Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calmdownnow

or there is a large outbreak in Orlando.
Florida is one of the four locations cited by the VP in tonight's press conference as experiencing community contact spread, so whilst the reported numbers are not large currently, the state appears to be high on the task force's radar.

Interestingly, they also came clean on the "numbers tested" issue and admitted that they don't currently have a system for counting private medicine and hospital tests, only the much smaller number of tests conducted through public health.

flutas

I hear you. Flu is a serious disease. Anywhere from 15,000 to 40,000 deaths a year in the US. But you don’t see society grinding to a halt because of the flu. But one Coronavirus case, “Run for your lives!”

Ah yes, one....hundred fourteen thousand and two hundred ninety nine cases. :rolleyes:

Or are we talking about deaths? Already at 26 out of 624 cases.... There's that darned 3.X% rate again... tell me how many cases of the flu are there again?...

JohnD

In the case of South Korea with robust testing (large sample size), large positive test results, and world class heath care, has only a 0.7% mortality rate.

Extrapolate from world wide deaths, the infected population is around 570,000 not 100,000.

You’re all making my point. No one goes bat sh** crazy over the flu, demanding hands be washed for 20 sec, use hand sanitizer everywhere (yes, I’m aware that hand washing is more effective), people should self-quarantine if infected, etc. I’m not saying you shouldn’t take flu seriously if you have it. You should. Imagine if the media treated the flu like they do COVID 19. You would be a hermit for the rest of your life.

surfsupdon

Unrelated but related. At red lobster tonight, the hostess let a family of 10 take photos with a lobster out of the tank. Literally holding it touching it, etc. I figured no harm it's about to be cooked. Nope, she out it back in the tank with the other lobsters.
This is common. I’ve got 21 years experience at a summer job in a fish market. People pose with lobsters all the time. The lobster will be boiled- cooked. All good.

JohnD

Ah yes, one....hundred fourteen thousand and two hundred ninety nine cases. :rolleyes:

Or are we talking about deaths? Already at 26 out of 624 cases.... There's that darned 3.X% rate again... tell me how many cases of the flu are there again?...

I said “US” and you cited world wide. You’re mixing apples and oranges. The US has 624 cases of COVID 19. That’s cases not deaths. Meanwhile flu DEATHS are in the 10s of thousands in the US.

DisneyCane

Or are we talking about deaths? Already at 4,025 out of that 114,000 cases.... tell me how many cases of the flu are there again?...

You need to put a caveat that the denominator is "confirmed cases." Outside of South Korea where the mortality and serious/critical illness rate is MUCH lower, no country has done enough testing to find a significant number of the mild or asymptomatic cases. South Korea has and their fatality rate is currently at 0.7%, far lower than the word as a whole (and this is on 7,478 confirmed cases, the most outside of China and Italy).

Lilofan

You’re all making my point. No one goes bat sh** crazy over the flu, demanding hands be washed for 20 sec, use hand sanitizer everywhere (yes, I’m aware that hand washing is more effective), people should self-quarantine if infected, etc. I’m not saying you shouldn’t take flu seriously if you have it. You should. Imagine if the media treated the flu like they do COVID 19. You would be a hermit for the rest of your life.
The flu didn't cause the stock market to do what it did, cripple the tourism and travel industry world wide and cause the lockdown of Italy with a population of 60 million.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Here’s some good stats on both Flu and Corona

danitaytay

Oh no no no...

You’re in the CP trap already. “Future with the company”? You’re more likely to be pigeon holed because they know you’re willing to accept less to be a cog in the machine .

You don’t listen to the “recruiters” do you?

The future I dream of definitely isn’t your typical CP ambitions. I actually want to be a zookeeper at DAK. But I do get where you’re coming from and I’ve heard lots of horror stories...but for someone in my field Disney is at the top of the chain when it comes to zoos and conservation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom