Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianLo

We'll speak about Vermont again in a few weeks when it gets to around 90% fully vaccinated. I'm sure it isn't linear but there should be a noticeable effect at least as a geographic area gets close to the tipping point. VT is at 84% of 18+ fully vaccinated (46.1% of those with a booster dose) so something should be noticeable with respect to reduced spread.

Population Adjusted case rates in Canada have been significantly lower than the US the last few months. Despite the Northern states doing poorly, the numbers drop off at the border. I think that is largely in part because of much higher vaccination penetration and us inching towards said tipping point.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Florida is not allowing employers to fully require the vaccine, after Desantis signed legislation preventing employers from mandating the Covid shot. It is likely other states will also follow in this action.

It is unknown how the federal mandate works in conjunction with this.

What a mess…
Indeed. But... the cruise industry is ignoring the law and got a court stay from its enforcement.

It's yet to be determined if the cruise lines are a special case, or if the state ban is legal, or the state ban is illegal for all businesses.

Vegas Disney Fan

Hearing from CBC it’s expected to be announced tomorrow, they heard avoid non-essential travel will be enacted again. Le sigh.

So stupid, require proof of vaccination and a negative test, problem solved.

One step forward, two steps back.

My GFs daughter and son in law are supposed to drive down from Calgary (for Christmas) next week, she’s going to be devastated if they can’t come.

Wendy Pleakley

Hearing from CBC it’s expected to be announced tomorrow, they heard avoid non-essential travel will be enacted again. Le sigh.

Is trying to stop Omicron just like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube? It's spreading rapidly so will border restrictions really make a difference? Travelers by plane already need to be tested.

I'm all for being cautious but this raises the ongoing question of when do we accept that COVID isn't going away?

It does seem to the case that people who are vaccinated will continue to be protected against serious symptoms, and I'm really beyond caring about the people who aren't. I know that may sound heartless and I know COVID rates impact society beyond those who are unvaccinated, but I'm really over those people.

These are some comments from Reddit, so not to be taken as confirmed, but if Omicron is really spreading this quickly will restrictions really do anything?

Omicron in BC: Nov 30: 1 case, Dec 7: 5 cases, Dec 10: 10 cases, Dec 14: 44 cases.

R value of 4. Delta had an R value of around 1 in the same environment.

Delta took about 6 weeks to hit 10% of cases while competing against meeker variants. Omicron did that in 2 weeks while competing against Delta.

Disney Analyst

Is trying to stop Omicron just like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube? It's spreading rapidly so will border restrictions really make a difference? Travelers by plane already need to be tested.

I'm all for being cautious but this raises the ongoing question of when do we accept that COVID isn't going away?

It does seem to the case that people who are vaccinated will continue to be protected against serious symptoms, and I'm really beyond caring about the people who aren't. I know that may sound heartless and I know COVID rates impact society beyond those who are unvaccinated, but I'm really over those people.

These are some comments from Reddit, so not to be taken as confirmed, but if Omicron is really spreading this quickly will restrictions really do anything?

Omicron in BC: Nov 30: 1 case, Dec 7: 5 cases, Dec 10: 10 cases, Dec 14: 44 cases.

Delta took about 6 weeks to hit 10% of cases while competing against meeker variants. Omicron did that in 2 weeks while competing against Delta.

Yeah it definitely feels like… we are going back to March 2020 or something. And I mean, I want us to all be safe, and have common sense restrictions in place.

But since we are all going to start getting boosters in a few weeks, and most the vulnerable already have them, it seems a bit much to cut off travel again.

hopemax

It’s not going away, but the issue remains how many immunity naive people remain. We started in November 2019 with 100% naive and have been working our way through. This summer estimates were that 30% of the US population remained. Delta knocked us down to about 15%. But with more immunity escape then that bumps us back up somewhat. How much depends on the percentage of severity of breakthrough cases in older, vulnerable. But even those won’t bring us back to what we were facing before. Although people being less careful can lead to vulnerable people being hospitalized at higher rates. The ceiling for max hospitalizations has dropped. But as long as as it’s still above capacity we have a situation that needs to be hands-on managed. And as pointed out earlier in the thread, Canada has less surge capacity than the US.

Diamond Dot

I simply don't get why people don't want to wear masks or follow a mask mandate. Don't give me the nonsense about 'freedom', which is predominantly an American thing. I wonder how different this situation would be if this was happening before social media reared it's ugly head, because this is the main source of the misinformation going around, although the internet as a whole seems to be a breeding ground for the nonsense as well. There was an anti vaxxer 'protest' in my town a weeek or so ago and they had big displays of stuff clearly printed off the internet and it was such utter nonsense I felt sorry for them because they made themselves look so foolish. Apparently the vaccine is simply a ploy to inject micro chips into us so the government can keep tracks on us, masks are another form of repression and, yes, the old chestnut, Covid doesn't actually exist, it is another government plot to control us and the fatalities are all made up. Today, I read of one of my favourite comedians, Cornish gem Jethro died of Covid-19, I'm deeply saddened that idiots truly believe the conspiracy theories while families grieve for their loved ones lost to Covid.

Diamond Dot

I have a trip to the US booked for March, but, I'm expecting the borders to be closed again, so formulating a Plan B looking at 2023 instead, just in case.

matt9112

Living in a state where there's enough room to socially distance without realizing it?

Or misrepresenting actual numbers by those in power, like what's now being alleged in Florida.

Im glad i was riding montu when sone states had people scared to leave there homes.

I am so thankful i was able to keep working theough it
Oh for gods sake. Forty degrees is not "really cold".

Its subjective.

TikibirdLand

Exactly. I don't get why people still have not realized an uncontrolled Pandemic impacts them in unseen ways.

yeah, it's not enough that 3/4 of a million Americans have lost their lives. Think of all the boxes piling up on warehouse docks.

Oh, the Humanity!

JoeCamel

I simply don't get why people don't want to wear masks or follow a mask mandate. Don't give me the nonsense about 'freedom', which is predominantly an American thing. I wonder how different this situation would be if this was happening before social media reared it's ugly head, because this is the main source of the misinformation going around, although the internet as a whole seems to be a breeding ground for the nonsense as well. There was an anti vaxxer 'protest' in my town a weeek or so ago and they had big displays of stuff clearly printed off the internet and it was such utter nonsense I felt sorry for them because they made themselves look so foolish. Apparently the vaccine is simply a ploy to inject micro chips into us so the government can keep tracks on us, masks are another form of repression and, yes, the old chestnut, Covid doesn't actually exist, it is another government plot to control us and the fatalities are all made up. Today, I read of one of my favourite comedians, Cornish gem Jethro died of Covid-19, I'm deeply saddened that idiots truly believe the conspiracy theories while families grieve for their loved ones lost to Covid.
Throughout the pandemic there has been a coordinated and constant effort to spread mis information about the situation, mitigations and treatments and what the virus is. Keeping the masses in conflict and confusion and delaying any concerted response. There are many reasons for people to do this from ego to a more malicious intent but all of it has prolonged what could have been a severe but short worldwide contagion. I guess it just wasn't deadly enough at first to cause consensus among the population that we needed to do everything we could at any cost to stop it but we failed as a people and did half measures while shutting down most of our trade which proved to be the wrong approach.

Lilofan

Throughout the pandemic there has been a coordinated and constant effort to spread mis information about the situation, mitigations and treatments and what the virus is. Keeping the masses in conflict and confusion and delaying any concerted response. There are many reasons for people to do this from ego to a more malicious intent but all of it has prolonged what could have been a severe but short worldwide contagion. I guess it just wasn't deadly enough at first to cause consensus among the population that we needed to do everything we could at any cost to stop it but we failed as a people and did half measures while shutting down most of our trade which proved to be the wrong approach.
It would have been worse if liquor stores were closed to the public. Selling alcohol was deemed as an essential service or else some would start to lose their minds if these stores were shut down.

TikibirdLand

It would have been worse if liquor stores were closed to the public. Selling alcohol was deemed as an essential service or else some would start to lose their minds if these stores were shut down.
Hey, if I give enough alcohol, I can get them vaccinated while their drunk and can't make the decision for themselves. Why hasn't this become an initiative?!!!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
It’s not going away, but the issue remains how many immunity naive people remain. We started in November 2019 with 100% naive and have been working our way through. This summer estimates were that 30% of the US population remained. Delta knocked us down to about 15%. But with more immunity escape then that bumps us back up somewhat. How much depends on the percentage of severity of breakthrough cases in older, vulnerable. But even those won’t bring us back to what we were facing before. Although people being less careful can lead to vulnerable people being hospitalized at higher rates. The ceiling for max hospitalizations has dropped. But as long as as it’s still above capacity we have a situation that needs to be hands-on managed. And as pointed out earlier in the thread, Canada has less surge capacity than the US.
is the pandemic will be longer because new variants?

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah it definitely feels like… we are going back to March 2020 or something. And I mean, I want us to all be safe, and have common sense restrictions in place.

But since we are all going to start getting boosters in a few weeks, and most the vulnerable already have them, it seems a bit much to cut off travel again.
Lockdown will be off the tables folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom