Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I mean, it's kind of funny. But everyone should take this as an indication of just how bad things are. Not because Disney merchandise is critical. But because if anyone should be able to move goods from China, it's Disney. It doesn't bode well for the things we really need.
I hear South America is lovely.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
8AC55B26-4B73-453E-99F5-A58F412009DC.jpeg

mmascari

I mean, it's kind of funny. But everyone should take this as an indication of just how bad things are. Not because Disney merchandise is critical. But because if anyone should be able to move goods from China, it's Disney. It doesn't bode well for the things we really need.
It's not really related that directly. We have no idea how Disney was managing their supply chain and quantities.

While it could be there's containers full of Disney merchandise waiting to unload sitting just off the coast. It could just as easily be that there's nothing for Disney in the pipeline at all, that they delayed purchases and slowed down the entire supply chain during the pandemic. Then, ran into issues ramping it back up all the way at the manufacturing end now. Especially if those manufacturers switched to other clients during a lull in Disney orders. It's not like we've ever seen Disney slow something down during a downturn (only every time).

Disney is actually big enough that they could bypass the entire port bottleneck and fly in cargo directly. It would cost more, but if anyone has the profit margin to absorb the difference, it's going to be Disney.

Just like the chip shortage for can manufacturers has nothing to do with the port backup. There's not automotive chips sitting off shore not getting to the factories. They delayed orders when sales were down, then went to ramp up later only to find out that electronics makers used up all the capacity. Now the auto companies are at the back of the line to even have the chips made.

Lack of product in a Disney store and the ability to buy TP at the grocery store aren't that related.

Heppenheimer

Disney is actually big enough that they could bypass the entire port bottleneck and fly in cargo directly. It would cost more, but if anyone has the profit margin to absorb the difference, it's going to be Disney.
I imagine Chapek letting off a big evil belly laugh at that statement. "Yeah, right, like WE'RE going to take a profit margin hit. We'll just raise the prices and the sheep will follow!"

lazyboy97o

Just announced at IAAPA!

Coming soon to the Walt Disney World® Resort, an exciting new immersive experience that once again raises the bat in interactive guest engagement. Presenting the all new Magic Makers: A Disney Consumer Product Development Experience. For a low introductory price of $149.99 per guest, our guests will be able to immerse themselves in the Magic and wonder of creating Disney’s iconic consumer products by actually participating in their manufacturer. Guests will learn to cut, sew and assembly a variety of products that will go directly on sale at Walt Disney World® Resort in Florida and Disneyland® Resort in California. This new experience truly puts guests right into the Magic making that happens at your favorite DisneyPark®.

Nubs70

It's not really related that directly. We have no idea how Disney was managing their supply chain and quantities.

While it could be there's containers full of Disney merchandise waiting to unload sitting just off the coast. It could just as easily be that there's nothing for Disney in the pipeline at all, that they delayed purchases and slowed down the entire supply chain during the pandemic. Then, ran into issues ramping it back up all the way at the manufacturing end now. Especially if those manufacturers switched to other clients during a lull in Disney orders. It's not like we've ever seen Disney slow something down during a downturn (only every time).

Just like the chip shortage for can manufacturers has nothing to do with the port backup. There's not automotive chips sitting off shore not getting to the factories. They delayed orders when sales were down, then went to ramp up later only to find out that electronics makers used up all the capacity. Now the auto companies are at the back of the line to even have the chips made.

Lack of product in a Disney store and the ability to buy TP at the grocery store aren't that related.
As to air freight,

My company has regularly flown in raw material from China. As of yesterday's update, what used to cost $10,000 now costs in excess of $150,000.

So yes, prices would increase.

JoeCamel

As to air freight,

My company has regularly flown in raw material from China. As of yesterday's update, what used to cost $10,000 now costs in excess of $150,000.

Are companies paying that rate? I'm asking if the planes are full.

Lilofan

As to air freight,

Also it is no surprise that meds are getting more expensive and 75% of our meds come from China.

hopemax

I don’t know what it means but when we went to DLR in September they were stocked WAY better than WDW was in August. DLR doesn’t have the limit of 2 restriction WDW has. Universal Orlando in August was stocked way better than WDW.

Nubs70

Yes, companies are paying that rate.

Right now, many my products are under allocation which means companies under contract get partial orders while spot customers are not getting product. Allocation is one stepnfrom force mejure which means nobody gets nothing

Disney Dead Head

Yes, companies are paying that rate.

Right now, many my products are under allocation which means companies under contract get partial orders while spot customers are not getting product. Allocation is one stepnfrom force mejure which means nobody gets nothing
I'm in the same game as you are. Right now I'm being quoted $28K-$35K for a 40' Container that 2 years ago cost $3-4K. With no commercial flights in and out of Asia, and Air Shipment for products usually takes about 6-8 Weeks to schedule and then the cost per item to ship is 2 x the cost of the item to make. And yes I have containers sitting out of the CA coast. I have also had to resort to putting containers to ports i would have never used and dealing with Trucking it my warehouses as well. its a cluster that most people have no idea.

4 months ago we had the largest container ship in the world in port. Not dropping off containers but picking them up to being back as we are now starting to see ports running out of space full of empties

Ayla

Just announced at IAAPA!

Coming soon to the Walt Disney World® Resort, an exciting new immersive experience that once again raises the bat in interactive guest engagement. Presenting the all new Magic Makers: A Disney Consumer Product Development Experience. For a low introductory price of $149.99 per guest, our guests will be able to immerse themselves in the Magic and wonder of creating Disney’s iconic consumer products by actually participating in their manufacturer. Guests will learn to cut, sew and assembly a variety of products that will go directly on sale at Walt Disney World® Resort in Florida and Disneyland® Resort in California. This new experience truly puts guests right into the Magic making that happens at your favorite DisneyPark®.
I thought you were going to post about the $5,000 per person dining experience at Disney Springs. 😂 (No, that isn't a joke).

DisneyCane

I'm in the same game as you are. Right now I'm being quoted $28K-$35K for a 40' Container that 2 years ago cost $3-4K. With no commercial flights in and out of Asia, and Air Shipment for products usually takes about 6-8 Weeks to schedule and then the cost per item to ship is 2 x the cost of the item to make. And yes I have containers sitting out of the CA coast. I have also had to resort to putting containers to ports i would have never used and dealing with Trucking it my warehouses as well. its a cluster that most people have no idea.

4 months ago we had the largest container ship in the world in port. Not dropping off containers but picking them up to being back as we are now starting to see ports running out of space full of empties
Thanks for that detailed info. I don't think 99% of people understand the mess that the supply chain is in right now.

havoc315

I've been very clear in separating my statements of opinion from statements of fact.

The evidence continues to grow in support of vaccine boosters for all adults:

"Covid vaccine booster shots for all adults could be here by Thanksgiving — and new data says you should get one immediately"​

Lilofan

Thanks for that detailed info. I don't think 99% of people understand the mess that the supply chain is in right now.
99%? That is wishful thinking. Many I know cannot get cars, appliances, fixtures repaired due to a backlog of parts etc. Goods, materials, services are all impacted by the supply chain issues and we the customers are all affected.

DisneyCane

99%? That is wishful thinking. Many I know cannot get cars, appliances, fixtures repaired due to a backlog of parts etc. Goods, materials, services are all impacted by the supply chain issues and we the customers are all affected.
I mean they don't understand the behind the scenes mess. Many people have noticed things that are difficult or impossible to get that they want to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom