Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

In my corner of the US, there’s very little evidence of the COVID nonchalance that is such a regular feature of this thread. My home city of London, however, is a different matter entirely. Since my return a few weeks ago, I’ve made only a handful of necessary trips to public places (supermarkets, the post office), and I’ve been disappointed every time. Many people simply don’t care. Masks are on chins or not being worn at all, in defiance of the law. It’s as if Omicron isn’t happening.

Meanwhile, in the real world:

Jrb1979

Yes. That's why they are having issues. You can't say they are unvaccinated so the blame must be lax masking because every COVID case must be the result of somebody not "doing the right thing."

It's time to accept and come to terms with the fact that it is a highly transmissible respiratory virus, even moreso with Omicron. The is nothing that will drastically slow the spread during an outbreak short of not having humans in close contact with each other at all.

Get vaccinated and boosted so that you minimize your risk of a serious outcome from COVID and get on with your life. Either that or stay home in quarantine and make sure your entire household does the same because that's the only way that your risk of infection will be near zero (this may not even be true in an apartment, condo or townhouse that shares walls).
Tell that to the Ontario government. Starting Sunday all businesses have to go 50% capacity. All arenas and stadiums can no longer sell food and drink. Groups are limited to 10 indoors and 25 outdoors.

Heppenheimer

Also early treatment is tremendously important in prevention of severe illness and I don't think that's preached enough.
We have discussed the importance of the monoclonal antibody cocktail here quite a bit, but for some reason, this doesn't seem to be nearly as controversial, despite also being relatively new, and far having less data on outcomes and safety than the vaccines at this point.

The monoclonal antibody cocktail, though, is no substitute for widespread vaccination. Prevention is always better than treatment, right? Plus, vaccination is cheap, effective and can be easily administered on a huge scale. The monoclonal antibody infusion, by contrast, is very expensive, and requires time and skilled nursing to administer, two things that aren't exactly in abundant supply right now, thanks to all the vaccine refuseniks ending up in hospitals.

lazyboy97o

We have discussed the importance of the monoclonal antibody cocktail here quite a bit, but for some reason, this doesn't seem to be nearly as controversial, despite also being relatively new, and far having less data on outcomes and safety than the vaccines at this point.

The monoclonal antibody cocktail, though, is no substitute for widespread vaccination. Prevention is always better than treatment, right? Plus, vaccination is cheap, effective and can be easily administered on a huge scale. The monoclonal antibody infusion, by contrast, is very expensive, and requires time and skilled nursing to administer, two things that aren't exactly in abundant supply right now, thanks to all the vaccine refuseniks ending up in hospitals.
I’m guessing some untested, self administered “treatments” are included that approach to “prevention”.

Touchdown

There is also early evidence it will not be effective against omicron.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
UF has put out a new Covid projection model for Florida including Omicron https://epi.ufl.edu/covid-19-resour...lorida-covid-19-omicron-wave-projections.html Similar to the delta one that turned out to be quite accurate until Omicron hit. Difference here is case peak is higher than any other wave and is expected in February, although deaths are projected lower than any other wave. The only caveat is the peak may wind up weeks sooner than this indicates based on recent South African data.

Vegas Disney Fan

Or you could take the middle ground, get vaccinated and boosted, wear a mask, try to stay out of crowded environments, stay away from others if you are sick, etc, so we don't end up with a huge number of people getting sick in a short amount of time which can cause lots of problems for everyone.

Solid advice from a health care point of view but the highlighted has disastrous consequences from an economic point of view. The vaccinations have provided a way to move on and live our lives again in a way that benefits both our health care system and the economy, we just need to figure out a way to get the holdouts on board before either collapses.

We can’t avoid businesses forever or there’ll be nothing to go back to when (if) Covid finally goes away.

DisneyCane

Tell that to the Ontario government. Starting Sunday all businesses have to go 50% capacity. All arenas and stadiums can no longer sell food and drink. Groups are limited to 10 indoors and 25 outdoors.
We shall see what that does. Wasn't there already a mask mandate and vaccine passports?

I think the most effective measure will be stopping the sale if alcohol after 10pm because it is well established that COVID spreads like crazy starting at 10:01 pm.

DisneyCane

At the risk of being called an anti-vaxxer (which I'm not), I thought a Miami Herald article would be a good thing to respond to in order to point out that Miami-Dade County, which has the highest vaccination rate in FL (91% eligible and 85% of the population with at least one shot) had the highest case rate in the last week (400+ per 100k) by a substantial margin. As pointed out earlier in the thread a lot of people mask up in Miami-Dade as well. The next door neighbor in Broward has the 2nd highest vaccination rate (80% eligible), has a lot of maskers and had the 2nd highest case rate (262 per 100k by memory).

The high vaccination rate will likely keep a lot of people out of the hospital or out of the ground but does not appear to be drastically slowing the spread of Omicron.

Touchdown

At the risk of being called an anti-vaxxer (which I'm not), I thought a Miami Herald article would be a good thing to respond to in order to point out that Miami-Dade County, which has the highest vaccination rate in FL (91% eligible and 85% of the population with at least one shot) had the highest case rate in the last week (400+ per 100k) by a substantial margin. As pointed out earlier in the thread a lot of people mask up in Miami-Dade as well. The next door neighbor in Broward has the 2nd highest vaccination rate (80% eligible), has a lot of maskers and had the 2nd highest case rate (262 per 100k by memory).

The high vaccination rate will likely keep a lot of people out of the hospital or out of the ground but does not appear to be drastically slowing the spread of Omicron.
You can’t really say that until a city that is not highly vaccinated gets hit with omicron. This is a highly, highly, infectious virus. You can’t compare it to past waves.

mkt

Premium Member

I won't doubt that they are high, I don't believe they're as high as reported for these two counties, owing to the large amount of foreign nationals, mostly from Latin America and the Caribbean, who are flying into MIA and FLL to get vaccinated and used their hotel's address.

DisneyCane

I won't doubt that they are high, I don't believe they're as high as reported for these two counties, owing to the large amount of foreign nationals, mostly from Latin America and the Caribbean, who are flying into MIA and FLL to get vaccinated and used their hotel's address.
There is probably some level of that. I don't know if it is enough to change the percentage drastically as those counties have been very high even when there were a lot of travel bans in place.

mkt

Premium Member
There is probably some level of that. I don't know if it is enough to change the percentage drastically as those counties have been very high even when there were a lot of travel bans in place.
There's no official reporting, but based from my anecdotal experience having been to countless pharmacies in the Miami area during my wife's pregnancy, and the sheer volume of antimaskers/antivaxxers in the western parts of Miami-Dade County, I'd say it's sizable.

DisneyCane

There's no official reporting, but based from my anecdotal experience having been to countless pharmacies in the Miami area during my wife's pregnancy, and the sheer volume of antimaskers/antivaxxers in the western parts of Miami-Dade County, I'd say it's sizable.
I don't know if they can really figure it out. In order not to discourage vaccination, a person just had to give an address in FL. Even the evil people in FL didn't want to discourage undocumented residents from getting a potentially life saving vaccine.

mkt

Premium Member
I don't know if they can really figure it out. In order not to discourage vaccination, a person just had to give an address in FL. Even the evil people in FL didn't want to discourage undocumented residents from getting a potentially life saving vaccine.
These aren't even residents - they're tourists. I can overhear the conversations in Spanish and French asking what address they should used, talking about their flights home, etc.

DisneyCane

These aren't even residents - they're tourists. I can overhear the conversations in Spanish and French asking what address they should used, talking about their flights home, etc.
The reason they were able to do that is because the powers that be didn't want to discourage vaccination by requiring ID or utility bills after the initial phase when there was very limited supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom