Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaderTron

Agreed, they are going to try to control crowding by cancelling fireworks, cancelling parades, cancelling the indoor theaters, but in the Magic Kingdom is always MOBBED just walking down main street.

Unless they actually limit the number of people in the park, the place will be mobbed! How do they actually limit the number of people into the park? Sure you can close the parking lots, that will stop the folks who drive there. What about guests staying on property? Will folks have to get to the parks at 5AM in order to get in before a park is closed to guests? And what about the Mob at 5AM? A lot of folks jammed together! Exactly what they are trying to avoid.

This is going to be interesting.
Unfortunately I think they might do BG's for the actual park. Starting early in the morning the BG's open and you pick your park. Much like RotR, guest's quick fingers will determine their entry time. Perhaps they will have it set so you can get a BG only if you have an ADR for that day or are staying on property. Not certain if they can limit the range of those within a certain mile radius of the parks or not? If so, that could allow off-property guests to try for BG's. I have a feeling they would start with on-site guests first.

Using BG's would they set a time limit? 4 hours? Would they wait till a certain number of guests leave the park before calling the next BG's? While I hate all options, this seems at least doable.

No matter what, if you thought WDW had capacity issues before, get ready for a whole new level of stupid in that department.

EDIT: They may also decide to do BG's for the following day the evening prior. That way early BG's know they need to be at the park for rope drop.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney layoffs underway
Looks like according to this link, the Star Wars hotel is on hold as well as the EPCOT project. Rat, Tron and GoTG will be finished. I would assume many other smaller projects for the 50th are on hold or cancelled. Not the biggest issue at a time like this, but still sad to hear :( Not unexpected though.

Lilofan

Looks like according to this link, the Star Wars hotel is on hold as well as the EPCOT project. Rat, Tron and GoTG will be finished. I would assume many other smaller projects for the 50th are on hold or cancelled. Not the biggest issue at a time like this, but still sad to hear :( Not unexpected though.
I figured before furlough / lay off cast, it would start with the construction project folks.

Jon81uk

This was pretty much as reported here https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whats-still-on-and-whats-now-off.964041/

The Star Wars Hotel feels like an obvious cut at the moment, guests may not have that level of disposable income for a while.

DisneyCane

I ordered the KN95 off eBay about an hour ago. It's allegedly just as effective as the N95 according to the CDC, but it isn't as prevalent in the US because it is a Chinese alternative. I was willing to risk it. This is the one I bought-

With buying something on eBay I'd be more concerned if it is really a kn95 mask than the equivalency between an n95 and kn95.

Lilofan

Not surprising because this is the norm for construction tradesmen on projects like this. Having experience with this, layoffs happen constantly when the work is done or when you are no longer needed on the job.
Seems like layoff even if the job is Not finished. Disney looking at all expenses including payroll.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Are contractors actually cast members though? And it says this was done the day the parks closed...it also said these contractors are used to being laid off as projects come and go

They're not. They're brought on board through their construction company (or subcontractor) and are employees of that company. They'll move onto a new project (potentially) if there's any work for them.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Not many know that this statement is totally true. It's a personal choice that put some but not all in this situation regardless of income levels and with a job loss/devastating illness, it can be devastating. Even with no corona, I know of some families that go to WDW many times to enjoy the parks and resorts and can barely pay their rent or mortgage.

So true. Wife and I have been working hard to not be in that spot anymore and it feels good when you're not in that spot anymore.

Both my wife and I are working from home. I'm afraid my wife is going to report me to HR for harassment!

Same here.

DisneyJoe

The same way they have for years. They track how many people are in the park at any moment and when that number nears capacity they stop admitting people into the park.
So so many more logistics before you even get to the gates! Parking lots, resorts, resort buses, monorails, boats, tapstyles to enter, getting in line to approach the entrance, security lines... groups of people at all of those locations

Lilofan

Are contractors actually cast members though? And it says this was done the day the parks closed...it also said these contractors are used to being laid off as projects come and go
Contractors are being let go and projects are Not finished also. That's not common. BVCC is a part of Disney/ they get insurance , park passes.

Jwink

Contractors are being let go and projects are Not finished also. That's not common. BVCC is a part of Disney/ insurance , park passes.
Well no it’s not common but neither are pandemics. I think they’re trying to keep cast members paid until they absolutely cannot any longer

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has authorized the emergency use of Bodysphere Inc’s test that can detect the coronavirus in nearly two minutes, the privately held company said on Tuesday."

"The test is administered like a glucose test but is designed for use strictly by medical professionals."

DCBaker

Premium Member

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Three weeks for government relief checks to go out. If the IRS has your banking info they will direct deposit. If not or if you didn’t file a return there is a form to fill out.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Walmart said on Tuesday it would start taking the temperature of its employees before the start of their shift and ask them basic health screening questions as its steps up safety measures to counter the rapidly spreading coronavirus.

Walmart said it would send infrared thermometers to all locations over the next week or two and workers who record a temperature of 100 degrees or more will be sent home. The retailer will also supply gloves and face masks to workers who wish to use them. The first shipment of those thermometers and masks will be deployed to the company’s warehouses and as further supply becomes available, it will be sent to stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom