Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

Still wondering if anyone has heard from Brayden at Mickey Views yet. His last post was just as the parks were closing, and he wasn't his normal jovial self. He was respectful and clear that he would not want to make light of the situation, and that it might actually claim his job. So, I am wondering if it did, or if he just sees the current time as too dark for making videos now.

What is his job exactly? Sorry but after he likely posed as a fake Disney executive on here and decided to get a massive ego, constantly speaking with unearned authority, including taking unsolicited jabs at many of the trusted insiders here, it's clear he doesn't have the maturity necessary.

Having said that I hope he's doing ok.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not a lawyer so I need help with this ... does one ALSO have a constitutional right to emergency health care and immunity from prosecution and lawsuits if one gets sick or spreads a life threatening disease through reckless behavior? Asking for a friend.
View attachment 460479

Stupid, arrogant, pig headed, self centred, mean, stupid...
All of the above.

"Researchers at Mayo Clinic expect to release a test that would tell whether a person has had and recovered from COVID-19 on Monday."

"At Mayo, we hope to have it available as early as next week. We will be doing kind of a slow roll out because, similar to the situation with molecular tests, there's a limited supply of these tests. We're hoping that commercial manufacturers will ramp up here in the next few weeks so that we can make it available much more widely."

Literally whilst reading this, the news on TV was talking about the millions of antibody tests our government has ordered. It seems manufacturing is indeed ramping up.

The constitution:

"...nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

ARTICLE XIV. SECTION 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

These orders for "the public good" can be construed as essentially taking private property because I can no longer operate my business on said property. The business owner has certainly been deprived of the property and has not received due process.

And finally, and most clearly, allowing an "essential business" such as a grocery store to operate under social distancing guidelines but not allowing a movie theatre to operate under the same guidelines CLEARLY does not provide the movie theatre owner "equal protection of the laws" as applied to the grocery store owner. There can be no dispute of this final point. It is clear that "essential businesses" are treated differently by these orders.

A movie theatre can easily operate in a way to provide for 6 foot minimum spacing between parties while in the lobby, at the concession stand and in the auditorium. However, they are not allowed to do so while Publix is allowed to.

A restaurant can easily space the parties in the dining room for the same requirement but they aren't allowed to. I'd actually argue that customers dining in a "socially distanced" dining room are at less risk of becoming infected vs. having every customer come into contact with the same employee for takeout.

I understand the logic of Publix being open because people need to get food to survive but they don't need to see a movie. However, they don't need to go to Home Depot to survive either and Home Depot is considered essential.

Are the major stores that are open enforcing any rules? Our equivalent of Home Depot is order online only. You await an email, drive to your chosen store, queue with social distancing and then pick your order up from the entrance doors. The inside of the store is physically closed to the public.

Our equivalent of Publix - or similar - is restricting the amount of people inside at any one time depending on store size. They’ve built switchbacks in the parking lot where those wanting to enter queue single file, 6-8 ft apart. Once a store reaches enforced capacity it’s one out, one in. There is still a restriction of 3 of any one product.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This piisses me off so bad. I literally just walked away from my dad's funeral. We were permitted only 10 people there and for the safety of my mom none of us could even hug her to console her. All total we had 6 of us, a few family friends could have come, but they are mostly elderly and stayed home.

And here these jerks are showing off their stupidity. I truly pray that no one suffers for their arrogance.
I’m sorry mate.

Giss Neric

I watched one of the YouTube videos out there now of driving around a completely empty WDW. It was haunting and sad.

Some of the usual suspect bloggers were "on it," but at least one was completely quiet in the video, letting the silence and lone roads speak for themselves.

I did notice one stop reporting for now. Brayden from Mickey Views News had moved to Orlando last year, and since then he was posting videos at least once a week. But the one about the impending closure seems to have been the last so far. I wonder about him and some of the others who make their living off of Disney news. Not to mention the thousands of contractors and businesses who rely on WDW and its customers for their own livelihood. It has to be devastating.

Anyone heard from him or the others? Or have any personal stories of friends affected by the WDW shut down? I have them and so many others in my prayers. I know that it is the same for small business around the country, but I also know that Orlando is particularly dependent on tourism.
I would just like to correct you that it's vloggers not bloggers. Bloggers are those documenting in writing through websites. Vloggers are documenting through video like YouTubers. I had a few "vloggers" correct me for saying bloggers before.

This piisses me off so bad. I literally just walked away from my dad's funeral. We were permitted only 10 people there and for the safety of my mom none of us could even hug her to console her. All total we had 6 of us, a few family friends could have come, but they are mostly elderly and stayed home.

And here these jerks are showing off their stupidity. I truly pray that no one suffers for their arrogance.
I am so sorry for your loss and for you being unable to receive or give comfort to your mom during this time.

I would just like to correct you that it's vloggers not bloggers. Bloggers are those documenting in writing through websites. Vloggers are documenting through video like YouTubers. I had a few "vloggers" correct me for saying bloggers before.
I watch Brayden, too and wondered why he hasn’t posted in a while.

seascape

As a stockholder, Platinum Plus passholder and DVC owner, I am upset over the layoffs of our Cast Members. Especially DVC Cast Members. We are biilled annual maintenance fees which pay for these services. Disney never asked us if we want to have them reduced or to keep paying the people who actually work for us and are paid by us. This is not money Disney should be allowed to cut because it is not their money. I do not want a refund, I want the housekeeping employees, landscapers, engineering and others to keep their jobs. Disney is wrong here. It is just wrong this is happening.

Lilofan

I understand the logic of Publix being open because people need to get food to survive but they don't need to see a movie. However, they don't need to go to Home Depot to survive either and Home Depot is considered essential.
Home Depot not essential? If your washer, dryer, fridge stops working, or your roof leaks from the rain storms just to name a few, you'd be glad Home Depot is open to find a part or a handyman could go get supplies to patch your roof.

Lilofan

So the question about liquor being an essential item that could save lives has me wondering if people are generally calmer or more aggressive when allowed to consume modest amounts of liquor. I'd think the police would want the former particularly during these times. I just don't know how the average person behaves in general when drinking.

I do know my cat makes a mean drunk.
So having gun stores are open as essential business, sales are booming, so arm yourself so you can stop the bad guy dead in his tracks before he does harm to your family?

Last edited:

Lilofan

He’s a singer. I don’t think ALL entertainment would be cut from Disney. Guests love shows and characters and performances. But it’s expensive to run and not a direct money maker, so I could imagine it could be an area where cuts are made to save money. I like to think my husband’s group is safe, but realistically, I also know nothing is safe. Time will tell.
I wouldn't be 100% confident to be honest. With parks and resorts predicted to open up slowly later in the summer , the parks would have limited offerings ( aka dining, parts of resorts shuttered, limited park hours, not all venues open including entertainment, parades, fireworks ). I'm sure there are cast that work directly and behind the scenes so I say areas will be impacted including the difficult call by Disney on what gets cut / streamlined and how many staff are actually needed to work. It's strictly a business decision but it also is very personal. NOTHING is safe.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Home Depot not essential? If your washer, dryer, fridge stops working, or your roof leaks from the rain storms just to name a few, you'd be glad Home Depot is open to find a part or a handyman could go get supplies to patch your roof.
But how much of HD's sales are currently for "essential" items . I would imagine a large chunk of their sales are for home improvement now people have the time on their hands. This makes a mockery of the "stay at home" orders.
I do understand your argument but maybe places like this could be open to trade customers only , so they can get materials for essential repairs ?

Lilofan

I know many as well. Addiction runs in my family...I consider myself very fortunate that my biggest vices are cigarettes and caffeine....when I was young I was certainly headed down a path that could have turned out very differently.

Interesting that beer makes you feel sick...I’m the same way after a few sips, so I avoid it completely. I do enjoy some Riesling from time to time, but I’m a mixed drink gal usually.
Cigarettes were a killer for some my friends and family. COPD is a dreadful disease.

Lilofan

But how much of HD's sales are currently for "essential" items . I would imagine a large chunk of their sales are for home improvement now people have the time on their hands. This makes a mockery of the "stay at home" orders.
I do understand your argument but maybe places like this could be open to trade customers only , so they can get materials for essential repairs ?
I understand but if I can get a $10 part to fix my dryer, I would rather do that then pay an electrician to fix it and pay his labor charges.

Lilofan

The New England Patriots CEO Robert Craft had the football team's personal plane fly to China and back to MA to purchase 1.2 million N95 masks for a sale price of $2 million. He's looking out for his state of MA who he purchased the masks for.

TrojanUSC

As a stockholder, Platinum Plus passholder and DVC owner, I am upset over the layoffs of our Cast Members. Especially DVC Cast Members. We are biilled annual maintenance fees which pay for these services. Disney never asked us if we want to have them reduced or to keep paying the people who actually work for us and are paid by us. This is not money Disney should be allowed to cut because it is not their money. I do not want a refund, I want the housekeeping employees, landscapers, engineering and others to keep their jobs. Disney is wrong here. It is just wrong this is happening.

First of all, nobody is being laid off - they are being placed on furlough, which means they are still employees just not working or being paid at the moment. Second of all, they aren't furloughing everyone. A core team of cast members and contractors will remain, to keep the grounds maintained, rides in working order and to handle all maintenance & security needs.

Disney is not wrong here. As a stockholder, you should know the business was not built to sustain paying 80,000+ people when there is no revenue. What would you like them to do if this goes on for 6 months?

You should be happy that Disney is continuing to pay for the healthcare of their employees in this critical time. You should also be happy the federal CARE act is providing most of the CMs you mention above, when combined with state unemployment, a higher weekly wage than they'd be earning if they were working.

This is an unfortunate situation for everyone but frankly it is the best outcome given the circumstances.

zengoth

Are the major stores that are open enforcing any rules? Our equivalent of Home Depot is order online only. You await an email, drive to your chosen store, queue with social distancing and then pick your order up from the entrance doors. The inside of the store is physically closed to the public.

Our equivalent of Publix - or similar - is restricting the amount of people inside at any one time depending on store size. They’ve built switchbacks in the parking lot where those wanting to enter queue single file, 6-8 ft apart. Once a store reaches enforced capacity it’s one out, one in. There is still a restriction of 3 of any one product.

All brilliant ideas that could keep ANY retail business thriving. The downside is as the summer rolls in, these parking lots are going to be baking in the sun. I'll be dreaming of the wonderful Disney switchbacks with their fans and misters...

Lilofan

First of all, nobody is being laid off - they are being placed on furlough, which means they are still employees just not working or being paid at the moment. Second of all, they aren't furloughing everyone. A core team of cast members and contractors will remain, to keep the grounds maintained, rides in working order and to handle all maintenance & security needs.

Disney is not wrong here. As a stockholder, you should know the business was not built to sustain paying 80,000+ people when there is no revenue. What would you like them to do if this goes on for 6 months?

You should be happy that Disney is continuing to pay for the healthcare of their employees in this critical time. You should also be happy the federal CARE act is providing most of the CMs you mention above, when combined with state unemployment, a higher weekly wage than they'd be earning if they were working.

This is an unfortunate situation for everyone but frankly it is the best outcome given the circumstances.
There was a poster that commented her family member worked at Disney and Maintenance cast were all sent home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom