be able to get there -even if we wanted to so soon. Should I pay the balance and see what happens or forfeit the deposit- $600 dollars as we have two rooms booked?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just after some advice please. I received an email from WDW today saying the balance of my holiday 28th June -19th of July is due in 14 days. We are in the U.K. and booked flights independently as we are supposed to arrive in the states on 7th June to stay in a villa for the preceding 3 weeks. I don’t imagine that even if WDW is open by then that international travel will be up and regular so we probably won’t be able to get there -even if we wanted to so soon. Should I pay the balance and see what happens or forfeit the deposit- $600 dollars as we have two rooms booked?
I assume you are out the $600 deposit if you cancel now or if you cancel later and they will refund the rest. If that’s the case I’d probably pay the balance in the hope that Disney cancels my reservation for me and I get the $600 back. If you get closer to the arrival date but can’t get a flight you can always cancel then.

Flugell

I assume you are out the $600 deposit if you cancel now or if you cancel later and they will refund the rest. If that’s the case I’d probably pay the balance in the hope that Disney cancels my reservation for me and I get the $600 back. If you get closer to the arrival date but can’t get a flight you can always cancel then.
Thanks, the difficulty is that the closer it gets to the start date the less money they have to return if I cancel! Will try and contact them ,again!, tomorrow and hope I can actually talk to someone and seek their advice. My only concern is that their main interest will be looking after Disney, whereas my main interest is looking after me!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No one is put on a ventilator for coughing a lot - that’s ridiculous

Still not enough testing to test everyone admitted to a hospital in high impact areas.
The testing isn’t even close...

Currently 150K a day is the number...it has to be minimum 3X that...and it may take 5 mil a week to get a good handle on it.

Nobody wants to be responsible for the supply chain for that...nothing is gonna be solved until that’s done.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks, the difficulty is that the closer it gets to the start date the less money they have to return if I cancel! Will try and contact them ,again!, tomorrow and hope I can actually talk to someone and seek their advice. My only concern is that their main interest will be looking after Disney, whereas my main interest is looking after me!!
Thats a tough call. If Disney doesn’t open until after the first day of your trip they would have to refund the full amount but if they do and you can’t get there or don’t want to risk it then you lose a lot of money. It’s a gamble.

Flugell

Thats a tough call. If Disney doesn’t open until after the first day of your trip they would have to refund the full amount but if they do and you can’t get there or don’t want to risk it then you lose a lot of money. It’s a gamble.
Thanks, that’s what I thought........ still none the wiser though!! Lose money either way potentially. ........

Calmdownnow

Just after some advice please. I received an email from WDW today saying the balance of my holiday 28th June -19th of July is due in 14 days. We are in the U.K.
I would respond saying that as the U.S. government has banned you from entering into the U.S. and has given no indication as to when a travel ban might be lifted, you are not in a position to either confirm, or cancel any booking. Ask what steps they are taking to overturn or amend the travel ban. Plus, if they cannot guarantee a confirmed date for a re-opening of parks and resorts that would indicate that the booked services can be provided you want your deposit back.

thomas998

I could have sworn I saw a press conference in Washington where politicians and business leaders were being given "instant tests"(Abbott Laboratories' 15 minute test) to determine if they were positive or negative. Was I dreaming?
I thought that was an antibody test.

Flugell

I would respond saying that as the U.S. government has banned you from entering into the U.S. and has given no indication as to when a travel ban might be lifted, you are not in a position to either confirm, or cancel any booking. Ask what steps they are taking to overturn or amend the travel ban. Plus, if they cannot guarantee a confirmed date for a re-opening of parks and resorts that would indicate that the booked services can be provided you want your deposit back.
Good advice. I’ll test it out tomorrow. Thanks for help one and all

Lilofan

People who suffer from obesity should not be in areas with large amounts of people anytime soon.
That's true. The reports out of NYC were that a good amount of the covid deaths were unhealthy to begin with, namely being obese.

icc2515

out of shape cliente with masks in high heat and humidity could spell other health emergencies on property. Difficult to constantly hydrate when masked.
I read a lot about people on this forum coming up with excuses as to why they or other people should not wear a mask. If it is mandated by Disney or the government the you have to wear a mask in public it will not be a problem. Because those people should not be going to Disney while that mandate is in effect. Masks protect. They protect the wearer and more importantly they protect everybody else from the wearer.

Calmdownnow

I thought that was an antibody test.

They had a later announcement about an anti-body test, but this was what the WH was promoting in early April:
Abbott’s 15-Minute COVID-19 Test Authorized for Emergency Use
March 30, 2020
The FDA granted an Emergency Use Authorization to Abbot Laboratories’ point-of-care COVID-19 test that can deliver results in less than 15 minutes.
The rapid molecular point-of-care test delivers positive COVID-19 results in five minutes and negative results in 13 minutes.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That's true. The reports out of NYC were that a good amount of the covid deaths were unhealthy to begin with, namely being obese.

Comorbidity for obesity has not been established in the US cases, these have by a Johns Hopkins study published on the 3rd:

1587338069652.png

lilypgirl

Comorbidity for obesity has not been established in the US cases, these have by a Johns Hopkins study published on the 3rd:

View attachment 464889

“Dr. Gulick’s review of data from the first 393 Covid-19 patients admitted to NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital identified obesity as a risk factor for admission. He also found that among adults under the age of 54, half live with obesity, though the New York City obesity rate is only 22 percent.

One of the largest U.S. studies to identify obesity as a prominent risk factor analyzed data from more than 4,000 Covid-19 patients who sought care at NYU Langone Health between March 1 and April 2.“

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
“Dr. Gulick’s review of data from the first 393 Covid-19 patients admitted to NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital identified obesity as a risk factor for admission. He also found that among adults under the age of 54, half live with obesity, though the New York City obesity rate is only 22 percent.

One of the largest U.S. studies to identify obesity as a prominent risk factor analyzed data from more than 4,000 Covid-19 patients who sought care at NYU Langone Health between March 1 and April 2.“

That's a review, not a study. It also doesnt establish if those obese patients had other issues (which might have been a result of obesity) that were a comorbidity factor. It lacks rigor.

I can observe that the majority of the Covid-19 patients had two arms and an eye, just as equally valid.

thomas998

Abbott’s 15-Minute COVID-19 Test Authorized for Emergency Use
March 30, 2020
The FDA granted an Emergency Use Authorization to Abbot Laboratories’ point-of-care COVID-19 test that can deliver results in less than 15 minutes.
The rapid molecular point-of-care test delivers positive COVID-19 results in five minutes and negative results in 13 minutes.
Wow, I have to think if it is for emergency use that it must be very scarce or extremely expensive...I wonder which it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom