Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I understand the context and the way it was written. However, conceptually it's the same thing. It's akin to the right to privacy used in Roe v. Wade (I'M USING THIS AS AN EXAMPLE. PLEASE DO NOT MENTION THE SUBJECT OF ROE V. WADE AS I HAVE NOT DONE SO ON PURPOSE. THIS ISN'T A POLITICAL POINT, IT IS A LEGAL ANALOGY).

Here is an excerpt from an article written by a former Federal Judge.

"The Contracts Clause of the Constitution prohibits the states from interfering with lawful contracts, such as leases and employment agreements.

And the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment prohibits the states from interfering with life, liberty or property without a trial at which the state must prove fault.

The Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment requires just compensation when the state meaningfully interferes with an owner’s chosen lawful use of his property."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/judge-andrew-napolitano-liberty-coronavirus

And, BTW, I found this article to back up my opinion to answer your post so I formed these opinions on my own first.

Well things are closed. They will remain closed. Let's sit back and wait for the lawsuits. Shall we. I think you'll be waiting for a very, very long time. Maybe we can both go to the Royal Caribbean lawsuit - you know - the one where they are going to sue the federal government for forcing them to shut operations. That'll be fun.

celluloid

Liquor stores being open prevents hospitals from seeing a spike in patients suffering from alcohol withdrawal. It's nothing to mess with and can literally kill a person.

Those are not the only stores selling liquor. Even with that reasoning you posted earlier of few stores. No one is fou g to go through a deadly withdraw drinking a taste they do not like. Even with that, if they are that addicted, than they are causing more harm and hospital beds being taken by drunk stupidity.

Personal accountability there.

DisneyCane

Well things are closed. They will remain closed. Let's sit back and wait for the lawsuits. Shall we. I think you'll be waiting for a very, very long time. Maybe we can both go to the Royal Caribbean lawsuit - you know - the one where they are going to sue the federal government for forcing them to shut operations. That'll be fun.

Depending upon how long they try to keep these measures in place, I don't know that we'll have to wait too long. I think people will accept these things for the rest of the month, maybe into part of may. If you start getting beyond 8-10 weeks, people will start to revolt. Hopefully it will just be with lawsuits.

note2001

Can't happen. Who's to determine what is and what isn't essential goods? Diapers = yes, underwear = no? What about if you break your reading glasses? Easter is coming, will they say candy is non-essential? (LOL, okay you moms, keep that opinion to yourselves. Some of us need our Cadbury Creme eggs.) How about the mom of two autistic boys who needs to keep playdough on hand? There is no way to determine what is needed now from something that can wait.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

In some states, the only places to get liquor are liquor stores. You can get alcohol (beer and wine) at grocery stores and convenience stores in those states.
Yep. And no grocery stores where we are. I tend to categorize any store that sells liquor as a liquor store, but there are two I can think of in town that would also qualify as convenience stores (not including the gas station I mentioned above).

celluloid

Can't happen. Who's to determine what is and what isn't essential goods? Diapers = yes, underwear = no? What about if you break your reading glasses? Easter is coming, will they say candy is non-essential? (LOL, okay you moms, keep that opinion to yourselves, some of us need our Cadbury Creme eggs). How about the mom of two autistic boys who needs to keep playdough on hand? There is no way to determine what is needed now from something that can wait.

Exactly this. It is a personal filter and asking a reminder for common sense, not something that is policed by martial law.

natatomic

I won’t be able to sleep. I have 2 kids...

Don’t make yourself sick with worry. My husband is hourly, and I have two kids as well. I’m not worried about tomorrow*. It makes zero sense for Disney to keep the people that make the most money (executives and salaried), who almost all work behind the scenes, and instead fire all the people who work the front lines or maintain the property. If they reopened, who would run the rides? Who would fix things? No, I’m 99% sure your husband is still gonna have a job come tomorrow morning. Furloughed, yes. But still employed.

Try to get a good night sleep.

*although my husband is in entertainment, so I am more concerned about his job surviving the ENTIRE closure. But tomorrow’s announcement for hourly as a whole? Not concerned even a little bit.

celluloid

I lived in Florida. I could not go to a grocery store and buy vodka. I had to go to a liquor store. Maybe your county or city is different?

I do not know on that but the argument of being essential to remain open to save addicts lives is bonkers. You can say people should still have the right, and I won't argue because I do not like having rights taken away and what is essential varies until it is just down to food and water; but the posts that say people will die of their withdraws unless they have the hard stuff. It is not the reason why liquor stores are remaining open as you could get enough of a fix to not have someone in a deadly withdraw spike with the other stuff.

TrojanUSC

I don't feel like spending the night in jail to prove it but it is absolutely not enforceable to tell me that I can't walk across the street to my neighbor's house and talk to him if neither of us is infected with SARS-CoV-2. That is a violation of my liberty and his private property rights. I can not be forcibly constrained to my property if I do not have the disease. If I do, then I can be ordered to be quarantined.

You do not know whether or not you are infected, that is the issue. We are only testing symptomatic people and 25% of people show no symptoms.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I do not know on that but the argument of being essential to remain open to save addicts lives is bonkers. You can say people should still have the right, and I won't argue because I do not like having rights taken away and what is essential varies until it is just down to food and water; but the posts that say people will die of their withdraws unless they have the hard stuff. It is not the reason why liquor stores are remaining open as you could get enough of a fix to not have someone in a deadly withdraw spike with the other stuff.

You can have your opinion. That doesn’t make it right. You don’t want hospitals that are stretched to the max dealing with those issues right now.

celluloid

You can have your opinion. That doesn’t make it right. You don’t want hospitals that are stretched to the max dealing with those issues right now.

It is based in fact of course no one wants someone to suffer in withdraws, and there are still options if liquor stores would close(and I do not think they should be forced to close), and I am sure we do not want new alcoholics either, but more hospitals, 911 and police resources are taken up by people who abuse it than those who are reducing their usage.

note2001

So the question about liquor being an essential item that could save lives has me wondering if people are generally calmer or more aggressive when allowed to consume modest amounts of liquor. I'd think the police would want the former particularly during these times. I just don't know how the average person behaves in general when drinking.

I do know my cat makes a mean drunk.

Jwink

Don’t make yourself sick with worry. My husband is hourly, and I have two kids as well. I’m not worried about tomorrow*. It makes zero sense for Disney to keep the people that make the most money (executives and salaried), who almost all work behind the scenes, and instead fire all the people who work the front lines or maintain the property. If they reopened, who would run the rides? Who would fix things? No, I’m 99% sure your husband is still gonna have a job come tomorrow morning. Furloughed, yes. But still employed.

Try to get a good night sleep.

*although my husband is in entertainment, so I am more concerned about his job surviving the ENTIRE closure. But tomorrow’s announcement for hourly as a whole? Not concerned even a little bit.
What type of entertainment? And you mean you’re afraid they’ll begin laying off entertainment down the road if it continues on and and on? My husband is in entertainment too

DisneyDoctor

"Researchers at Mayo Clinic expect to release a test that would tell whether a person has had and recovered from COVID-19 on Monday."

"At Mayo, we hope to have it available as early as next week. We will be doing kind of a slow roll out because, similar to the situation with molecular tests, there's a limited supply of these tests. We're hoping that commercial manufacturers will ramp up here in the next few weeks so that we can make it available much more widely."

This is sooo important. That way we can get healthcare workers back into the field safely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom