Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
All brilliant ideas that could keep ANY retail business thriving. The downside is as the summer rolls in, these parking lots are going to be baking in the sun. I'll be dreaming of the wonderful Disney switchbacks with their fans and misters...
In the UK we live for the parking lots to be baking!
It depends what area of maintenance you are talking about. There is still a core team on-site. They aren't going to let multi-billion dollar assets rust away or become overgrown - the Magic Kingdom is no River Country.
Things are getting overgrown already. But anything that needs cycling as part of PPM should get it.

TrojanUSC

In the UK we live for the parking lots to be baking!

Things are getting overgrown already. But anything that needs cycling as part of PPM should get it.

of course, landscaping is not going to be “show ready” but they’ll continue to do the bare minimum.

and yeah limited ride cycling where necessary etc. I know a very small handfull of people who are staying on for this purpose.

Lilofan

First of all, nobody is being laid off - they are being placed on furlough, which means they are still employees just not working or being paid at the moment. Second of all, they aren't furloughing everyone. A core team of cast members and contractors will remain, to keep the grounds maintained, rides in working order and to handle all maintenance & security needs.

Disney is not wrong here. As a stockholder, you should know the business was not built to sustain paying 80,000+ people when there is no revenue. What would you like them to do if this goes on for 6 months?

You should be happy that Disney is continuing to pay for the healthcare of their employees in this critical time. You should also be happy the federal CARE act is providing most of the CMs you mention above, when combined with state unemployment, a higher weekly wage than they'd be earning if they were working.

This is an unfortunate situation for everyone but frankly it is the best outcome given the circumstances.
I would not be upfront and saying nobody is being laid off. That's really wishful thinking in this global pandemic. When the smoke clears, some will probably no longer work for Disney when the operation resumes again. That is reality not fantasy.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Vietnam has banned public gatherings of more than two people. Hong Kong has closed nightclubs, karaoke bars and mah-jongg parlors, and deployed health inspectors to check that restaurants are seating parties at least six feet apart. Singapore on Friday said that schools and nonessential businesses would close for a month, a sweeping shutdown it had avoided until now."

JoeCamel

Our equivalent of Publix - or similar - is restricting the amount of people inside at any one time depending on store size. They’ve built switchbacks in the parking lot where those wanting to enter queue single file, 6-8 ft apart. Once a store reaches enforced capacity it’s one out, one in. There is still a restriction of 3 of any one product.

Yesterday 4/2 HD had switchbacks in the parking lot, portable canopies for shade and were only allowing 100 persons in the store at a time. At Publix it was open to all with very little distancing. This is a retirement community of 25,000+

zengoth

Can you imagine thousands of people sitting in their cars in the MK parking lot with their engines running/AC on waiting for their boarding pass to get into the park when another party leaves...? I know it is logistically impossible, but you never know what people will allow themselves to put up with when the alternative is nothing...

seascape

of course, landscaping is not going to be “show ready” but they’ll continue to do the bare minimum.

and yeah limited ride cycling where necessary etc. I know a very small handfull of people who are staying on for this purpose.
In New York and New Jersey my landscapers are still mowing the grass and pruning the bushes. I guess the states decide they are essential. Anyway if they weren't my grass would grow too high.

celluloid

Yesterday 4/2 HD had switchbacks in the parking lot, portable canopies for shade and were only allowing 100 persons in the store at a time. At Publix it was open to all with very little distancing. This is a retirement community of 25,000+

That is one of the things about the retirement age being the most effected, the Baby Boomer generation, many who get to the age that is the target vulnerability are going to be resiliant to locking down. Often the media targets the young to assist and remain from being out, which I get because the young can be more venturous and social, but the elderly are often not going to let anyone tell them how to live once they get to a certain point in age. They are often the reason that you see so much traffic in rush hour, even when retired, they are creatures of habbit who want to be out shopping at the same time. Obviously there are no absolutes but most with parents or grandparents understand that at a certain point they are often the hardest to get to be compliant.

techgeek

I doubt Disney landscaping crews are essential crew. They're home like everyone else.

I believe a great deal of Disney landscaping is contracted out.

Luckily it's been a dry spring so far in Florida, but at some point we have to consider mowing the grass essential otherwise the grass starts... eating things. Subtropical climate and all that.

lazyboy97o

I doubt Disney landscaping crews are essential crew. They're home like everyone else.
I believe a great deal of Disney landscaping is contracted out.

Luckily it's been a dry spring so far in Florida, but at some point we have to consider mowing the grass essential otherwise the grass starts... eating things. Subtropical climate and all that.
Like construction crews, landscaping crews have been deemed essential and are allowed to continue working. It does not matter if they are direct employees or a vendor. Disney choosing not to employ their services would be their own decision and not mandated by local or state government.

trainplane3

My mid-90s grandmother and her husband (who is my grandfather figure) live at a retirement home.

Today I was informed that an employee at the facility tested positive.
We had a situation like that at a nursing home here. It's really exploding rapidly there:

Not a good situation.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No

That was not the case at my HD in PA last Sunday. Started a project at home needed some wire. Placed my order online and went in for the pick up. No real restrictions in the store besides a few announcements and tape on the floor. People all over wandering around looking at patio furniture and the like. Not many people buying the "essentials" and we are in a decently affected part of the state.

ImperfectPixie

The New England Patriots CEO Robert Craft had the football team's personal plane fly to China and back to MA to purchase 1.2 million N95 masks for a sale price of $2 million. He's looking out for his state of MA who he purchased the masks for.
Interestingly, an order Baker had placed for 3 million masks through BJs Wholesale Club was confiscated in the port of New York.

Jwink

I wouldn't be 100% confident to be honest. With parks and resorts predicted to open up slowly later in the summer , the parks would have limited offerings ( aka dining, parts of resorts shuttered, limited park hours, not all venues open including entertainment, parades, fireworks ). I'm sure there are cast that work directly and behind the scenes so I say areas will be impacted including the difficult call by Disney on what gets cut / streamlined and how many staff are actually needed to work. It's strictly a business decision but it also is very personal. NOTHING is safe.
What is the point of saying this to her? Seriously...did you not see the part where she has two kids too? Just stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom