Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe this will be the disease to kill off humanity...I'm going to stop paying my bills. ;)

After the booster, then what? My parents got theirs yesterday, we are getting ours week after Thanksgiving, but I know many, many vaccinated who aren't getting booster because they've been told they don't need.
If they were paying attention and listening to the right sources, they were told they didn't need boosters...
  • for now
  • unless they were elderly
  • unless they had low immune response
  • unless their occupation put them in high risk (e.g., medical personnel)
That "for now" is moving aside at this time.

dreday3

If they were paying attention and listening to the right sources, they were told they didn't need boosters...
  • for now
  • unless they were elderly
  • unless they had low immune response
  • unless their occupation put them in high risk (e.g., medical personnel)
That "for now" is moving aside at this time.

Let's be real, that "for now" was as close as last week! :D I'm not going to belittle people that have been following the guidance as has been so recently stated. Didn't you recently post you weren't getting the booster? Or am I mistaken?

It's going to be hard to convince people (not in those 3 groups listed) that now they too need the booster, that's all I'm saying. Quite the uphill battle being faced.

(and for the record, I am in favor of boosters for all)

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let's be real, that "for now" was as close as last week! :D I'm not going to belittle people that have been following the guidance as has been so recently stated.

It's going to be hard to convince people (not in those 3 groups listed) that now they too need the booster, that's all I'm saying. Quite the uphill battle being faced.
Well, to be fair, that "for now" was Oct 20 when the FDA/CDC did not recommend boosters for everyone, and its position has just been repeated since then.

Vaccine manufacturers have been pushing for boosters months before that. And people were wondering, then, for months, whether they should get boosted. But the FDA/CDC didn't even consider it until October.

I've changed my mind on getting boosted because:
  • I've read that my holding out on a boost isn't really keeping it from other parts of the world. Our glut here can't be easily translated into international vaccinations.
  • The anti-vaxx holdouts are keeping COVID around and endangering everyone else by not getting on board with eradication, so now, I need extra protection that I wouldn't have needed if everyone had gotten vaccinated
  • I'm travelling to WDW in two weeks and exposing myself to the general population even more so than I already am.

dreday3

Well, to be fair, that "for now" was Oct 20 when the FDA/CDC did not recommend boosters for everyone, and it's position has just been repeated since then.

Vaccine manufacturers have been pushing for boosters months before that. And people were wondering, then, for months, whether they should get boosted. But the FDA/CDC didn't even consider it until October.

• I've read that my holding out on a boost isn't really keeping it from other parts of the world. Our glut here can't be easily translated into international vaccinations.
  • The anti-vaxx holdouts are keeping COVID around and endangering everyone else by not getting on board with eradication, so now, I need extra protection that I wouldn't have needed if everyone had gotten vaccinated
  • I'm travelling to WDW in two weeks and exposing myself to the general population even more so than I already am.

Good! I get mine 12/1. :)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Florida is pretty flat right now as far as cases.
1637334905308.png

1637334926119.png

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
"What we’re starting to see now is an uptick in hospitalizations among people who’ve been vaccinated but not boosted”

Well good bye cruel world JK, even this not end of the world folks, even this is going to pain in my butt. I wonder the pandemic will be over as masks will be gone by 2022.

DisneyCane

BTW, Florida's case number dove down and are now starting to go up again. Same with other states that had number of cases drop significantly.

It's something to keep an eye on...
I don't think I'd say they are starting to go up again. It looks like they are staying relatively flat. Definitely not decreasing but I don't think increasing yet either.

ltc.jpg

It is the beginning of the annual Snowbird migration.
Between the snowbirds who come from the northern states (northeast especially) and people vacationing in FL from the northern states I would not be surprised to see an uptick. A person traveling into FL from one of the northern states is 4-6 times more likely than a FL resident to be infected. I'd like to think that at least people who are symptomatic would stay home but that is giving people too much credit.

hopemax

This little tidbit hit the news a few days ago:
SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – The mask debate continues. This time, it’s governor versus governor. Colorado Gov. Jared Polis said last week he won’t be requiring masks like New Mexico and will be leaving it up to counties, even as their cases keep climbing. He’s claiming masks haven’t helped improve New Mexico’s case count.

As a New Mexican, watching our cases only go upward, it's hard to disagree.
My county’s health department is supposedly coming Monday, because the health director has had enough.

The problem is how do you convince people that a 10-20% reduction is worth it. It doesn’t sound like a lot. In Disney terms, a reduction of that magnitude would be disastrous and slash & burn budgets would be in effect. But in your community what would a 10% reduction feel like? Would you even notice? The one place you would notice is hospitals. Even a small reduction could flip a hospital’s status from “We’re full, but managing” to needing to call in FEMA teams. We’ve got two of those now.

There is also a psychological impact on hospitals as well. Do mask mandates help keep essential nursing staff “on the job” or does the feeling of “no one cares what is happening to us” and the exhaustion just lead to more people quitting. Would better staffing have led to better care? Like we’ve said before, somehow we’ve decided we can ignore the cries for help coming from essential healthcare workers because we have to coddle all the people indulging in whatever Facebook fantasy of the week. Even dedicated people can only be expected to put up with that for so long.

sullyinMT

Well, to be fair, that "for now" was Oct 20 when the FDA/CDC did not recommend boosters for everyone, and its position has just been repeated since then.

Your final two reasons, plus MT’s most recent out of control surge, is what pushed me over the edge in mid October. I was eligible based on occupation, but in no rush honestly to go in. Then all Hades broke loose around me and I changed my mind.

I will say that the third Pfizer dose was a real doozy from a side effect standpoint. Nothing life-threatening, but I was sore and feverish in a more pronounced fashion. Though still only for 24 hours or so, peaked around 18 hours post shot.

DisneyCane

View attachment 601743

Something to keep an eye on.
I don't know where the NY Times data is coming from but neither the CDC nor worldometers.info show that increase. The CDC has the 7 day rolling average at 1499 cases and worldometers has it at 1500. I assume the discrepancy is due to rounding. NYT is showing 16% higher than either so maybe they have an error in the data.

DisneyCane

I'm on the brink of changing my mind on the booster due to that study out of Sweden that seems to clearly demonstrate significant waning of protection of the two dose booster vs. symptomatic COVID for Moderna (which is what I took). The protection against severe disease, hospitalization and death seems to hold up pretty well for my age group.

However, as I have said before, the thing I "fear" most from COVID has always been and still is losing my sense of taste or smell for any period of time. Trying to avoid this possible symptom is the main reason I got vaccinated as soon as I could. Since the efficacy vs. symptomatic disease wanes so significantly (especially for men), I am leaning towards getting boosted when I'm given the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom