Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
"The captain of a nuclear aircraft carrier with more than 100 sailors infected with the coronavirus pleaded Monday with U.S. Navy officials for resources to allow isolation of his entire crew and avoid possible deaths in a situation he described as quickly deteriorating."

Why isnt this considered classified information? Telling the whole world we have a nuclear based warship parked in a given location that potentially could be vulnerable is not smart.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why isnt this considered classified information? Telling the whole world we have a nuclear based warship parked in a given location that potentially could be vulnerable is not smart.

Uhhh... because the general where abouts of these ships is already well known. Where they are deployed, their rotation, their stops, etc.

You can’t hide these things under a tarp.

Polynesia

Walmart said on Tuesday it would start taking the temperature of its employees before the start of their shift and ask them basic health screening questions as its steps up safety measures to counter the rapidly spreading coronavirus.

Walmart said it would send infrared thermometers to all locations over the next week or two and workers who record a temperature of 100 degrees or more will be sent home. The retailer will also supply gloves and face masks to workers who wish to use them. The first shipment of those thermometers and masks will be deployed to the company’s warehouses and as further supply becomes available, it will be sent to stores.

I’ve already seen Walmart employees wearing gloves and a mask at the grocery pick up area. This is definitely a good thing.

Lilofan

The former Subic Bay Naval Base in the Philippines surely missed the US warships coming to port. Especially the local girls and the bars that loved their business.

DisneyCane

Since it is docked I'm sure it is common knowledge by all other countries with any satellite surveillance capability at all.

I had an ex-intelligence officer as a professor in college. She was beyond her "gag order" period at the time and told us that in the 1980s they could count the number of people at a backyard BBQ if they wanted to via spy satellite. I'm sure even the worst spy satellites today can easily identify a nuclear submarine in Port.

Kevin_W

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has authorized the emergency use of Bodysphere Inc’s test that can detect the coronavirus in nearly two minutes, the privately held company said on Tuesday."

"The test is administered like a glucose test but is designed for use strictly by medical professionals."

There is not much detail in that article, but it's great to hear. Abbot is supposed to start shipping their test tomorrow. Hopefully between these two and others under development/deployment we can greatly increase screening.

I check this graph daily and am still encouraged that even with more testing we are seeing flat/decreasing numbers of new cases per day in much of the world.

1585670914296.png

DisneyDoctor

Today I saw someone where gloves in the grocery store, leave the grocery store with gloves still on, enter car and play with phone with gloves still on, drive off with gloves still on.

If any of you choose to wear gloves in public, please take them off before you enter your car as to not contaminate your personal belongings. And, I can’t believe this needs to be said, don’t use your phone with the same gloves you used in the store.

Same thing goes for entering a store. Wear a new pair of gloves if you’ve been using the same gloves to travel to different places. Sure, you’re protecting yourself, but you could also be spreading wherever you go.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m ok cancelling the big SSE redo but maybe they can do a little something to fix or add to the end at least. Light effects something.

epcot can’t look like a disaster zone so they have to do something where they’ve begun demo I would think
Planters and benches ain‘t covering that up ;).

Even projects on hold could ramp up again in a year or 2. I’d rather see them put the project on hold for a little while and leave the construction walls up then cut the budget dramatically where we are left with a shell of the former project.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes but how many cards were inserted into the slot? Hundreds or thousands of potentially tainted cards.

Indeed. It's almost impossible to not touch anything. If you're in a store you may have touched a door handle, a shopping cart, a counter, the very products you're buying. That's why I don't flinch at using a keypad. I know that my hands are already 'contaminated' and I need to not touch my face before I wash/sanitize them.

I have a germaphobe friend who won't touch the pole on a Disney bus but doesn't think at all about pushing the button for an elevator.

Another example of selective scapegoating of surfaces: A lot of people had previously not shaken hands to protect themselves from colds (or, if they have a cold, to not infect others) all the while not thinking about all the other surfaces they touch (or the aerosolization of their virus).

Related to WDW: When we come back to the parks we would likely only do so if the general situation is that CV is past us. Identifying just one or two surfaces or vectors of transmission is pointless if we're not looking at all vectors of transmission. It's just not the lap bar in a ride that's problematic and has to be wiped down after each ride, it's 100 feet of railing in the queue, and every QS counter, and every armrest and back of seating, etc..., that's problematic.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Washing your hand regularly and making a conscious effort to not touch your face is much easier and better than (trying) to use gloves properly.

Indeed. If a gloved hand touches something contaminated and then you touch your face... you got it.

Proper use of gloves is putting on a new pair for each new person or environment you encounter.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The same way they have for years. They track how many people are in the park at any moment and when that number nears capacity they stop admitting people into the park.

It might be a PR nightmare to do that now that people buy tickets earmarked for a specific date.

Although, WDW could let them in and block those with APs and anytime tickets.

Or Disney could stop selling anytime tickets and limit the sale of tickets earmarked for a specific date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom