Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mom

Premium Member
I just saw a story on Yahoo news about an upscale town in Long island. Zero cases on March 5. Someone hosted a fancy schmancy party and people from all over including one from South Africa, came.
Sunday they had 415 cases and 10 deaths in the town. This is why social distancing matters.

Westport CT, actually. But many guests lived/worked in NYC. This was before anyone was really talking about social distancing nationwide.

Disney Analyst

Westport CT, actually. But many guests lived/worked in NYC. This was before anyone was really talking about social distancing nationwide.

There was a HUGE dentistry conference here in Vancouver a few weeks back, also before social-distancing became a thing. Huge outbreak due to it. A 60 year old healthy dentist just died yesterday. He was in self-isolation at home and friends could not get hold of him, found dead alone. Very sad.

thomas998

What you are failing to see is that the company just took on $6Billion in debt just to support the cash flow needed to sustain basic operations (including payroll) and the total impact of this is just getting started on them. Whether folks here like to think of it as such or not, Disney is actually an extremely well run company and does not spend money frivolously just for the sake of it. When it comes to this sort of thing you need to stop looking at it from a totally parks point of view and look at the entirety of The Walt Disney Company. Nobody is going to movie theaters, nobody is making new TV or movie content to have in the theaters when people go back again. No sports are being played so ESPN has no live content (other than relentless cycles about Tom Brady). Nobody is going to any of their theme parks globally. Nobody is staying in any of their hotels globally. Nobody is on their cruise ships.

Capital projects will be reduced, slowed and/or cancelled for some time until they are fully and completely out from under all of this. We're only a couple of weeks into this- it's going to get worse for them before it gets better. They will survive and they will come out of this but people really need to get out of their Disney Parks bubble and look at the global impact on the company. They will take a significant financial hit and they'll need to pull back on lots and lots of spending to come out the other side of it safely and responsibly.
Only thing you left out was the reality of debt covenants that will require certain financial ratios to be maintains to avoid a devault on the debt they already have. If they were to start spending money to build things when their ratios were already going to be close to the limit it would almost certainly cause them to break some of those covenants. Corporate debt is a lot more ownerous than some people seem to realize. A coverage ratio can be very limiting on what you can do if you've gotten hit by a big punch to your revenue, and the longer the shut down goes on the closer they move to violating terms. When this is over it won't be imagineers running Disney it will be the finance guys in corporate treasury telling them what they can, can't and must do to avoid violating debt covenants.

thomas998

There was a HUGE dentistry conference here in Vancouver a few weeks back, also before social-distancing became a thing. Huge outbreak due to it. A 60 year old healthy dentist just died yesterday. He was in self-isolation at home and friends could not get hold of him, found dead alone. Very sad.
Biggest problem with this virus, if you are one of the unlucky ones that has your immune system go into hyperdrive you will have very little time to medical help. Not as fast as a heart attack in taking a healthy person down, but if you are older and have certain existing conditions you would easily have a heart attack from it in your sleep, or be so out of breath when you notice you're in trouble that you could be toast if you were on your own. Self isolated is good, but you need to make some plan for what to do if things go bad.

JohnD

POTUS wants country open by Easter. Could be first step towards WDW opening sometime in mid-April. I personally think they will end up delaying again, but that’s the talk right now.

While I like that thought, there is a balance that would have to made between this and Governors' Executive Orders around the country. Florida's disaster declaration (and the closing of inside dining), for example, doesn't expire until May 8.

JohnD

Desantis press conference - surgeon general will be issuing a health alert for FL for all people over the age of 65 to "stay at home" for the next 14 days.

Florida will also advise no social gatherings of more than 10 people, even in private residences.

And then this -

Was planning on seeing my folks in Jax this weekend long before all this blew up, we all decided better for me to stay put. It's more about them than me anyway.

hopemax

For those interested in tracking COVID-19 across the world, this website has really good information and graphs: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Looks like Italy might be seeing the curve start to flatten out.

There were 2 days of drops, but I saw some caution about calling it a trend. Today they were back up to 743 deaths.

Looking at Spain, based on the last 24 hours they pass China either tomorrow or the next day for deaths.

skiir97

There were 2 days of drops, but I saw some caution about calling it a trend. Today they were back up to 743 deaths.

Sorry should have been more specific.

I was referring to the total number of cases which appear to be somewhat slowing down. But like you mentioned, still a little too early to be certain.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While I like that thought, there is a balance that would have to made between this and Governors' Executive Orders around the country. Florida's disaster declaration (and the closing of inside dining), for example, doesn't expire until May 8.
Oh, I agree. It‘s not really in any one person’s hands anymore. Even if every state dropped all restrictions and allowed all businesses to open its really naive to think that will somehow save the economy and everyone would return to spending as usual. Most of the hardest hit businesses would not be much better off. In some cases they are better off closed. The trickle of revenue coming in may not be enough to cover the costs of employees and overhead like utilities.

JohnD

thomas998

Yep... and the reality is the Fed's decisions can still be trumped by a states decision to continue a lockdown, which is really what Trump making this change is going to do. Push the decisions on when to go business as usual back to the states... So what the governor decides will be a big part of it... then of course you will have the decisions by Disney tempered by the possibility of lawsuits by employees that might get infected when they go back to work. I expect that even after the fed and state say you can open up that it will be a matter of the big amusement players in Orlando waiting to see if the other player opens up first to see what happens.

JohnD

Yep... and the reality is the Fed's decisions can still be trumped by a states decision to continue a lockdown, which is really what Trump making this change is going to do. Push the decisions on when to go business as usual back to the states... So what the governor decides will be a big part of it... then of course you will have the decisions by Disney tempered by the possibility of lawsuits by employees that might get infected when they go back to work. I expect that even after the fed and state say you can open up that it will be a matter of the big amusement players in Orlando waiting to see if the other player opens up first to see what happens.

True. That's federalism for you.

21stamps

Just spoke with a family member who is in senior management at GE aviation. They are laying off 10% of their workforce. Not furloughed, firing.

They were told that none of their jobs are safe- from senior management down.
I’m sure they’ll all be fine though, since their income is over $100k per year. 🙄

This is a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom