Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandogal22

The metal detectors are useless for items in bags. My response may be creepy but trust me. Luckily I'm not a psychopath or a terrorist, but if I was, I could easily get past Disney security with everything I needed. An actual psychopath or terrorist could do the same thing.

I have always felt that if they are going to have security checks there should be x-rays of bags. At least then there is a chance to find things and it would be a deterrent.

I agree. The randomness of the people they make go through the metal detectors ... the fact that you can get an extra-chatty security officer who is too busy putting on a show than looking in your bag... the fact that I've had several bag checks where they've not asked me to open up smaller bags inside my bag that I *could* have hidden things in if I was that type of person...

(though, typically, as an AP, I just put my CCs and DL in my lanyard pouch and use the "no bags line" for quickest entrance)

Doesn't Universal use the x-ray machines?

I always find their security to be more streamlined, organized, and seamless than Disney.

Lilofan

I agree. The randomness of the people they make go through the metal detectors ... the fact that you can get an extra-chatty security officer who is too busy putting on a show than looking in your bag... the fact that I've had several bag checks where they've not asked me to open up smaller bags inside my bag that I *could* have hidden things in if I was that type of person...

(though, typically, as an AP, I just put my CCs and DL in my lanyard pouch and use the "no bags line" for quickest entrance)

Doesn't Universal use the x-ray machines?

I always find their security to be more streamlined, organized, and seamless than Disney.
Universal should use X-Ray machines since its right nearby to Pine(Crime) Hills and can attract the bad element.

orlandogal22

I live in a different county. But our malls also closed on the 18th - because the kids were just congregating there - which sort of defeated the purpose of closing the schools. They also closed movie theaters, etc at the same time. Delayed in closing the beaches, but did close them earlier than the county below us, but later than the county above us.

What county are you in? (just asking, as a "neighbor!" :) )

I believe Altamonte Mall took the longest to close - they finally shuttered March 27th. I'm not sure why they didn't close at the same time as all the other Simon Properties I referenced in my previous comment. Now *that* mall *does* attract bands of roving teens (the other ones really do *not* on the regular), but those teens aren't in the demographic to frequent Disney as APs. ;)

Touchdown

Does anyone know how New York is confirming COVID-19 cases? I found this on their website:

"The State has tested 220,880 individuals, with 15,694 new people tested on March 31"

In Florida the tests are running a little over 10% positive. One of the presenters at the briefing the other day (surgeon general?) mentioned that nationwide they are seeing 90% negative which jibes with Florida. However, based on the NY tests, they'd have to be getting over 34% positive. Are they somehow doing amazingly accurate screening of who needs a test or are they confirming cases some other way?

Something doesn't make sense there. Any insight is appreciated.

According to the Washington Prediction Model New York is only 7 days away from its peak of hospital need which means it’s either right at or just before it’s peak of new cases being diagnosed (which assuming New York is managing to test some people prior to hospitalization should peak a few days prior to peak hospitalizations. This is the start of the worst 2 weeks in New York (hopefully) and it makes sense that they have a higher percentage as they have a higher pretest probability as COVID is far more prevalent in New York now.

Kevin_W

The metal detectors are useless for items in bags. My response may be creepy but trust me. Luckily I'm not a psychopath or a terrorist, but if I was, I could easily get past Disney security with everything I needed. An actual psychopath or terrorist could do the same thing.

I have always felt that if they are going to have security checks there should be x-rays of bags. At least then there is a chance to find things and it would be a deterrent.

We went to Disneyland Paris in 2016 and they put the bags through an x-ray machine. It was probably a faster process than the Florida parks, too.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does anyone know how New York is confirming COVID-19 cases? I found this on their website:

"The State has tested 220,880 individuals, with 15,694 new people tested on March 31"

In Florida the tests are running a little over 10% positive. One of the presenters at the briefing the other day (surgeon general?) mentioned that nationwide they are seeing 90% negative which jibes with Florida. However, based on the NY tests, they'd have to be getting over 34% positive. Are they somehow doing amazingly accurate screening of who needs a test or are they confirming cases some other way?

New York is a virus hot spot. They’ve been slammed hard.

Kevin_W

I brought this up a few pages ago about why Ohio's positive rate seemed low. From what I've read, it's mostly that NY (like all states) doesn't have enough test kits yet so only the most severe in NY are getting the test. (Although anecdotally that still seems to be true in Ohio?). Or, perhaps simply its just that NYC really does have a lot more cases.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We went to Disneyland Paris in 2016 and they put the bags through an x-ray machine. It was probably a faster process than the Florida parks, too.
This. Paris now requires you to X-ray luggage before you can get to reception to check in, and also when entering the security bubble - on site guests, parking arrivals, busses and trains passengers all have to X Ray bags and pass through an arch. Although this is wildly off topic.

orlandogal22

Universal has one main checkpoint and a few secondary checkpoints for their hotels to enter Citywalk that's also connected to both Parks they own. I believe everyone must go through a metal detector.

Universal has a nicer and compact property that's easier to secure than WDW, unfortunately it will get more difficult as they expand.

Yes, I've been through all of those checkpoints (I love the Universal resorts...and I used to be a Guest Services CM at the Yacht & Beach...LOL).

At the hotel checkpoints, they manually check bags (along with, of course, the detector).

But at the parking garage hub area, I was trying to clarify re: the X-ray machine.

I've watched bags go through the line and get scanned on a screen that a security team member watches. I'm not "in the know" for all the security lingo... and was just wondering if that is, indeed, considered a true x-ray machine. I'd love to - one day! - see Disney implement similar and do away with manual bag checks.

DisneyCane

According to the Washington Prediction Model New York is only 7 days away from its peak of hospital need which means it’s either right at or just before it’s peak of new cases being diagnosed (which assuming New York is managing to test some people prior to hospitalization should peak a few days prior to peak hospitalizations. This is the start of the worst 2 weeks in New York (hopefully) and it makes sense that they have a higher percentage as they have a higher pretest probability as COVID is far more prevalent in New York now.
That still doesn't really make sense. They will have a higher prevalence of covid-19 but also a higher prevalence of other illnesses with similar symptoms. The rate of positive tests in NY shouldn't be over 3x the rest of the country. Unless they are using a higher threshold in the criteria to get a test.

I'm trying to get a handle on the numbers. Are they "pre counting" an assumed positive percentage of swabbed but not completed tests? The confirmed number doesn't make sense based on the test numbers.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

I think they had so many sick people that might have Covid-19, they reserved tests for really sick and cases with the most common symptoms. I’m sure it created selection bias. There is, of course, some selection bias everywhere, but I think the magnitude of the issue in NY caused theirs to be higher.

celluloid

Universal has one main checkpoint and a few secondary checkpoints for their hotels to enter Citywalk that's also connected to both Parks they own. I believe everyone must go through a metal detector.

Universal has a nicer and compact property that's easier to secure than WDW, unfortunately it will get more difficult as they expand.

I think that poster was more speaking of the way they do it. Everyone goes through so no one feels singled out, you feel more.like your things are being checked rather than you or at least, you do not see your stuff being sifted through. It may be more tansactional at times, but you will never feel randomly selected or like someone is making forced conversation while putting a wooden stick through your personal belongings as others get to just walk on by.

DisneyCane

I brought this up a few pages ago about why Ohio's positive rate seemed low. From what I've read, it's mostly that NY (like all states) doesn't have enough test kits yet so only the most severe in NY are getting the test. (Although anecdotally that still seems to be true in Ohio?). Or, perhaps simply its just that NYC really does have a lot more cases.
I'm sure they have a lot more cases, I'm just curious how they are confirming COVID-19.

What is Ohio's rate? Florida is just over 10%. I know for a fact that the actual positive test rate is low even in suspected cases that are hospitalized. That's why New York doesn't make sense.

Obviously the NYC metro area is a hot spot. I'd just like to know how they are confirming the data.

DisneyCane

I'm stupid but won't the majority of the population get infected by COVID-19?

It's not possible to eradicate it as it's too contagious and the reason for the lockdown is to buy more time to research treatment methods and not instantly flood the ICU's, correct?​
That's sort of the theory. They are working on a blood test that can tell if you've already had it and didn't know it. It is possible that a large percentage of the population already has had it. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

DisneyCane

I think they had so many sick people that might have Covid-19, they reserved tests for really sick and cases with the most common symptoms. I’m sure it created selection bias. There is, of course, some selection bias everywhere, but I think the magnitude of the issue in NY caused theirs to be higher.
It's not making sense to me because I know for a fact at one hospital that even amongst patients sick enough to be hospitalized with symptoms common to covid-19 the percentage that have it vs. something else is low.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It's not making sense to me because I know for a fact at one hospital that even amongst patients sick enough to be hospitalized with symptoms common to covid-19 the percentage that have it vs. something else is low.
My guess is that the ratio of covid-19 cases at that hospital is actually lower.

Patcheslee

If it's like Indiana they are confirmed cases reported to the state health department.
These are the current CDC testing recommendations. Hospital here is limiting to priorities 1 & 2 due to availability. So out of the 10 confirmed cases in our county they have only done close contact tracing, those ppl have to self-monitor for symptoms. If the symptoms meet priority 1 or 2 then they will be tested. Until it's confirmed with testing the case doesn't count because of health department reporting requirements.
Screenshot_20200402-075150_Drive.jpg

hopemax

I saw in an article somewhere that the labs in NY are prioritizing tests

1. People already hospitalized
2. Hospital workers
3. First responders

then everyone else.

I think elsewhere it’s more first come first served. The hospital doctors and nurses are getting much better at diagnosing COVID based on symptoms and x-rays than your average GP recommending a test. So their batting average is simply higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom