Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmoredRodent

Isn't it very likely to be quickly appealed to the supreme court? Isn't there also a possibility of a supreme court justice issuing a stay pending the decision?
Certainly, there's a possibility, this is a big case. But probably not a high likelihood. There's a statute in place that establishes the specific procedure to be followed in exactly this sort of situation. If you were a Justice, what would you need to see to over-ride that specific procedure? Pro tip: first and foremost, a handy rule for the irregular moves you are asking about, for a matter outside of the usual procedures, is that you need six votes, instead of the four you need to get the Court to review a case (grant cert), and the five to win. Given the recent splits in decisions, do you see six votes? (This kind of vote counting, by the way, is the FIRST question any SCotUS practitioner asks, because the Court won't waste its time if it can't come to a decision; after all, the Supremes are the only branch of the federal government that, year in, year out, finishes its work on time.)

So, a "gut feeling" that the panel is wrong, even a strongly-held belief, would be, in practitioner's lingo, "mere error," which almost never works. The Supreme Court is very used to letting things develop enough to get a substantial record upon which to judge the various balances involved. A decision this summer was in a case I worked on for seven years; the brief I sent in Thursday evening was the third one on that topic in five years. As I've noted before, by the time a case like this gets to the Court level, it's never easy, and certainly never as easy as media pundits make out. There are always many, many sides to a question like this, and the Court doesn't want to do that kind of balancing without knowing what it and others will put on the scales. Too many things in motion right now to make a snap judgment (pun intended).

Even more important, this is not a 6-3 Court, despite what various media claim. This is, as commentators right and left point out (though with differing titles and explanations of motives). Leaving aside that half of all cases are decided unanimously, and most of the others are not decided by easily-identified voting blocs, there are three liberal Justices who vote as a bloc, three conservative Justices who often vote together, and then there are Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Kavanaugh and Barrett, who pretty much go their own way. And any referral to the Circuit Justice for the Sixth Circuit goes to ... Justice Kavanaugh. Who tested positive for Covid on Oct. 1 even though he was fully vaxxed. In the workplace. So, is unlikely to think that the newest surge is something to ignore or act precipitously on.

DisneyCane

Certainly, there's a possibility, this is a big case. But probably not a high likelihood. There's a statute in place that establishes the specific procedure to be followed in exactly this sort of situation. If you were a Justice, what would you need to see to over-ride that specific procedure? Pro tip: first and foremost, a handy rule for the irregular moves you are asking about, for a matter outside of the usual procedures, is that you need six votes, instead of the four you need to get the Court to review a case (grant cert), and the five to win. Given the recent splits in decisions, do you see six votes? (This kind of vote counting, by the way, is the FIRST question any SCotUS practitioner asks, because the Court won't waste its time if it can't come to a decision; after all, the Supremes are the only branch of the federal government that, year in, year out, finishes its work on time.)

So, a "gut feeling" that the panel is wrong, even a strongly-held belief, would be, in practitioner's lingo, "mere error," which almost never works. The Supreme Court is very used to letting things develop enough to get a substantial record upon which to judge the various balances involved. A decision this summer was in a case I worked on for seven years; the brief I sent in Thursday evening was the third one on that topic in five years. As I've noted before, by the time a case like this gets to the Court level, it's never easy, and certainly never as easy as media pundits make out. There are always many, many sides to a question like this, and the Court doesn't want to do that kind of balancing without knowing what it and others will put on the scales. Too many things in motion right now to make a snap judgment (pun intended).

Even more important, this is not a 6-3 Court, despite what various media claim. This is, as commentators right and left point out (though with differing titles and explanations of motives). Leaving aside that half of all cases are decided unanimously, and most of the others are not decided by easily-identified voting blocs, there are three liberal Justices who vote as a bloc, three conservative Justices who often vote together, and then there are Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Kavanaugh and Barrett, who pretty much go their own way. And any referral to the Circuit Justice for the Sixth Circuit goes to ... Justice Kavanaugh. Who tested positive for Covid on Oct. 1 even though he was fully vaxxed. In the workplace. So, is unlikely to think that the newest surge is something to ignore or act precipitously on.
Thanks for the insight!

correcaminos

Disney closing in the next week? After the Delta wave I'd say slim to none. Sorry but real shut downs here will cause riots as a whole.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I hope Spring 2022 comes things will be better as the pandemic will be ending soon.

Nubs70

Yes, prevention is key.

A.national plan is so imperative, the President will address the nation on ....... Tuesday.

correcaminos

Harvard just went to remote classes for January. The last 12 hours have felt an awful lot like March 11 and 12, 2020.
Where do you live? I'm not getting that vibe at all even with cases rising. Harvard going remote didn't even make my news source.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
A.national plan is so imperative, the President will address the nation on ....... Tuesday.
What the president will address the nation on Tuesday? Mask mandate national or COVID-19 vaccine mandate by Spring 2022?
My guess there will be COVID-19 vaccine mandate on Tuesday for the world by Spring 2022.

LittleBuford

Disney closing in the next week? After the Delta wave I'd say slim to none. Sorry but real shut downs here will cause riots as a whole.
From my vantage point here in the UK, I think @jlhwdw is right. It really does feel like a replay of March 2020, and it won’t be long before the US starts seeing the staggering rise in infections that Europe is currently experiencing. I really wouldn’t be all that surprised if the Disney parks close again.

Figgy1

What the president will address the nation on Tuesday? Mask mandate national or COVID-19 vaccine mandate by Spring 2022?
My guess there will be COVID-19 vaccine mandate on Tuesday for the world by Spring 2022.
Just a guess but just a general statement, specifics and data from health officials, a tightening of regulations on federal property and a request for everybody to get vaccinated/boosted and wear masks in public

Figgy1

From my vantage point here in the UK, I think @jlhwdw is right. It really does feel like a replay of March 2020, and it won’t be long before the US starts seeing the staggering rise in infections that Europe is currently experiencing. I really wouldn’t be all that surprised if the Disney parks close again.
I highly doubt domestic parks will close again. Foreign parks are a different matter

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Just a guess but just a general statement, specifics and data from health officials, a tightening of regulations on federal property and a request for everybody to get vaccinated/boosted and wear masks in public
Is NJ will not going back to mask mandate because the state was fully vaccinated now? Is the movie theaters in NJ will not bring back mask mandate for vaccinated people except unvaccinated people will get mask up for movie theaters because I'm going to see Spider Man 3 on AMC Theaters on Friday on Christmas Eve.

Figgy1

Is NJ will not going back to mask mandate because the state was fully vaccinated now? Is the movie theaters in NJ will not bring back mask mandate for vaccinated people except unvaccinated people will get mask up for movie theaters because I'm going to see Spider Man 3 on AMC Theaters on Friday on Christmas Eve.
NJ is not fully vaccinated and a return to a statewide mask mandate for all public indoor spaces would not surprise me

Touchdown

I don’t see the general public going along with a shutdown again especially with Christmas. Also, it appears the administration isn’t planning for one either. For better or for worse the current plan assumes:

1. Vaccinated/boosted individuals should avoid severe disease
2. The population will not follow any mitigations.

With those restrictions, they are going to just sit back and watch the world burn. I hope everyone is ready for a wave of deaths and suffering worse then before. It’s going to be terrible. If your unvaccinated your life is at risk (not just death but permanent disability.). I just hope it’s quicker, it should be with that infectability.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I don’t see the general public going along with a shutdown again especially with Christmas. Also, it appears the administration isn’t planning for one either. For better or for worse the current plan assumes:

1. Vaccinated/boosted individuals should avoid severe disease
2. The population will not follow any mitigations.

With those restrictions, they are going to just sit back and watch the world burn. I hope everyone is ready for a wave of deaths and suffering worse then before. It’s going to be terrible. If your unvaccinated your life is at risk (not just death but permanent disability.). I just hope it’s quicker, it should be with that infectability.
Instead going back to mask mandate for US, the president should national vaccine mandate by Spring 2022 so there won't be a BIG Winter spike for variants.

LittleBuford

I highly doubt domestic parks will close again. Foreign parks are a different matter
Things are moving at an unbelievably fast pace on this side of the pond. In March 2020, I was in the US and somehow failed to grasp the gravity of what was coming until it hit us. I feel I have a better sense of where this is headed from my current vantage point.

This is me just thinking out loud at past 3 am my time. I may well be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom