Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

So the question about liquor being an essential item that could save lives has me wondering if people are generally calmer or more aggressive when allowed to consume modest amounts of liquor. I'd think the police would want the former particularly during these times. I just don't know how the average person behaves in general when drinking.

I do know my cat makes a mean drunk.

It has been said for decades drinking alone or in the home is the most dangerous form of drinking because it is most likely to cause excess. Peer pressure is not good and driving of course terrible choice, but when people go out they tend to moderate better and not get deadly levels of alcohol in their blood.
And since this is a time of isolation for many and people remaining alone or with their domestic situation, not the best time to take up drinking.

ImperfectPixie

You can have your opinion. That doesn’t make it right. You don’t want hospitals that are stretched to the max dealing with those issues right now.
Thank you. That’s the point I was trying to make.
So the question about liquor being an essential item that could save lives has me wondering if people are generally calmer or more aggressive when allowed to consume modest amounts of liquor. I'd think the police would want the former particularly during these times. I just don't know how the average person behaves in general when drinking.

I do know my cat makes a mean drunk.
My husband is hoping I get an urge to have some Alabama Slammers just for the entertainment factor. 😂😂😂

ETA: I’m a “once in a great while and only for fun” drinker. I tend to get really silly.

natatomic

What type of entertainment? And you mean you’re afraid they’ll begin laying off entertainment down the road if it continues on and and on? My husband is in entertainment too
He’s a singer. I don’t think ALL entertainment would be cut from Disney. Guests love shows and characters and performances. But it’s expensive to run and not a direct money maker, so I could imagine it could be an area where cuts are made to save money. I like to think my husband’s group is safe, but realistically, I also know nothing is safe. Time will tell.

note2001

It has been said for decades drinking alone or in the home is the most dangerous form of drinking because it is most likely to cause excess. Peer pressure is not good and driving of course terrible choice, but when people go out they tend to moderate better and not get deadly levels of alcohol in their blood.
And since this is a time of isolation for many and people remaining alone or with their domestic situation, not the best time to take up drinking.
Good points.

No catnip for you Mister Wiggins.

Jwink

He’s a singer. I don’t think ALL entertainment would be cut from Disney. Guests love shows and characters and performances. But it’s expensive to run and not a direct money maker, so I could imagine it could be an area where cuts are made to save money. I like to think my husband’s group is safe, but realistically, I also know nothing is safe. Time will tell.
My husband is support for the shows- hoping he’s safe too

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services issued an Emergency Order on Thursday that sets a civil fine of up to $1,000 for violating orders related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak."

ImperfectPixie

That it is. I'm glad I'm not one, but I know those who suffer from it. If I was one, I couldn't even drink beer. I get sick off of it. Same with wine. Has to be liquor.
I know many as well. Addiction runs in my family...I consider myself very fortunate that my biggest vices are cigarettes and caffeine....when I was young I was certainly headed down a path that could have turned out very differently.

Interesting that beer makes you feel sick...I’m the same way after a few sips, so I avoid it completely. I do enjoy some Riesling from time to time, but I’m a mixed drink gal usually.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Stores that sell essential items should be allowed to stay open even if they sell non-essential items too. Just because the store is open and is selling non-essential items doesn’t mean people should be going out just to buy non-essential stuff. People have to take responsibility for their own actions and learn to follow simple guidelines from the government. Direct from the CDC guidelines on doing your part to slow the spread of the coronavirus: “Avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips and social visits”. If you are at the grocery store buying food and grab a bottle of liquor or a magazine or a candy bar or something else non-essential it’s not a big deal. At most you are spending an extra few minutes in public. Making a special trip just to shop at Target or Home Depot for non-essential stuff is a bigger deal. Use common sense. Stay home as much as possible. It shouldn’t take a government order to stop people.

lisa12000

Political Discussion is not allowed outside of the correct forum
This argument about essential and non essential still rumbles on in the uk. Many of our stores such as The Range and Home
bargains are open as they sell food stuff and homeware which are deemed essential

the problem we have is the policing of our restrictions as our law enforcement have had to have a reminder to use common sense after confronting people in shops who bought Easter eggs because they’re none essential and saying it was against rules and trying to fine a man who drew spacing lines outside his shop with graffiti! we have pictures of our local police on Facebook showing social distancing posing for photos in parks whilst shaming people in background for being a group of three not two (not sure if same household) and drones being usedfor solitary walkers in country areas and put on Facebook for shaming purposes (because they drove there) - we have also had officers turning round groups of cars for non essential journeys when they werekey workers and kids sent home even when they were all brothers!

jts okay having draconian powers as long as they’re not misused! There is an element of fatigue setting in totally over here already and in my street (and please don’t call this racist!) there are certain cultures that are totally non compliant and carrting on as normal

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Marvel Unlimited — the Marvel digital subscription service — is offering free access to a slew of iconic Marvel comic books, including stories with characters like the Avengers, Spider-Man, Captain America, Captain Marvel and the X-Men.

Normally, Marvel Unlimited costs about $9.99 a month. It gives you access to most of Marvel’s archive of comics, save for anything released within the last six months. But this new package is completely free.

The comics will be available from Thursday, April 2, to Monday, May 4."

Disney Analyst

If some aren't allowed to buy alcohol, they'll drink the hand sanitizer.

Sadly, not a joke.

It’s also very dangerous for addicts of alcohol or drugs to just come off them instantly. You’d be dealing with another health crisis during a pandemic. Much safer and easier for governments to ensure they are essential services (which Canadian provincial governments are).

Actually my province is going to be providing our street dwellers a safe supply of drugs, as with the border closed the black market is drying up. Much safe and easier to provide them drugs then deal with the crime and death that would ensue without.

ifan

That still doesn't really make sense. They will have a higher prevalence of covid-19 but also a higher prevalence of other illnesses with similar symptoms. The rate of positive tests in NY shouldn't be over 3x the rest of the country. Unless they are using a higher threshold in the criteria to get a test.

I'm trying to get a handle on the numbers. Are they "pre counting" an assumed positive percentage of swabbed but not completed tests? The confirmed number doesn't make sense based on the test numbers.

I'm not sure if you got an answer to this question as I'm catching up on posts.

The Task Force is using this % positive info as an indicator of where Covid-19 is most prevalent (community spread.) So NY is seen as having the highest levels of community infection based on their high % positive tests. Most states are limiting their testing to hospitalized patients and front-line workers, so it makes sense that the % positive would be higher than in testing the regular population.

While I'm sure the overall info can be used in such a way, it isn't an ideal indicator since there are many variables. For instance, some patients get multiple tests (it is number of tests, not numbers of patients.) Another variable is which lab the sample was sent to. There are anecdotal reports that some commercial labs have higher false negative rates than others. Some states may be using more of one lab vs another. Now imagine you're in a state with fewer infections but one nurse is sick. You test that nurse and all the people who interacted with her but only get 2 positives and 30 negatives. All these items skew the % positive results.

DisneyCane

I'm not sure if you got an answer to this question as I'm catching up on posts.

The Task Force is using this % positive info as an indicator of where Covid-19 is most prevalent (community spread.) So NY is seen as having the highest levels of community infection based on their high % positive tests. Most states are limiting their testing to hospitalized patients and front-line workers, so it makes sense that the % positive would be higher than in testing the regular population.

While I'm sure the overall info can be used in such a way, it isn't an ideal indicator since there are many variables. For instance, some patients get multiple tests (it is number of tests, not numbers of patients.) Another variable is which lab the sample was sent to. There are anecdotal reports that some commercial labs have higher false negative rates than others. Some states may be using more of one lab vs another. Now imagine you're in a state with fewer infections but one nurse is sick. You test that nurse and all the people who interacted with her but only get 2 positives and 30 negatives. All these items skew the % positive results.
I saw Dr. Birx explain some of that today but thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Your thoughts make sense.

Patcheslee

I don’t know anything for sure, but typically with unions a company likes to run anything major like this by the union leaders to get their blessing. In this case the union has very little power (a strike isn’t really an option, at least right now), but out of respect for the process they probably want to still clear it through them. Why would they furlough the non-union workers and not the union ones? It’s most likely just a timing difference in announcing, but I totally understand the stress you would feel over it.
They may be working through recall rights/priority, PTO options, ect. This is very different than a normal furlough/layoff so the same things may need ironed out to get operational in a timely manner later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom