Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMetroid567

If you keep preparing for the “worst”, eventually you’re just going to make that outcome a reality.

If I keep preparing for the potential of millions of deaths, eventually I'm going to make millions of deaths a reality? Would you like to proudly tell a healthcare provider that?

Preparing for the worst and expecting the worst are two different things.

We have shortages because people are expecting the worst to happen instead of being more moderate and tempered. And those shortages are at the store level, not the distributor level. That's why things are replenishing every day. The problem is the first set of people who freaked out and bout 8,423 rolls of toilet paper have caused others to freak out and want to make sure they have enough for their own family.

We're thinking of different shortages. There are no real shortages in the supply chains at grocery stores; I'm talking about the almost nonexistant test kits, PPE, and ventilators for use. We already need more; New York is expected to run out of medical supplies this week. It is already proving that this virus is pushing the capability of healthcare systems worldwide. We won't be able to tell how horrible it gets past these constraints and the death toll itself, so why would it be optimal to find a healthy medium or pretend like little is happening?

thomas998

Are kids going back to school in the fall? If so, they're at risk of catching the virus. Doesn't have to be at WDW for it to happen.
If schools open in the fall they will be a risk. But not nearly as risky as an amusement park. A school is going to be exposure to the same kids day after day. The schools all have nurses and when a kid shows up sick you can bet they will be sent home and not allowed to return until it is safe... That will not be the case at Disney. Instead you'll have lots of people from god knows where, often feeling a little sick, but thinking, "Hey I paid thousands for this trip I'm not going to skip it because of a little cough". And people that go to Disney world will get sick... You can guarantee it. Without a vaccine amusement parks are risks the governments won't allow to operate.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is work being done using frequencies of UV light:

This would obviously be faster and a "dry" method, but it obviously cannot be implemented by the probable June 1 opening...

Yes, that's why I mentioned UV :) This was done in China to try to make buses safe... large scale UV drive-through (well.. they park them in there..) facilities. And yes, it's UV-C which is way harder to implement at scale vs the idea of blacklights or other longer wave UV lights. Fixtures tend to have very short lifespans, they are expensive, the inverse relationship with distance is a problem, etc. But hey, global pandemic is the best driver of innovation :)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I still stand by the fact that increased suicide rates are going to be a major thing if we continue to let fear takeover. I’m very close myself.

In the event you are not joking. Please take a deep breath. Relax. And know that there is help. As bad as this is. It will get better. I promise. There are many numbers you can call and talk through this. Please think this through a bit.

Polynesia

It feels like some people in this thread are living at the end of the pandemic, where a million people have died from this virus, twenty million were infected, millions are out of jobs, corporations have shuttered, and they're living in a post-apocalyptic world where the idea of a vacation is never going to happen for the rest of their lives and their grandchildren's lives as well.

It feels like some people in this thread are aghast at the idea that people are thinking about going back to work, as if the idea of people valuing their lives, their loved ones, and the people that rely on them to make a living for the roof over their heads, food in their bellies, and clothing on their backs (in addition to trips to WDW) is ridiculous because there are people dying right now. Except those people would all be dead if that person wasn't planning and prepared to go back to work.

It feels like some people in this thread are hellbent on EVERYONE staying home until a vaccine is found.

It feels like people are being maligned for being optimistic and looking forward to the day that things can start to feel 'normal' again.

It feels like people want doom and gloom to be here because that's the space they exist in right now and damn anyone who isn't living that same life with them.

It feels like some people think Disney will open on 4/20 and damn anyone who will stop them from believing that.

How about everyone move back towards the middle of the spectrum, accept the facts as they exist today (there's no cure, people are being infected every single day, vaccine is probably a year away if not more, things will eventually feel like 'normal' again though there's no idea when that will happen, schools and jobs are for the most part shut down, and most of us are indoors 24/7 right now and probably feeling a bit stir crazy), and stop judging others for the prism they view things from? Hope only exists if we all believe in it. It makes no sense to be at either end of the spectrum when reality is, things could be far worse than they are today and also significantly better then they could be today.

*hops off soapbox*
Thank you for your post.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How great would it be to pool all this money and GIVE IT TO THE FRONT LINE CASTMEMBERS AT THE PARKS who work like dogs everyday for little pay and who will be on the front lines exposed to the next spike when the parks reopen.....
Isn’t that what they are doing? Front line cast members are still being paid, at least through April 18. Execs are giving up part or all of their pay. The company is bleeding cash right now so they could have furloughed the CMs to save some money, instead they are holding back part of the pay for execs. Better than what some others did to their workers.

celluloid

Does your school consist of 50+ thousand people all coming from all corners of the world?

It does not need to. A moot point as other children and staff in school will travel as will their families. We also still do not know what travel restrictions will be in place by then.

Again, it is about making sure the virus has more known about it and we are prepared to treat it like other viruses.

VaderTron

Everyone will do what’s in their best interests.

This is why things are going to keep getting worse. While many claim to care about others, under that thin veil is the truth. They really only care about themselves.

I know some here, like myself, genuinely care about how our actions impact others and actually put OTHERS before OURSELVES acting in the best interests of the many rather than the few, or the one. (RIP Leonard Nimoy) But it is becoming increasingly clear that most truly only care about themselves and their immediate circle of family and friends. As this thing drags on I believe that more false fronts will be dropped with people's true colors shining through. (Thank you Phil Collins)

Polynesia

Does your school consist of 50+ thousand people all coming from all corners of the world?
I’d rather take my chances with the 50 K than 50 kids who are always touching others, sniffling, coughing, picking their nose and are very handsy putting their fingers in their mouth, chewing on their pencils, etc. Boundaries in the classroom and recess are pretty lax.

Clamman73

There is work being done using frequencies of UV light:

This would obviously be faster and a "dry" method, but it obviously cannot be implemented by the probable June 1 opening...
They should go back to stamping your hand so when you go back in the Park you can put your hands under the UV black light instead of touching the finger scanner later on in the day after thousands of people touched it.

Polynesia

That's not even logical when you consider the incubation period of COVID-19.

That kid is going to go to school with 20-30 kids in their class. They're going to interact with those people and the teacher. They're going to the playground and cafeteria where the virus can live for an hour or so on the various surfaces the kid touches. All of a sudden, you have the potential of 3-400 kids and adults coming in contact with the virus.

From there, those people are going home to their own lives, going to church, going to day cares, etc.

To think that you go to school and if you have a cough, they can send you home and no one else get sick? That is crazy.

Also, thank goodness you're not running the world because you've also condemned every person who works at an amusement/theme park to no longer being employed (anything below Disney + Universal would shut down for good) as well as every single person who works for a vendor that contracts with the amusement/theme parks. Throw on hotels in those cities as well. You've just condemned tens of millions of people to being jobless.
Couldn’t have said it better. Unfortunately people think parks are the only venue that has germs.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
This is why things are going to keep getting worse. While many claim to care about others, under that thin veil is the truth. They really only care about themselves.

I know some here, like myself, genuinely care about how our actions impact others and actually put OTHERS before OURSELVES acting in the best interests of the many rather than the few, or the one. (RIP Leonard Nimoy) But it is becoming increasingly clear that most truly only care about themselves and their immediate circle of family and friends. As this thing drags on I believe that more false fronts will be dropped with people's true colors shining through. (Thank you Phil Collins)

It's very possible to value other people and still put your family and friends above them. That's not an exclusive thing to people you might deem as being selfish or callous. It's basic instinct to take care of yours before you take care of everyone else. I promise you, I will take care of my family and friends well before I take care of everyone else. That's not to say I will take actions that purposefully damage others (that's why my family has been home for the past 2+ weeks and will be staying home until at least the end of April), but I will make a conscious choice if it comes time to ensure my family are taken care of.

thomas998

Yes, that's why I mentioned UV :) This was done in China to try to make buses safe... large scale UV drive-through (well.. they park them in there..) facilities. And yes, it's UV-C which is way harder to implement at scale vs the idea of blacklights or other longer wave UV lights. Fixtures tend to have very short lifespans, they are expensive, the inverse relationship with distance is a problem, etc. But hey, global pandemic is the best driver of innovation :)

Biggest problem with using UV to sterilize the rides is that the rides weren't designed for that so it would be difficult to create a setup that would give you 100% coverage of all the surface areas in the car. The other problem would be the time required to sterilize each car, you would really have to redesign the rides so that a car full of guests was diverted from the attraction, riders got off and then car was put into a UV environment long enough to kill everything before being put back in service... the cost to doing that would be prohibitive.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It does not need to. A moot point as other children and staff in school will travel as will their families. We also still do not know what travel restrictions will be in place by then.

The point being - they are not even remotely the same due to the diversity of the population and what immediate (not potential) entropy that brings into the mix.

The whole point of restricting travel and movement is to counter that... your school is a mixing bowl of your community.. but is still largely your local community. WDW is not.

This is classic comparing apples and oranges because they both include the same idea... lots of people.

thomas998

That's not even logical when you consider the incubation period of COVID-19.

That kid is going to go to school with 20-30 kids in their class. They're going to interact with those people and the teacher. They're going to the playground and cafeteria where the virus can live for an hour or so on the various surfaces the kid touches. All of a sudden, you have the potential of 3-400 kids and adults coming in contact with the virus.

From there, those people are going home to their own lives, going to church, going to day cares, etc.

To think that you go to school and if you have a cough, they can send you home and no one else get sick? That is crazy.

Also, thank goodness you're not running the world because you've also condemned every person who works at an amusement/theme park to no longer being employed (anything below Disney + Universal would shut down for good) as well as every single person who works for a vendor that contracts with the amusement/theme parks. Throw on hotels in those cities as well. You've just condemned tens of millions of people to being jobless.
Until there is a vaccine, yes. There should be no opening of theaters, amusement parks or any places that are based on large gatherings. You assume I think schools should be opened in the fall. I don't unless there is already a vaccine. I simply said that a school was a lower risk than an amusement park but it is still a risk that would result in an increase in the virus. Which is not warranted given the inability to treat anyone with the virus even exists. Remember even if you magically had enough ICU beds for everyone in the country and enough doctors and nurse to treat everyone you would still be seeing people die from it. It kills regardless of whether you get medical treatment or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom