Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

flutas

Ummm, no. Stop ignoring the data from South Korea which is the most accurate available for total number of infected in a given population. It might kill 25 million in your scenario. That also assumes that none of the treatments being tested do anything to lower the mortality rate. As crass as it is to say, 25 million is only 0.33% of the population. Even your high estimate is only 1.3% of the population.

The Spanish flu of 1918 killed between 0.9% and 2.7% of the worldwide population (possibly even more depending on the study estimates) and the world kept turning and life went on for the other 97% of the population. In fact, it wasn't that long afterwards when the "roaring 20s" began.

Ummm, no. Stop ignoring the data from the entire world which is the most accurate available. It might kill 89,456,347.5068 million. That also assumes that the hospitals being overrun with sick don't kill more "mild" cases and others who can't get access to healthcare.

Note: data sources as I was typing this using ALL of the world's data. Not a cherry picked sample to make myself look good. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe Baseball's the only one with exemption from monopoly status.
MLB has an official court ruling but the rest of the leagues have been operating the same way in practice even though they aren’t part of the official legal ruling.
Plus they are already playing empty stadium games in pro baseball in Japan and soccer in Italy (who now have out right cancelled all the games for 2 week period). So it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Absolutely it can happen. TV revenue is bigger than ticket sales in most cases so they wouldn’t lose all revenue. With a theme park it’s all or nothing.
Well, they can do what sports do. Perform in front of no one.
No way. If you have ever been to a PJ show the crowd plays as big a part as the band itself...at least that’s what Eddie always tells us ;) They postponed the Apollo show in Harlem too :(

ImperfectPixie

Ummm, no. Stop ignoring the data from the entire world which is the most accurate available. It might kill 89,456,347.5068 million. That also assumes that the hospitals being overrun with sick don't kill more "mild" cases and others who can't get access to healthcare.

Note: data sources as I was typing this using ALL of the world's data. Not a cherry picked sample to make myself look good. ;)
If you had any clue about how scientific research works, you'd understand that a larger sampling results in more accurate results. South Korea is the ONLY country doing extensive testing and reporting. You are choosing to use data that is basically incomplete.

DisneyCane

The data for serious illness and mortality rates can not be accurate unless you do mass testing to catch people with mild cases or no symptoms at all.

The data from anywhere else is useless when trying to project the actual impact of the disease. Also, even if 33% of the world got infected, they aren't all sick simultaneously. Of the 114,416 total confirmed cases, 68,107 of them already had an outcome (either cured or died). There are currently only 46,309 confirmed active cases in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

VaderTron

This is common. I’ve got 21 years experience at a summer job in a fish market. People pose with lobsters all the time. The lobster will be boiled- cooked. All good.
I guess that Lobster made its way from the ocean to your plate without anyone touching it...🤪

If less than 8 people touched that lobster in its normal water-to-table process I would be shocked. Want to talk about people who work sick and/or don't wash their hands often (swishing hands around in the ocean counts, right?) spend a day watching workers on a commercial fishing vessel.

DisneyCane

Well two determinants will be: 1) the State declares an emergency and adopts emergency powers and 2) the liability insurers say we won't cover you for claims if cases show infection being spread on your property.

The state would have to essentially declare martial law to do that. The insurers won't be able to change the terms of their contracts mid stream.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The state would have to essentially declare martial law to do that. The insurers won't be able to change the terms of their contracts mid stream.

You’re way overthinking this...Disney’s entire business is about perceptions...

A little boy went in the water with an alligator and they built 2 miles of rock work, a statue and started a memorial fund:

Perception is always their reality.

Did you actually suggest they’d stay open as their staff called in sick till they couldn’t get Peter Pan up and running?

Want to calm down and take another look at that sentience?

DisneyCane

You’re way overthinking this...Disney’s entire business is about perceptions...

A little boy went in the water with an alligator and they built 2 miles of rock work, a statue and started a memorial fund:

Perception is always their reality.

Did you actually suggest they’d stay open as their staff called in sick till they couldn’t get Peter Pan up and running?

Want to calm down and take another look at that sentience?

No, what I'm saying is that Disney is a business. They will calculate the profit or loss to operate (if possible with staff availability) vs. the loss incurred by shutting down and make a business decision.

Even if they got some bad PR, do you think that it will really have a long term effect? Once the outbreak is over/contained I don't think large numbers of people in general will stop going to WDW because there was some spread that happened there.

Calmdownnow

Florida governor has already declared a state of emergency, I believe. The insurer would not -- probably -- have to change the terms of the contract, just indicate they had given sound advice based on prevailing conditions (e.g. to close doors) that had not been followed and therefore insurance would be void.

hopemax

Pot meet kettle.

South Korea is the best REAL numbers we have to go by because they are doing mass testing.

The mass testing is a double edged sword though. Yes, all those "positives, but mild cases" keeps the mortality rate down. But all the testing gets those positives "off the streets" faster. Which also keeps the mortality rate down because those people aren't going to visit their "high risk" family members, or going to their jobs where they interact with "high risk" customers. That is something that isn't happening in the US, and there will be consequences.

The places I am keeping my ear out for are the assisted living communities, senior centers, care centers etc, since those are where the fatalities will occur. My concern, is that we are still in the early phase and so those consequences of younger, healthier, but positive individuals interacting with the high risk population haven't been felt yet. And since we have inadequate testing, we have no idea when that time bomb is going to explode and if our hospitals and necessary equipment will be able to cope with it. The problem Italy is now facing.

So I don't really see how South Korea's low mortality rate really helps us predict anything when we have likely many "positive but asymptomatic or mild cases" interacting with the 70 million people in the US that are over the age of 60 when we aren't taking the same steps to control the spread.

Nubs70

Ah yes, one....hundred fourteen thousand and two hundred ninety nine cases. :rolleyes:

Or are we talking about deaths? Already at 26 out of 624 cases.... There's that darned 3.X% rate again... tell me how many cases of the flu are there again?...
Please tell me the US coronivirus testing is on par or superior to that of South Korea.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For those in the thread who continue to think this is "no big deal" or "just a flu." You're right.
  • Google I/O
  • SXSW
  • GDC
  • Seattle Comic Con
  • Twitchcon Amsterdam
  • Adobe Summit
  • Facebook F8
  • Mobile World Congress
  • Code for America Summit
  • Disney+ launch event in europe
  • Geneva International Motor Show
  • The entire country of Italy
  • Tokyo Disney Resort
  • Shanghai Disneyland Resort
  • Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
All shut down over a simple flu that obviously is minor and should be ignored.

Just make sure we all fly to South Korea for our treatment because that country apparently is all that matters to the world wide numbers. ;)

I'll depart on a little note about South Korea and their testing...

We need to remember that the majority of South Korea cases are part of the Shincheonji cult cluster (around 60%). Why is this important? It means that the focus of testing and cases have been concentrated in this particular cluster. As this is exhausted, the overall rate of increase in number of cases will appear to decline, but this says nothing about the rate of infection or the progression of the disease in the general population. We're generalising a natural trend in one very specific cluster to the wider population.

The second issue is the question of the death rate in South Korea, which on the face of it appears to be much lower than other places (around 0.6-0.7%). This is correct on the figures we have. But again, the weight of the Shincheonji sect within these figures gives us a misleading impression. This sect is generally composed of younger people - and indeed, if we look at the age breakdown of the South Korea cases this is clearly apparent, with 60% of cases below the age 50) - then we get a skewed death rate. If the infection spreads to a wider population then this demographic profile will undoubtedly change.

Just today a call center in Guro was confirmed as having close to 40 cases. Just because you think the numbers favor your world view, you should know the actual reasoning about the numbers and not just spew them out like some kind of sound byte on a soundboard.
Neither of the 2 extremes is accurate. This is not just a flu (although I’m not sure anyone has actually said that except for you...straw man argument?). The world is also not ending. This is a worldwide pandemic and it’s obviously impacting things on a sCale we have never seen. That being said, there are some very easy and practical ways to reduce spread of the disease. We should focus on that instead of arguing semantics or running around like chickens without heads. The worldwide stats matter, but so do the stats in S Korea. More data and research is needed before we can jump to a conclusion on whether it’s an outlier or the new norm.

My final point on this is some personal advice for everyone...it’s free so take it or leave it. Relax, there are going to be people who disagree on things especially hot topics like this. Resorting to personal attacks just fills up he thread with pointless posts and makes people more likely to miss actual good points you make. None of us knows how this will turn out. Let’s all hope WDW doesn’t have to close and we all stay healthy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The mass testing is a double edged sword though. Yes, all those "positives, but mild cases" keeps the mortality rate down. But all the testing gets those positives "off the streets" faster. Which also keeps the mortality rate down because those people aren't going to visit their "high risk" family members, or going to their jobs where they interact with "high risk" customers. That is something that isn't happening in the US, and there will be consequences.

The places I am keeping my ear out for are the assisted living communities, senior centers, care centers etc, since those are where the fatalities will occur. My concern, is that we are still in the early phase and so those consequences of younger, healthier, but positive individuals interacting with the high risk population haven't been felt yet. And since we have inadequate testing, we have no idea when that time bomb is going to explode and if our hospitals and necessary equipment will be able to cope with it. The problem Italy is now facing.

So I don't really see how South Korea's low mortality rate really helps us predict anything when we have likely many "positive but asymptomatic or mild cases" interacting with the 70 million people in the US that are over the age of 60 when we aren't taking the same steps to control the spread.
I look at S Korea as an example of what the US should work towards...and quickly. Get the damn tests out there and find out what’s really going on.

MuteSuperstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom