Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizgirl

Chip Chipperson

Well Joe got an out. He got to say he tried but doesn’t have to live with the mess this was going to create.

They're just following the court order to not take steps to enforce the mandate pending the outcome of the litigation. If the courts rule in their favor then they're still going to move forward with the rule. Depending on how long it takes to get a ruling and go through what will likely be multiple appeals, it's certainly possible that the starting date gets pushed back a little bit if the rule is allowed to be implemented.

sullyinMT

I mean, with the court order, they really have no choice to suspend at least for now. As this gets escalated, if the ruling changes, I am sure they will start it back up. I imagine this is going to the top eventually...this ain't over
Yeah, it’s definitely headed to SCOTUS. And regardless of one’s personal feelings about the rule, we should be happy that the OSHA rule won’t be enforced while this plays out.

I’m all for businesses, cities, counties, school districts, etc. mandating in the interim; that’s a precedent well established. A change in federal power structure or oversight shouldn’t be taken lightly. And something this overarching probably should be stayed while it’s hashed out.

In the meantime, my wife’s company moved forward last week with initiating the termination of non-compliant employees in the face of threatened litigation from said employees.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yeah, it’s definitely headed to SCOTUS. And regardless of one’s personal feelings about the rule, we should be happy that the OSHA rule won’t be enforced while this plays out.

I’m all for businesses, cities, counties, school districts, etc. mandating in the interim; that’s a precedent well established. A change in federal power structure or oversight shouldn’t be taken lightly. And something this overarching probably should be stayed while it’s hashed out.

In the meantime, my wife’s company moved forward last week with initiating the termination of non-compliant employees in the face of threatened litigation from said employees.
Yep. The judicial process is in place for a reason. We will see where it lands.

drizgirl

I mean, with the court order they really have no choice to suspend at least for now. As this gets escalated, if the ruling changes, I am sure they will start it back up. I imagine this is going to the top eventually...this ain't over
They're just following the court order to not take steps to enforce the mandate pending the outcome of the litigation. If the courts rule in their favor then they're still going to move forward with the rule. Depending on how long it takes to get a ruling and go through what will likely be multiple appeals, it's certainly possible that the starting date gets pushed back a little bit if the rule is allowed to be implemented.
I'm aware. But there have been other court orders they have ignored. And I assumed they'd fight this. I guess we'll see how hard they fight.

ArmoredRodent

OSHA suspends implementation and enforcement of large employer 'vaccine mandate'

Following a November 12 decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration says they have suspended all activities related to the impleme…
www.wspa.com
www.wspa.com
Please don't take this as the final word; it's just one Court of Appeals decision, no matter how vehemently it asserts jurisdiction.

As I explained above in Post 91,553, the special statute covering OSHA Emergency rules anticipated that there would be a contest over where the cases were brought, and required a lottery among the circuits with filed cases to decide which Circuit will decide the case. All twelve Circuit Courts have had cases filed, with those saying the mandate was too broad filing in some and those saying the mandate was too lax filing in others, and the lottery was held yesterday. The Fifth Circuit did not win; the Sixth Circuit (covering Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Tennessee) won. The Sixth Circuit, by statute, can modify, affirm or reject the Fifth Circuit's injunction against the vaccine mandate (and likely will, though the Fifth Circuit's opinion did have several good points).

The Sixth Circuit is full of very good judges, easily equivalent to those of the Fifth Circuit. Without getting political, the Sixth Circuit is generally conservative, with more judges nominated by Republican Presidents than Democratic ones. Here are a couple of articles discussing the lottery among Circuits and some of the proceedings:

Lilofan

I agree, and I hope they do. I just don’t see us getting anywhere near full vaccine compliance. And as far as the 5-11’s, the uptake will start out fast but will soon slow down to a crawl, most parents I know aren’t jumping at the opportunity quite yet.
If you are a parent with a kid 5 years or older, Disney Cruise Line requires the kids to be vaccinated prior to boarding the ships effective 1/22. Kudos to DCL!

Nubs70

Please don't take this as the final word; it's just one Court of Appeals decision, no matter how vehemently it asserts jurisdiction.

As I explained above in Post 91,553, the special statute covering OSHA Emergency rules anticipated that there would be a contest over where the cases were brought, and required a lottery among the circuits with filed cases to decide which Circuit will decide the case. All twelve Circuit Courts have had cases filed, with those saying the mandate was too broad filing in some and those saying the mandate was too lax filing in others, and the lottery was held yesterday. The Fifth Circuit did not win; the Sixth Circuit (covering Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Tennessee) won. The Sixth Circuit, by statute, can modify, affirm or reject the Fifth Circuit's injunction against the vaccine mandate (and likely will, though the Fifth Circuit's opinion did have several good points).

The Sixth Circuit is full of very good judges, easily equivalent to those of the Fifth Circuit. Without getting political, the Sixth Circuit is generally conservative, with more judges nominated by Republican Presidents than Democratic ones. Here are a couple of articles discussing the lottery among Circuits and some of the proceedings:

If this goes into effect and truckers are not exempted, the economy is going to screech to a halt.

mmascari

Why? Do you really think the vast majority of truckers will walk off the job rather than getting the shot and continuing to get paid?
About 1% or less if it’s like every other employer where this has come up.

A 1% loss of truckers could have some impact, but if it’s screech to a halt, the economy is already lost and just hasn’t noticed it yet.

PS: Are Disney retail sales keeping up with the parks and Star Cruiser? Doesn’t seem to be any issues for WDW asking money.

Nubs70

Why? Do you really think the vast majority of truckers will walk off the job rather than getting the shot and continuing to get paid?
It is not going to take a vast majority. About 10% is all it will take. Right now, things are stretched very thin. Lanes that used to cost $ 2,500 now cost $15,000. The ability to get raw material from China to US ports is trouble enough. Getting offloaded and to end user is terrible.

Current admin is now fining modular container owners $100/day compounded for every day past 9 days, $100 day 10, $200 day 11, $300 day 12...etc. To top it off, Cal AB 5, will eliminate the ability for independent owner operators to conduct business in California, further limiting supply of truckers to move product out of California. AB 5 is currently on court ordered hold but if implemented prices are going to go up further.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
About 1% or less if it’s like every other employer where this has come up.

A 1% loss of truckers could have some impact, but if it’s screech to a halt, the economy is already lost and just hasn’t noticed it yet.

PS: Are Disney retail sales keeping up with the parks and Star Cruiser? Doesn’t seem to be any issues for WDW asking money.
Disney is closing gift shops in each park because they do not have enough merchandise to stock them.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney is closing gift shops in each park because they do not have enough merchandise to stock them.
When the pandemic hit, Disney had on order a supply chain of ordered goods creating a huge surplus.

Now that they need that supply chain to be be going gangbusters, the global supply chain infrastructure has slowed to a crawl, and so, they're low on merchandise.

If only they had a CEO who had experience with merchandising...

Ayla

When the pandemic hit, Disney had on order a supply chain of ordered goods creating a huge surplus.

Now that they need that supply chain to be be going gangbusters, the global supply chain infrastructure has slowed to a crawl, and so, they're low on merchandise.

If only they had a CEO who had experience with merchandising...
And, if only all of their merchandise wasn't made in China.

drizgirl

I mean, it's kind of funny. But everyone should take this as an indication of just how bad things are. Not because Disney merchandise is critical. But because if anyone should be able to move goods from China, it's Disney. It doesn't bode well for the things we really need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom