Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt9112

You know advancements in quality of care, including vaccinations and preventing spread of disease for immune compromised would also raise the average life expectancy age.

But why? We legitimately cant feed all the people on earth for starters. Furthermore the elderly cohert that is balooning in many nations is probably a bigger economic threat than covid ever could be.

JoeCamel

But why? We legitimately cant feed all the people on earth for starters. Furthermore the elderly cohert that is balooning in many nations is probably a bigger economic threat than covid ever could be.
I agree we have a huge problem pumping up the life expectancy but we can do both without doing nothing, all is not lost

Tom P.

I agree we have a huge problem pumping up the life expectancy but we can do both without doing nothing, all is not lost
Okay, so we've now reached the "we really need to let people die because elderly people are worse than Covid" stage of the argument. How lovely.

JoeCamel

Okay, so we've now reached the "we really need to let people die because elderly people are worse than Covid" stage of the argument. How lovely.
I spent the last 20 years in and around end of life care facilities. Even with lots of money it is still a tough way to go. Without money it is horrible. The cost of trying to prolong life/live to 100 is enormous.
You will die in the end so some here say they shouldn't even try if the outcome is the same.
I hope you all have a sound plan to live your last 20 years if not it will be a struggle.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I spent the last 20 years in and around end of life care facilities. Even with lots of money it is still a tough way to go. Without money it is horrible. The cost of trying to prolong life/live to 100 is enormous.
You will die in the end so some here say they shouldn't even try if the outcome is the same.
I hope you all have a sound plan to live your last 20 years if not it will be a struggle.
There's a lot of promising medical advancements on the horizon that could significantly improve the quality of life of the 80+ crowd.

And in any case why is it up to any of us to decide that people, regardless of the age, are expendable?

JoeCamel

There's a lot of promising medical advancements on the horizon that could significantly improve the quality of life of the 80+ crowd.

And in any case why is it up to any of us to decide that people, regardless of the age, are expendable?
I didn't but maybe it is something everyone needs to think about before the decisions are made on the fly.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

There was a Star Trek Next Generation episode about this.

ToTBellHop

Today in summary:

1635980332826.gif

Disney Glimpses

So it's ok to personally choose to drink 10 shots of whisky before getting behind a wheel?

Personal choice!
You’re described the worst sort of selfish anarchy. The idea that causing harm to others is wrong and it is proper to stop it, with force if necessary, is a basic conceit of civilization going back millennia.
You act as though infections in vaccinated people are rare or don't occur at all. They aren't and they do. Ontario dropped their healthcare worker vaccine mandate today not because people weren't complying but because they were seeing the same amount of spread in vaccinated people as they were unvaccinated. To suggest that the cases would screech to a grinding halt if every human being on earth were vaccinated is pure fantasy.

Why is it okay for a vaccinated person to spread COVID and kill someone, because they tried harder?

Disney Glimpses

I need a link for this
While they don't list the rate of infection, surely if it were 'rare' it would not be a significant factor not require it for employment and subsequently treating patients. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Israel saw more cases than ever during the Delta surge with nearly the entire country vaccinated; 93% of those cases were 'breakthrough.'

They aren't rare. Vaccines aren't a magic bullet to stop the spread; they are a critical personal protection and people are stupid to not utilize that tool but they sure as heck aren't the drive of the pandemic. The vaccine evading variant is.

Disney Glimpses

That is not what you said in your original post, you said vaccinated were just as likely to spread as unvaccinated. This is saying that once there is a breakthrough that the vaccinated as as infectious as the unvaccinated.
What do you think the breakthrough infection rate is?

JoeCamel

While they don't list the rate of infection, surely if it were 'rare' it would not be a significant factor not require it for employment and subsequently treating patients. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Israel saw more cases than ever during the Delta surge with nearly the entire country vaccinated; 93% of those cases were 'breakthrough.'

They aren't rare. Vaccines aren't a magic bullet to stop the spread; they are a critical personal protection and people are stupid to not utilize that tool but they sure as heck aren't the drive of the pandemic. The vaccine evading variant is.

Thanks for the link but it does not say they are the same rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom