Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHappy

Fwiw, my company with offices in the UK went back to the office last week. It was kinda volunteer-ish. 5 people showed. One had Covid. Party 🎈over. Office closed again.
Thankfully, we in the US have 1/26 as our hybrid return. I think and hope…..and pray….it will be delayed until April 1. That’s what a smart person would do. So…..?

Flugell

One rule for the plebs:

Another for the powers that be:

Disgusting. No wonder the public are so reluctant to comply with the rules.

As I have repeatedly said EVERYONE I know is 100% compliant from 18 -80 year olds. All double vaccinated and boostered where applicable. Home testing every 2-3 days. Masked in shops, transport and where they feel necessary. This is not in London, where I do believe compliance is probably less, but in the N.W. Of England. In my experience the vast majority respect the regulations, they may not like them but understand the need for them and observe them. So I have seen no reluctance and that is the experience of friends and family who I have asked to give me their impression of compliance when out and about.
Let’s concentrate on the positive attitude rather than give excuses to the people who don’t feel that they need to follow the rules.

LittleBuford

As I have repeatedly said EVERYONE I know is 100% compliant from 18 -80 year olds. All double vaccinated and boostered where applicable. Home testing every 2-3 days. Masked in shops, transport and where they feel necessary. This is not in London, where I do believe compliance is probably less, but in the N.W. Of England. In my experience the vast majority respect the regulations, they may not like them but understand the need for them and observe them. So I have seen no reluctance and that is the experience of friends and family who I have asked to give me their impression of compliance when out and about.
Let’s concentrate on the positive attitude rather than give excuses to the people who don’t feel that they need to follow the rules.
I’m not giving anyone any excuses—everyone should be complying with the rules—merely recognising that the government is undermining its own guidance in many people’s eyes, paving the way for others to act just as recklessly. Acknowledging a situation is not the same as excusing or approving of it.

You should count yourself lucky that you’re in such a compliant part of the country. I’m finally back in London after nearly two years, and it’s even worse than I expected. I stepped into an Asda to buy something and had to walk right out when I saw the throngs of unmasked people, staff included. I’m thoroughly ashamed of what I’m witnessing here in my home country, and even more so of our shambolic, hypocritical, and mendacious government.

Last edited:

Flugell

I’m not giving anyone any excuses—everyone should be complying with the rules—merely recognising that the government is undermining its own guidance in many people’s eyes, paving the way for others to act just as recklessly. Acknowledging a situation is not the same as excusing or approving of it.

You should count yourself lucky that you’re in such a compliant part of the country. I’m finally back in London after nearly two years, and it’s even worse than I expected. I stepped into an Asda to buy something and had to walk right out when I saw the throngs of unmasked people, staff included. I’m thoroughly ashamed of what I’m witnessing here in my home country, and even more so of our shambolic, hypocritical, and mendacious government.
I’m delighted that you’ve finally made it back to the U.K. and hope that you find your Dad in good spirits and recovering well.
I fully share your dismay at the lack of masks in London.
As for U.K. politics, we are obviously at opposite ends of the spectrum but that doesn’t stop me wishing you a very happy reunion with your family and as good a time in London as possible. Take care!

LittleBuford

I’m delighted that you’ve finally made it back to the U.K. and hope that you find your Dad in good spirits and recovering well.
I fully share your dismay at the lack of masks in London.
As for U.K. politics, we are obviously at opposite ends of the spectrum but that doesn’t stop me wishing you a very happy reunion with your family and as good a time in London as possible. Take care!
Thank you for your good wishes, which I fully reciprocate. My Dad is doing very well!

As for my views on the government, please believe me when I say it has nothing to do with party politics (after all, Labour is voting with the government on Plan B) and everything to do with the lies and hypocrisy of the PM and his circle. The evidence for the Downing Street “gatherings” is incontrovertible and should appall everyone, regardless of political affiliation.

I hope you and your family enjoy a wonderful Christmas!

James J

In the Parks
No

Pretty much the same for me in Gloucestershire. Mask compliance is a better than it was, but there are still plenty not wearing them including the shop workers you've mentioned, also at an Asda! A lot of staff with masks around their necks or wearing it but with their nose out.

LittleBuford

Pretty much the same for me in Gloucestershire. Mask compliance is a better than it was, but there are still plenty not wearing them including the shop workers you've mentioned, also at an Asda! A lot of staff with masks around their necks or wearing it but with their nose out.
I actually rang Asda customer service to complain, and they told me that staff in all their stores were being given clearer instructions to wear masks in response to customer concerns. I’m surprised the store managers aren’t already on top of the issue.

LittleBuford

Last edited:

LittleBuford

They are up here in Scotland, until seated. I believe Wales is the same.
Sorry for getting the Scottish rules wrong; I did look them up, but the source I found wasn’t reliable. I just checked the Welsh government’s official website, and it states, “Face coverings are not required in hospitality businesses such as cafés, restaurants and pubs. The reason why these types of premises are now exempt is because their main purpose is eating and drinking. It is not practical for customers to keep removing their face coverings to eat or drink.”

nickys

Premium Member
Sorry for getting the Scottish rules wrong; I did look them up, but the source I found wasn’t reliable. I just checked the Welsh government’s official website, and it states, “Face coverings are not required in hospitality businesses such as cafés, restaurants and pubs. The reason why these types of premises are now exempt is because their main purpose is eating and drinking. It is not practical for customers to keep removing their face coverings to eat or drink.”

So from the page you linked to, this is what it says:

Face coverings must be worn in all indoor public places, and public transport, including taxis.

Despite it not being a legal requirement in the following settings, it is strongly advised that both employees and customers wear a face covering indoors. This advice applies unless they are exempt or actively eating, drinking or dancing:

• in hospitality settings such as pubs or nightclubs
  • at a wedding, civil partnership or alternative wedding ceremony or reception
Some wedding or hospitality venues might ask you to wear a face covering. They can do this because they have looked at how to manage the risks for their business.

Mixed use venues: Where food or drink is consumed in part of a premises, like a department store cafe, or hotel restaurant, you must wear face coverings on the premises except in the area set aside for eating and drinking.

You are also legally required to wear a face covering in the auditorium of a theatre, cinema or concert hall and the viewing areas of an indoor arena or stadium when not actively eating or drinking.

You’re correct though, it isn’t legally required in Wales but it is strongly advised.

In Northern Ireland and Scotland it is legally mandated except when seated. In Scotland at least you can remove them when actively dancing at a night club.

LittleBuford

So from the page you linked to, this is what it says:

Face coverings must be worn in all indoor public places, and public transport, including taxis.

Despite it not being a legal requirement in the following settings, it is strongly advised that both employees and customers wear a face covering indoors. This advice applies unless they are exempt or actively eating, drinking or dancing:

• in hospitality settings such as pubs or nightclubs
  • at a wedding, civil partnership or alternative wedding ceremony or reception
Some wedding or hospitality venues might ask you to wear a face covering. They can do this because they have looked at how to manage the risks for their business.

Mixed use venues: Where food or drink is consumed in part of a premises, like a department store cafe, or hotel restaurant, you must wear face coverings on the premises except in the area set aside for eating and drinking.

You are also legally required to wear a face covering in the auditorium of a theatre, cinema or concert hall and the viewing areas of an indoor arena or stadium when not actively eating or drinking.

You’re correct though, it isn’t legally required in Wales but it is strongly advised.

In Northern Ireland and Scotland it is legally mandated except when seated. In Scotland at least you can remove them when actively dancing at a night club.
I suppose my original point was that maskless people in pubs (and other eating and drinking venues) aren’t just a London thing. I’ve never really understood how requiring masks when not actively eating and drinking makes much difference given that most of the people filling such venues are indeed actively eating and drinking. (The “actively dancing” exception seems even sillier.) I doubt a Scottish pub looks very different from an English one at the moment, but perhaps I’m wrong.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I suppose my original point was that maskless people in pubs (and other eating and drinking venues) aren’t just a London thing. I’ve never really understood how forbidding them when not actively eating and drinking makes much difference given that most of the people filling such venues are indeed actively eating and drinking. (The “actively dancing” exception seems even sillier.) I doubt a Scottish pub looks very different from an English one at the moment, but perhaps I’m wrong.
The actively dancing is for nightclubs, so that if you’re on the dance floor you can remove your mask.

I suspect in pubs you are expected to wear one until you get served and can then remove them. Haven’t been into a pub except where I can be outside and be served at the table.

hopemax

I suppose my original point was that maskless people in pubs (and other eating and drinking venues) aren’t just a London thing. I’ve never really understood how forbidding them when not actively eating and drinking makes much difference given that most of the people filling such venues are indeed actively eating and drinking. (The “actively dancing” exception seems even sillier.) I doubt a Scottish pub looks very different from an English one at the moment, but perhaps I’m wrong.
We have a mask order in effect in our county for being indoors.

On one hand these things do seem silly, but last week Friday we went to eat a local restaurant. It was much more packed than we had seen it before, so we left them on while waiting to order. It took forever for our server to come, and when she did she was the only employee that made no attempt for her mask to cover her nose or mouth. She was essentially wearing it as a necklace. She was also actively coughing, sneezing, sniffling and rubbing her nose with her arm. It was our worst restaurant experience since pandemic. Technically, after taking our order we never even saw her again, and had to flag down another server to bring our drinks and check. Annoying as that was, we were kind of happy she didn't spend anymore time at our table given she was obviously sick. And a manager was talking with her about something else, so he didn't seem to care about her condition either. Our masks may not have done much, but we did count our days after eating there checking for symptoms of anything.

LittleBuford

The actively dancing is for nightclubs, so that if you’re on the dance floor you can remove your mask.
I know that—you brought it up, and I responded to it parenthetically. It still seems silly to me. What’s the point in requiring masks at all in clubs when you can take them off exactly where spread is most likely to happen, namely on a crowded dance floor?

I suspect in pubs you are expected to wear one until you get served and can then remove them. Haven’t been into a pub except where I can be outside and be served at the table.
But pubs are crowded places, with close-set tables and seats at the bar, not to mention people standing around with their drinks. The exception makes a bit more sense in restaurants, where people really do remain at their tables.

ETA:

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I wouldn't be surprised to see a bump in the infection rate from Disneyworld attendees.
20211212_124244.jpg

LittleBuford

We have a mask order in effect in our county for being indoors.

On one hand these things do seem silly, but last week Friday we went to eat a local restaurant. It was much more packed than we had seen it before, so we left them on while waiting to order. It took forever for our server to come, and when she did she was the only employee that made no attempt for her mask to cover her nose or mouth. She was essentially wearing it as a necklace. She was also actively coughing, sneezing, sniffling and rubbing her nose with her arm. It was our worst restaurant experience since pandemic. Technically, after taking our order we never even saw her again, and had to flag down another server to bring our drinks and check. Annoying as that was, we were kind of happy she didn't spend anymore time at our table given she was obviously sick. And a manager was talking with her about something else, so he didn't seem to care about her condition either. Our masks may not have done much, but we did count our days after eating there checking for symptoms of anything.
Fair enough. I can see how in that situation, a mask may offer its wearer some psychological comfort and (depending on the type of mask) some protection from the virus. I’d be curious to see if any studies have been done on the effectiveness of partial mask-wearing in such settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom