Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I mean, it's kind of funny. But everyone should take this as an indication of just how bad things are. Not because Disney merchandise is critical. But because if anyone should be able to move goods from China, it's Disney. It doesn't bode well for the things we really need.
Everybody is using the same relatively very inexpensive infrastructure of cargo ships for international goods. Whether it's Disney for Stitch dolls made in Hong Kong or your local hardware store restocking on hammers. It would be prohibitively expensive to ship by air or to run one's own cargo ship for supplies.

mmascari

Whether it's Disney for Stitch dolls made in Hong Kong or your local hardware store restocking on hammers. It would be prohibitively expensive to ship by air or to run one's own cargo ship for supplies.
Sure for a Stitch doll. If you vacuum packed them to remove all the air, you might get enough density to make air profitable, big might.

Now, for something with a high profit margin to weight and volume ratio, the air delivery math changes.

A laptop, an iPhone, or a Disney Cupcake Party special wrapper. You've got the dollar to weight-volume for air to work. 💲 ✈️

hopemax

At the risk of starting something... and since lab leak articles get posted, I am posting a Science article detailing some of the investigative work being done on natural origin side. This one is about an examination of the known cases from December 2019, the ones prior to the emergency notice on December 30th.

The reason for posting is that this investigation revealed that one of the earliest stated "facts" about how things unfolded in China was wrong. Chinese officials and the WHO investigation stated that the earliest known case was a December 8th case that was unconnected to the Huanan Market. People have used this as evidence downplaying the significance of the market.

It turns out that the man with confirmed SARS-COV-2 did visit a Chinese hospital on December 8th... for a dental procedure. The removal of child teeth that had not fallen out. The man's interview actually said that he came down with fever on December 16th, and was hospitalized on December 22nd. He believed he was exposed during his dental procedure. Slotting him, in a more proper place in the timeline leaves the earliest confirmed infection as a female seafood vendor at Huanan Market on December 11.

Also of note, is that China had theoretically instituted a reporting system post-SARS that was supposed to detect the emergence of unknown pneumonias. A system that was not actually used until January 3rd. People wonder why China is being so secretive, nobody on the ground, doctors, clinics, hospitals, followed the procedure, a huge dishonor for the country. Huanan Market was disinfected on January 1st, animals destroyed without a single live animal onsite being tested (likely because live animals weren't even supposed to be there). And people wonder why we haven't found anything animal related. China messed up big time, that is clear, so the idea that natural origin takes China off the hook, don't worry, that's definitely not the case.

Anyway, do with it what you will.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Gov Whitmer of MI making Proclamation tomorrow that Covid is out of control.
Looks like they have at their highest peak for cases yet.
A5678114-FF72-4383-9D03-2C252AA15241.jpeg

hopemax

Also, a little anecdotal report, since I feel what we're doing out West is different from the rest of you all, although here in CO we are a mess. We went to Cheyenne today. Visited 3 antique stores, a used bookstore and Menards. There were no signs about masks anywhere. The first antique store, everyone was masked. The bookstore and other antique stores, no masks except us, but everyone was friendly and didn't seem bothered by our masks. In Menards about 2/3rds of shoppers and employees were masked. I was quite frankly shocked (in a good way).

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Food and Drug Administration on Friday is expected to authorize Moderna’s Covid-19 booster shot for all adults — a move that would come in tandem with the clearance of Pfizer-BioNtech’s booster for widespread use, two people with knowledge of the matter told POLITICO.

The decision comes just days after Moderna officially asked the FDA to greenlight its booster for Americans 18 and older, and reflects the administration’s growing unease over the recent rise in Covid-19 cases across the nation."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
"The Food and Drug Administration on Friday is expected to authorize Moderna’s Covid-19 booster shot for all adults — a move that would come in tandem with the clearance of Pfizer-BioNtech’s booster for widespread use, two people with knowledge of the matter told POLITICO.

The decision comes just days after Moderna officially asked the FDA to greenlight its booster for Americans 18 and older, and reflects the administration’s growing unease over the recent rise in Covid-19 cases across the nation."

Spread and hospitalizations are still being driven by delta and the unvaccinated. So…

DCBaker

Premium Member
Adventures by Disney has updated vaccine requirements -

"For departures beginning on or after January 12, 2022, all Guests must provide proof of being fully vaccinated before joining any trip. For departures beginning on or after January 12, 2022, proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test result will no longer be accepted as an alternative."

JoeCamel

Just to be clear, I really have no issue with a third shot for adults. I imagine I will get it eventually? Soon? But with millions unvaccinated and delta hitting the north…
All we can hope for is many will quietly come to the conclusion the only way to have it get to a manageable point is to get a shot when it sinks in how many unvaxed are dying or in hospitals.

JoeCamel

Not if my county is any indication. Still hovering right at 50% population fully vaxxed. And we recently hit our highest point ever.
Yep and no masking to speak of around here. Seems like they are ignoring what is going on but I hear so many snippets of conversations about who died lately. Can't understand the disconnect. I am in one of the worst areas for increasing spread (up 50%+ in the last two weeks) so heading into the cold/holiday season may be tough on all of us.

hopemax

Yep and no masking to speak of around here. Seems like they are ignoring what is going on but I hear so many snippets of conversations about who died lately. Can't understand the disconnect. I am in one of the worst areas for increasing spread (up 50%+ in the last two weeks) so heading into the cold/holiday season may be tough on all of us.
Emotionally, people have a hard time coming to grips that deaths that were preventable were indeed preventable. It’s far easier, and an act of self-preservation, to chock it up to “God’s will.” “It was their time.” The alternative is soul crushing.

JoeCamel

Emotionally, people have a hard time coming to grips that deaths that were preventable were indeed preventable. It’s far easier, and an act of self-preservation, to chock it up to “God’s will.” “It was their time.” The alternative is soul crushing.
That and this area has a long history of seeing the g'mnt as something to distrust and fear due to prohibition and land shenanigans. Plenty of military investment in roads and rail though so that's nice. Need some ginseng? I can hook you up....

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I think a lot of people still haven’t been directly touched by it, I’ve had a couple dozen friends/coworkers test positive with it over the last year and a half but (thankfully) still don’t know a single person who’s ended up in the hospital or worse.

Even among those who’ve been sick the results vary, one of my friends who got it said it’s the worst he’s ever felt in his entire life, despite not needing hospitalization, and he (and his girlfriend) got vaccinated the day he was eligible after recovering, another who had it said the flu was worse and she now uses that as her justification not to be vaccinated.

If seems like a simple choice but peoples brains work very differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom