Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Noble Fish

Well we decided to postpone our trip for next week til the virus dies down
I would go next week, personally, if you're just driving, and really even if you're flying. Now cruises on the other hand, I'd postpone due to the risks being stuck at sea for weeks.

But that doesn't rid this of its seriousness, it's just not impactful in the present to be concerned as an individual right now (especially in non-outbreak areas). It's the future that people will need to be concerned about while the government should do its job speaking truthfully, and properly slowing down its spread.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
That darned flu with only a 3.4% fatality rate. :rolleyes:

But it had such fabulous public service announcements!

cold_ad1.jpg

Nubs70

That darned flu with only a 3.4% fatality rate. :rolleyes:
In the case of South Korea with robust testing (large sample size), large positive test results, and world class heath care, has only a 0.7% mortality rate.

Extrapolate from world wide deaths, the infected population is around 570,000 not 100,000.

techgeek

I understand there are no confirmed cases in the greater Orlando area today.

However.

Could somebody please explain your logic in rationalizing that somehow WDW is *not* an extremely high risk area for exposure?

- Tens of thousands of people in cramped, close contact conditions, touching and interacting with common attraction surfaces. No reasonable opportunity for social distancing.

- Broad mix of tourist origin and destinations, including a significant international percentage.

- Short turnovers relative to the incubation period. Many people may leave WDW before exhibiting symptoms if potentially contracted on property.

- Higher then normal percentage of people willing to change behavior due to symptoms. Sunk cost of significant vacation expense and time motivates a vacation-while-sick mentally.

People are reporting infections from far more benign interactions. WDW is not an island, rather it’s one of the most connected and diversely attended places on the planet.

flutas

In the case of South Korea with robust testing (large sample size), large positive test results, and world class heath care, has only a 0.7% mortality rate.

Extrapolate from world wide deaths, the infected population is around 570,000 not 100,000.

"If I make up my own random data it doesn't seem as bad!"

I'll continue to use the real data thanks.

At this point I'm sure I've ignored half the thread, apparently half this thread thinks Italy just closed because they felt like it on this fine Monday afternoon.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

However.

Could somebody please explain your logic in rationalizing that somehow WDW is *not* an extremely high risk area for exposure?

- Tens of thousands of people in cramped, close contact conditions, touching and interacting with common attraction surfaces. No reasonable opportunity for social distancing.

- Broad mix of tourist origin and destinations, including a significant international percentage.

- Short turnovers relative to the incubation period. Many people may leave WDW before exhibiting symptoms if potentially contracted on property.

- Higher then normal percentage of people willing to change behavior due to symptoms. Sunk cost of significant vacation expense and time motivates a vacation-while-sick mentally.

People are reporting infections from far more benign interactions. WDW is not an island, rather it’s one of the most connected and diversely attended places on the planet.

I'm pretty sure no one has said it isn't an extremely high risk area. More that washing hands and following basic flu-prevention protocol will keep one safe from infection. After all, life's a roll of the dice. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Nubs70

"If I make up my own random data it doesn't seem as bad!"

I'll continue to use the real data thanks.

At this point I'm sure I've ignored half the thread, apparently half this thread thinks Italy just closed because they felt like it on this fine Monday afternoon.
Johns Hopkins CSSE is random data?

A Noble Fish

I have no plans to cancel mine at this point. Flu is everywhere and has never gotten this kind of coverage.
You're right about not canceling a trip now. That's completely unnecessary. Where you're wrong is that it's akin to influenza.

From a public health situation, and with anyone that sees past tomorrow, it does matter.

If COVID-19 is allowed to spread like the flu is every year, according to all evidence, you will see over a million Americans dying to it a year. That's worth preventing its spread. Its inevitable spread, however, does not need WDW to close from a health perspective right now. Maybe next month, but there are no large-scale outbreaks in Florida yet that would warrant such measures, and globally, tourists aren't from outbreak areas so it's a moot point.

However.

It doesn't matter because it's too early. By that logic the entire country should go on a monthlong lockdown and all borders should be closed. WDW shoudn't close unless there are a lot of cases in Orlando. It's about slowing its spread in outbreak areas, not closing down the entire country.

If/when there are known cases at WDW, it most likely should close. The important thing is that we have enough test kits to actually understand the numbers, and take it seriously. People not knowing they have it is more of an issue when known cases start to appear unless the entire country needs to shut down. Closing school systems where there are many known cases is a great idea to prevent this type of spread, but it shouldn't close yet. WDW should have signs in place for protocols regarding handwashing and properly coughing.

Freaking out or denying the scenario is completely inappropriate, illogical, and uncalled for as so many people in this country are currently doing.

Last edited:

Lilofan

That's so they can have all the resources to slow its spread. A good move, but not one to panic over. Thankfully now they're governing instead of trying to suppress voters.

They're playing the long game with COVID-19 due to its modeled dangers.
Yes and receive the much needed funding from Washington. DeSantis needs help and by declaring a state of emergency in FL he knows he needed to pull the trigger. There is going to be loss and tremendous hardship among FL residents and the number#1 industry in FL- tourism, so declaring a state of emergency is the right move by the Governor.👍

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First:
That's an estimate - and no one really knows.
Estimates can be way off.
In any event...
Some 500, 000 people die from hear attacks annually in the US.
I'm far more concerned about that.
Difference being they can diagnose and treat millions others?
Contestant for what?
I'm not going to die from this virus - I promise you.
Otherwise - I really don't care.
I really don't.
On today’s episode of DENIAL for Disney!!

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Unrelated but related. At red lobster tonight, the hostess let a family of 10 take photos with a lobster out of the tank. Literally holding it touching it, etc. I figured no harm it's about to be cooked. Nope, she out it back in the tank with the other lobsters.

drizgirl

Unrelated but related. At red lobster tonight, the hostess let a family of 10 take photos with a lobster out of the tank. Literally holding it touching it, etc. I figured no harm it's about to be cooked. Nope, she out it back in the tank with the other lobsters.
Pretty stupid, and probably against all sorts of food handling laws. But unless they serve raw lobster, it wouldn't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom