Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

Because it is abnormal and annoying and uncomfortable.
People said that about the piece of personal protection that protects people from HIV. And that was true when it would kill everyone who got infected, and with way less debate about effectiveness. Which is why all the “if the early messaging about masks was better…” doesn’t ring true for me. It’s much more about how people view their personal risk and what you posted above. If an effective barrier against something that would kill you required a massive, years long public health campaign, there was nothing that could have been said to counteract, “I don’t want to and I don’t need to.”

DisneyCane

People said that about the piece of personal protection that protects people from HIV. And that was true when it would kill everyone who got infected, and with way less debate about effectiveness. Which is why all the “if the early messaging about masks was better…” doesn’t ring true for me. It’s much more about how people view their personal risk and what you posted above. If an effective barrier against something that would kill you required a massive, years long public health campaign, there was nothing that could have been said to counteract, “I don’t want to and I don’t need to.”
There was never a mandate for people to use that method of protection from HIV. Imagine the uproar if people could have been fined or arrested for not doing so. That was a disease that, for quite some time, was a death sentence if you got infected and the prevention method was 90 something percent effective.

It seems that in recent times people choose to not use that extremely effective prevention method and instead rely on treatments after the fact if they get infected or taking PREP drugs.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
How did you come to the conclusion that cases counts wouldn't have been even higher without masks?
At the very least, mask mandates have not changed the path of the pandemic or waves. For example, over the omicron wave both Texas and California took a similar path with cases, but California averaged more daily cases per million people. California implemented a mask mandate on December 15th while Texas did not. Yet, same wave path, with California coming out slightly worse. So maybe at a micro level, that one person who chose to wear N95 mask did not get omicron, but in the grand scheme of things...mask mandates...nada...same outcome

With optional masking, that one person who chose to wear the N95 can still do so.

Homer fan

The kind of mask you wear (along with how you wear it) can make a big difference. Unless the people you’re referring to were all wearing N95s or KN95s, the fact that they got Omicron doesn’t tell us much.
Yes, but the far majority don’t wear N95 masks. And unless you are wearing it 24/7 while out in public, there is still a chance to catch a strain like omicron

Willmark

N95s and KN95s are actually pretty effective at preventing transmission.
Note what I actually said. I understand your point. it is not mine, nor am I looking to engage in a protracted back and forth on the efficacy of masks.

My point is very simple: people got a variant in massive numbers. I’m not buying the latest of had the had the right masks they wouldn’t. If not your implication I’ve heard it out here and elsewhere. And is (in essence) the latest version of “you don’t need to wear masks” line bandied about in spring 2020 that was discussed earlier today. In other words it’s never going to be enough nor is there ever going to be an end. There will ALWAYS be some reason real or imagined that masks are required. There will ALWAYS be some reason why “it’s changed and do X”

I’m sure spring 2023 we’ll be told by the government about how N95 Masks aren’t effective and so on. /s

Unless one’s got a SCBA with positive pressure airflow it ain’t stopping it.

I’ve vaxxed and got my booster, don’t mind that. Masks? Time to end the shenanigans. If people want to continue I have zero issues with that. “Guidance” from the government, state, local and federal? What I want to tell them I can’t type here.

Last edited:

Ayla

Because literally everyone I know got Omicron (except me and my family)! The masks couldn’t stop it, that is clear.
I didn't know anyone that had omicron. DH and I haven't had covid at all. We mask and social distance when possible. We've been living our lives just fine, going on vacations (most requiring a plane trip(s)) and running errands (while masked). We are both vaxxed and boosted.

So why haven't we gotten covid?

LittleBuford

Yes, but the far majority don’t wear N95 masks. And unless you are wearing it 24/7 while out in public, there is still a chance to catch a strain like omicron
But this is a very different claim from the statement that masks don't work. I now always wear a KN95 while around other people, and an N95 in higher-risk situations. I feel (and am) well protected, which is not to say, of course, that I'm 100% safe from the risk of infection.

DisneyCane

I didn't know anyone that had omicron. DH and I haven't had covid at all. We mask and social distance when possible. We've been living our lives just fine, going on vacations (most requiring a plane trip(s)) and running errands (while masked). We are both vaxxed and boosted.

So why haven't we gotten covid?
I don't know but my wife and I only mask or social distance when forced to and we've been traveling and doing everything we used to do as much as possible and neither of us have gotten COVID.

Maybe those of us who haven't yet are just lucky or have a good immune system and it has nothing to do with any of that stuff.

LittleBuford

Note what I actually said. I understand your point. it is not mine, nor am I looking to engage in a protracted back and forth on the efficacy of masks.

My point is very simple: people got a variant in massive numbers. I’m not buying the latest of had the had the right masks they wouldn’t. If not your implication I’ve heard it out here and elsewhere. And is (in essence) the latest version of “you don’t need to wear masks” line bandied about in spring 2020 that was discussed earlier today. In other words it’s never going to be enough nor is there ever going to be an end. There will ALWAYS be some reason real or imagined that masks are required. There will ALWAYS be some reason why “it’s changed and do X”

I’m sure spring 2023 we’ll be told by the government about how N95 Masks aren’t effective and so on. /s

Unless one’s got a SCBA with positive pressure airflow it ain’t stopping it.

I’ve vaxxed and bossted, don’t mind that. Masks? Time to end the shenanigans. If people want to continue I have zero issues with that. “Guidance” from the government, state, local and federal? What I want to tell them I can’t type here.
I don't really understand your reply or how it relates to what I said. I was simply responding to your statement that masks "ain’t stopping jack crap". The right masks are.

Willmark

I don't really understand your reply or how it relates to what I said. I was simply responding to your statement that masks "ain’t stopping jack crap". The right masks are.
Simple.

Masks (regardless of kind) and still massive amount of infections.

Time to end it.

If people want to continue they are free to do so. Leave the rest of us to make our own decisions as to whether or not to mask up.

Life is about choices.

correcaminos

I don't know but my wife and I only mask or social distance when forced to and we've been traveling and doing everything we used to do as much as possible and neither of us have gotten COVID.

Maybe those of us who haven't yet are just lucky or have a good immune system and it has nothing to do with any of that stuff.
Could be... there is a possibility for some where you get exposed and your body fights it off with no issues. I can say as a parent I've dealt with that. What I don't know is our avoiding covid was it luck, immune system, now vaccines, or masks or some of each? Like my kid was vaccinated but not eligible for booster with a known close contact (kid in school sitting next to him sick). Was it his mask? Vaccine? Luck? No idea. I know it wasn't social distancing as the kids are figuratively on top of each other... would be nice to know. But if we did thus pandemic would be different.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
At the very least, mask mandates have not changed the path of the pandemic or waves. For example, over the omicron wave both Texas and California took a similar path with cases, but California averaged more daily cases per million people. California implemented a mask mandate on December 15th while Texas did not. Yet, same wave path, with California coming out slightly worse. So maybe at a micro level, that one person who chose to wear N95 mask did not get omicron, but in the grand scheme of things...mask mandates...nada...same outcome

With optional masking, that one person who chose to wear the N95 can still do so.

As has been said many times, there are to many variables between states to make a claim that one difference was the deciding factor on the course of the pandemic.

mmascari

Me and my wife have worn masks consistently from the start and neither of us has gotten infected, thus I can conclude that mask provide 100% protection from COVID.
Sample size 2. Some sample selection bias. Unknown other actions, but assume other risk reduction actions also taken.

Sounds legit, 100% effective. Call up the Lancet and publish it. Your Nobel prize awaits.

It's at least as accurate as the reverse declarations and everyone likes this outcome better.

Any chance you'll spring for a WDW party for everyone here with the cash? I mean, not "that guy", but everyone else. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom