Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
As has been said many times, there are to many variables between states to make a claim that one difference was the deciding factor on the course of the pandemic.
That is fine. As long as you can say that the outcome that Texas experienced compared to California was more or less the same....

This isn't the only example by the way. There are similar results all over that show mask mandates did not impact how states trended during Omicron...

Disney Analyst

The mask debate is so tired and annoying.

Is masks are mandated, stop being a baby, put it on, and take it off when it is no longer mandated. Masks are one of many important tools we WILL use with viruses.

If masks are not mandated, wear them if it makes you more comfortable, or don't wear them.

I chose to wear my mask the entire time the mandate was dropped here, and then a couple months later the mandate was back and everyone else wore theirs again.

It's literally not a hardship. It's a freaking mask.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
he mask debate is so tired and annoying.

Is masks are mandated, stop being a baby, put it on, and take it off when it is no longer mandated. Masks are one of many important tools we WILL use with viruses.
No...why should people? If there is no impact on the overall outcome of a wave, no...they should be optional then.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That is fine. As long as you can say that the outcome that Texas experienced compared to California was more or less the same....

This isn't the only example by the way. There are similar results all over that show mask mandates did not impact how states trended during Omicron...

Even if we agree the outcomes were the same, it's hard to determine if the outcomes would have been worse or not for California if it didn't do the mandates.

I think there is more evidence that mask mandates don't work, then evidence that masks don't work.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s interesting that some members want a mandated vaccine requirement but are 100% against a mask mandate.

In my personal opinion, being told to wear a mask is way less government overreach than forcing a vaccine

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think there is more evidence that mask mandates don't work, then evidence that masks don't work.
I cannot really argue with that to be honest. Especially when it comes to masks like N95s when dealing with omicron. It is part of the reasons why I think mandates should be dropped and go to optional. Continue to push up supplies of N95's as much as possible for those who want to wear one.

Disney Analyst

No...why should people? If there is no impact on the overall outcome of a wave, no...they should be optional then.

Because we don't pick and choose the laws, rules, or mandates we want to follow.

If you don't like the rule, vote out the people enacting them, go to court, use the means at your disposal, but I am sick of people deciding they are above the law.

I am especially sick of those taking it out on employees who have to enforce rules in private businesses against jerks who think they don't have to follow the rules they have decided aren't for them.

lazyboy97o

As has been said many times, there are to many variables between states to make a claim that one difference was the deciding factor on the course of the pandemic.
This is also part of the bizarre political flips that have occurred very recently in response to the pandemic. Before the pandemic it would have been California characterized as the place to forgo medical advice for alternative approaches and therapies. It was those now screaming about the horror of vaccine requirements who ridiculed California’s then extensive exemptions in the wake of the Disneyland measles outbreak.

mmascari

I replied to one of those now deleted posts and it was lost. I'm not going to recreate that entire post. However, if you look at the percent positivity for TX and CA for that timespan when CA looks worse there's some stark contrast. Both had horrible percent positivity so likely huge under counts. However, TX was much worse than CA. So, whatever "better" rate TX had is a larger under count. Enough that it likely wipes out the difference and TX could have been worse. There's no good way to know, but percent positivity values of 20 and 30 mean that most of that case data is just garbage.

There's just to many things impacting trying to compare at the state level, and much of the data so bad that trying to use two states to call out one thing is essentially impossible.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Because we don't pick and choose the laws, rules, or mandates we want to follow.

If you don't like the rule, vote out the people enacting them, go to court, use the means at your disposal, but I am sick of people deciding they are above the law.

I am especially sick of those taking it out on employees who have to enforce rules in private businesses against jerks who think they don't have to follow the rules they have decided aren't for them.
Well your examples are how we do get to pick and choose. Protesting is another way...

But just so you know, I wear my mask where it is required and give no one a hard time. Doctor, airport, WDW....for now...

Disney Analyst

Well your examples are how we do get to pick and choose. Protesting is another way...

But just so you know, I wear my mask where it is required and give no one a hard time. Doctor, airport, WDW....for now...

And I appreciate that. A lot of people aren't as mature as you.

We don't all have the agree on the best way out of a pandemic, or how to run our communities during, but my point is that we need to remain civil, and use the proper tools to fight what we don't agree with.

Nubs70

Me and my wife have worn masks consistently from the start and neither of us has gotten infected, thus I can conclude that mask provide 100% protection from COVID.
Conversely,

I haven't been wearing a mask consistently from the start, my wife in n RN, I have been working on a construction site with 1800 contractors, flown to WDW/Cancun 2x/Denver and neither of us have contracted Covid, thus I can conclude masks do not need to be worn consistently.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
And California had a bigger wave recently correct? So if you use that logic to say masks don’t work... I guess vaccines don’t either?

(To be clear, I believe that both masks and vaccines work!)
Vaccines are not that great with preventing one from getting omicron. So with that wave, I would expect for vaccines to have helped very little with case count. We saw cases explode in places with 90% vaccine rates. The key with the vaccine against omicron is that it did a good job with preventing severe COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom