Status
Not open for further replies.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
If you actually look at the economic impacts of 1918-1919, the countries that did the most stringent precautions rebounded faster/better than those that tried for “less disruption”

We did after all......follow up the "Spanish Flu" with the "Roaring Twenties".

Problem was....we followed up the "Roaring Twenties" with the "Great Depression"

celluloid

You know what the poster meant. The mortality rate is MUCH higher in the elderly population. This is an undisputed fact analyzing every country that has been hit.

You can not protect every single person from possibly being killed by this virus just like you can't protect every six month old from possibly being killed in a car accident.

I agree that we are going to have to get to this point eventually. I hope it happens sooner than later when this is just another unfortunate virus on this earth. When it becomes another inherent risk.

This will(likely, hopefully) be the future of the disease going forward. Another virus and hopefully one day with a vaccine that most people chose to get. We just took my kid to a pediatrician the other day for his five year old check up. She had a great point. She noticed a lot of the people angry at others and judging why people are out and about are going to be often the same ones who refuse the flu vaccine every year. The vaccines every year may not be perfect, but like this temporary goal of isolation, it is not just about the healthy person, it is about carrying it to an infant or someone who cannot get the shot. Not comparing the rates, but just the fact that it can be prevented with a simple choice, and so many(myself in the past) have gone on without getting the shot. It changed my perspective on it, especially since I have a son about to go into school and a wife who is pregnant due in the summer. For my child's safety and other infants around the world, my entire family is going to likely get the shot.

Animaniac93-98

We need to extinguish the armchair economist/analyst cries for production and handle the problem.

But you'll notice the member you quoted just joined an hour before to make that post.

One that paraphrases what others have been saying about "the cure can't be worse than the disease".

I think this is the new pet project for certain bots/people who are being paid to control the message online.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But you'll notice the member you quoted just joined an hour before to make that post.

One that paraphrases what others have been saying about "the cure can't be worse than the disease".

I think this is the new pet project for certain bots/people who are being paid to control the message online.
It’s also the “talking points“ from certain sources out there. Could be as simple as regurgitating what’s heard in the echo chamber.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I saw it...

I’m just highlighting again how stupid the tag lines from the incompetent become to make the common sense point.

Like I said: “extinguish”

ImperfectPixie

Also equally possible, but that's how misinformation about the virus has been spreading faster than the virus itself.
My favorite is the chart that shows the levels of protection against viruses each mask provides posted as an excuse not to wear one. How about we ALL wear one and protect each other?

ETA: I'm referring to being posted on social media in general. That thing is being tossed around all over the place.

Last edited:

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
My favorite is the chart that shows the levels of protection against viruses each mask provides posted as an excuse not to wear one. How about we ALL wear one and protect each other?

I'm already getting my ready. Let's wear masks, carry hand sanitizer, and start preparing ourselves for this reality for a couple of years so we can start moving towards loosening the restrictions.

Tom P.

I have been primarily following the medical aspects of this on a close basis, and have been ignoring the economic experts and their opinions on the matter.

2008 Nobel prize winner in economics seems to believe opening too soon is not a good idea. First economics expert I have seen say that but again I have been reading along the medical aspect of thing, so not sure what other economists have been saying.

Hmm. I don't want to wade into a political discussion lest I violate the board rules. So I won't discuss specific points or issues. However, Nobel prize or not, I wouldn't trust Paul Krugman if he told me that a dollar was 100 cents.

That being said, I agree with the basic premise that we should not be rushing to open things back up again too quickly.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s also the “talking points“ from certain sources out there. Could be as simple as regurgitating what’s heard in the echo chamber.

The conversation and debate is valid... its not just some moronic regurgitated thing like “its a hoax”... it just needs to be undertaken where all consequences are properly represented. Usually in the talking head world... some of the consequences are downplayed to “its just the flu...” or “how many people are worth it..” etc to skew the conclusion to their favor.

Its a option... but its been hijacked by people with an agenda.... and many running around yelling it now are just parrotting.

The key to any convincing platform/conspiracy is to have some slivers of truth in there... they just go off the rails in how they extrapolate or twist from there.

DisneyCane

I think it is important that:

1) NOBODY IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC ACQUIRE AN N95 UNTIL THERE ARE MORE THAN NEEDED FOR HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS and;
2) If we are going to go through this "social distancing" stuff, do not use wearing a mask as a reason to ignore separation.

Dan Deesnee

Also equally possible, but that's how misinformation about the virus has been spreading faster than the virus itself.

Wait you think the economic damage, and the pain that will cause on millions of families that poster mentioned is misinformation?

Please tell me I'm reading your comment wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom