Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

I hadn't really been following treatment protocols. I was a bit surprised to learn when I actually went into it recently, how middling the recommendations are for Remdesivir. Particularly since the US was really promoting it for a period.

Canadian physicians are no longer using it in any protocol apart from research studies. Turns out it's just another wonder drug, that wasn't.
It has fallen out of favor in the US too. I don't think anyone claimed it was a wonder drug, though. There was some initial evidence that it may have provided some benefit, and at the time, it was really the only strong lead. Subsequent trials and clinical experience, though, showed that it wasn't useful.

Disney Experience

For those curious on current covid treatment research:

Pfizer's Oral treatment: Double blinded (quadruple masked) Primary conpletion date Oct 16th this year :

Merck’s: Currently in Phase 3 trials

There are a few other companies working on therapeutics. Hopefully the above ones have more success than previous ones, we should know soon.

correcaminos

Normalizing to me is not seeing wearing masks in Disney any different than anywhere else in public, or making it a big deal. It’s reality. It’s now. Masks don’t have to be a scary and bad thing unless you make it out to be.
I think you are not understanding my point and making it seem like I'm one of those anti-maskers. I am actually trying to explain why people want them gone. What you feel is normalizing is not mine. If you really want to understand why people don't want masks, don't keep going in circles like this. You claimed hot weather indoors at Disney is better than outdoors without. It wasn't true all the time. I wear them, but I utterly hate them now. In hot weather inside they still sucked at Disney. When I can not wear them I won't. Why? They are insanely uncomfortable to me. You can have not so postive experiences wearing and not be a maskhole.

Again I was there to answer why some want them gone, not to be lectured. I wear mine indoors in public all the time now.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 booster shot is 94% effective when administered two months after the first dose in the U.S., the company announced Tuesday, adding that the booster increases antibody levels four to six times higher than one shot alone.

A J&J booster dose given six months out from the first shot appears to be potentially even more protective against Covid, the company said, generating antibodies twelve-fold higher four weeks after the boost, regardless of age.

When given as a booster, the vaccine remained well-tolerated, with side effects generally consistent with those seen after the initial dose, according to J&J.

“We now have generated evidence that a booster shot further increases protection against COVID-19 and is expected to extend the duration of protection significantly,” Paul Stoffels, J&J’s chief scientific officer, said in a statement.

The new data, provided in a press release, helps J&J make a case to the Food and Drug Administration to authorize a booster shot to some 14.8 million Americans who have received the company’s single-dose vaccine so far.

The Biden administration announced plans last month to roll out booster shots for people who received the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. An FDA advisory committee on Friday unanimously recommended Pfizer booster shots to people age 65 and older and other vulnerable Americans. A final decision from the agency is expected any day now.

U.S. health officials said they needed more data on the J&J vaccine before they can recommend boosters of those shots.

The 94% efficacy rate for the J&J booster shot is for the U.S., the company said. Globally, a booster shot given about two months after the first dose is 75% effective against symptomatic infection, according to the company. It also demonstrated 100% effectiveness against severe and critical disease, it said.

The company also released data from a real-world study that found a single dose of its vaccine provided strong and long-lasting protection against Covid-19 related hospitalizations, demonstrating 81% effectiveness after several months.

The new data on a single dose is important as it is “critical to prioritize protecting as many people as possible against hospitalization and death given the continued spread of COVID-19 and rapidly emerging variants,” the company said.

“A single-shot COVID-19 vaccine that is easy to use, distribute and administer that provides strong and long-lasting protection is crucial to vaccinating the global population,” Stoffels said."

Here's a link to the J&J announcement -

correcaminos

Part of my question is, we qualified to get the vax in the high risk group because our daughter - who is too young to be vaxxed yet - is high risk. So do we then qualify for boosters, given she is still not able to be vaxxed?
The immunocompromised have qualified due to their health and how they process vaccines. Not all immunocompromised even had antibodies after dose one per reports from people I know (some indirectly through a leukemia group I'm associated with). That, at this time per my understanding, is why they have shot #3. You still likely have strong protection from the vaccines, those with weakened immune systems may not.

JoeCamel

"Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 booster shot is 94% effective when administered two months after the first dose in the U.S., the company announced Tuesday, adding that the booster increases antibody levels four to six times higher than one shot alone.

A J&J booster dose given six months out from the first shot appears to be potentially even more protective against Covid, the company said, generating antibodies twelve-fold higher four weeks after the boost, regardless of age.

When given as a booster, the vaccine remained well-tolerated, with side effects generally consistent with those seen after the initial dose, according to J&J.

“We now have generated evidence that a booster shot further increases protection against COVID-19 and is expected to extend the duration of protection significantly,” Paul Stoffels, J&J’s chief scientific officer, said in a statement.

The new data, provided in a press release, helps J&J make a case to the Food and Drug Administration to authorize a booster shot to some 14.8 million Americans who have received the company’s single-dose vaccine so far.

The Biden administration announced plans last month to roll out booster shots for people who received the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. An FDA advisory committee on Friday unanimously recommended Pfizer booster shots to people age 65 and older and other vulnerable Americans. A final decision from the agency is expected any day now.

U.S. health officials said they needed more data on the J&J vaccine before they can recommend boosters of those shots.

The 94% efficacy rate for the J&J booster shot is for the U.S., the company said. Globally, a booster shot given about two months after the first dose is 75% effective against symptomatic infection, according to the company. It also demonstrated 100% effectiveness against severe and critical disease, it said.

The company also released data from a real-world study that found a single dose of its vaccine provided strong and long-lasting protection against Covid-19 related hospitalizations, demonstrating 81% effectiveness after several months.

The new data on a single dose is important as it is “critical to prioritize protecting as many people as possible against hospitalization and death given the continued spread of COVID-19 and rapidly emerging variants,” the company said.

“A single-shot COVID-19 vaccine that is easy to use, distribute and administer that provides strong and long-lasting protection is crucial to vaccinating the global population,” Stoffels said."

Here's a link to the J&J announcement -

Oh man, all those people that got J&J because it was one and done gonna be mad when they have to get another

DisneyCane

I think you are not understanding my point and making it seem like I'm one of those anti-maskers. I am actually trying to explain why people want them gone. What you feel is normalizing is not mine. If you really want to understand why people don't want masks, don't keep going in circles like this. You claimed hot weather indoors at Disney is better than outdoors without. It wasn't true all the time. I wear them, but I utterly hate them now. In hot weather inside they still sucked at Disney. When I can not wear them I won't. Why? They are insanely uncomfortable to me. You can have not so postive experiences wearing and not be a maskhole.

Again I was there to answer why some want them gone, not to be lectured. I wear mine indoors in public all the time now.
I visited WDW two weeks ago because I decided the low crowds were worth the tradeoff for the indoor masks. My prior visit started the second day after masks were not required for the fully vaccinated (which translated to basically everybody). It was annoying in the queues but not too bad because the longest we waited was 25 minutes for FoP.

Compared to no-masks, they do detract from the experience of the rides. Especially things like RnRC where you don't have the wind in your face. Even RotR felt less exciting due to the same issue. Not to mention the stupid looking on ride photos.

I'm very anti-mask (as most on this thread probably know). I wear them when required like indoors at WDW or on aircraft but I hate it. Anywhere not required, I don't.

techgeek

Oh man, all those people that got J&J because it was one and done gonna be mad when they have to get another

I’m not especially mad, because I always assumed there would at least be annual boosters for a time.

I will be sort of confused, though. After my vasovagal reaction to the J&J, my doctor advised that if it turned out a booster was recommended to not repeat the J&J and jump to one of the others. Then I had a breakthrough infection, and his recommendation changed to ‘well the infection is basically better then a booster as far as antibodies, so now you’re good until next year at least’.

Not sure where that’s going to put me in terms of keeping up on my ‘vaccine compliance’, I suppose if a booster is required for me to remain ‘fully vaccinated’, I’ll do whatever I’m supposed to do.

correcaminos

I visited WDW two weeks ago because I decided the low crowds were worth the tradeoff for the indoor masks. My prior visit started the second day after masks were not required for the fully vaccinated (which translated to basically everybody). It was annoying in the queues but not too bad because the longest we waited was 25 minutes for FoP.

Compared to no-masks, they do detract from the experience of the rides. Especially things like RnRC where you don't have the wind in your face. Even RotR felt less exciting due to the same issue. Not to mention the stupid looking on ride photos.

I'm very anti-mask (as most on this thread probably know). I wear them when required like indoors at WDW or on aircraft but I hate it. Anywhere not required, I don't.
I didn't have any issues on RnR personally but I get it. There were other rides that made it harder. And yes, the ride pics are silly looking. Not to mention lost ones because mask fell a little while someone was legit screaming. Whether people realize it or not, I am not anti-mask, I just won't pretend they don't bother me at all, because they do. I even sing with one on which is worse because I have to manipulate them to wear right while deep breaths in and such.

I absolutely willingly wear as needed and even do in places that don't require now because transmission in high. I'm no jerk about it, I just am being honest. Given the lack of likes when trying to explain it shows to me that some people are feeling any negative comments about masks are not okay. It's real life, we can dislike something but do it because we know it's the right thing to do...

disneygeek90

I don’t like masks, but after 18 months I’m at the point where I don’t think about it anymore. Especially at the parks. I understand for some having a mask in a ride photo is distracting. I literally could not care less about ride photos.

The real hindrance is in 3D attractions and trying not to get the fog built up in the glasses. But once again, these are minor annoyances to me and a lot of it feels relatively normal in these times. Maybe if everyone got the vaccine when it was offered to them we could have dropped them by now. Would have been nice.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Part of my question is, we qualified to get the vax in the high risk group because our daughter - who is too young to be vaxxed yet - is high risk. So do we then qualify for boosters, given she is still not able to be vaxxed?
That info will come from the CDC (hopefully any day now). Once the FDA approves the vaccine (in this case approval of a booster for 65+ and high risk) the CDC has to detail the logistics like who qualifies, how long people should wait after 2nd shot and when pharmacies and counties can start giving the boosters.

dovetail65

Boosters will almsot certainly be approved for everyone once we get a little further along and the shots can be tailored like the flu shots are per season. Or even better yet each booster tailored to each individual where some may not need boosters and some do, not based just on age but antibody count and other factors as well. Plus they are already working on a 3rd shot that is not just the same as first two that may fight future variants better,

Unless third shot is shown to heavily increase the heart issue(I have) or we find another health issue and because the immunity from the vaccine or getting Covid is not forever I believe we will see boosters approved for a larger part the population.With my heart issue causes from Vaccine I would like more assurances before I would get a 3rd.

New study J&J 2months booster shows 90%today. It isn't t peer reviewed yet,but looks promising and they need get a trial for more Americans.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t like masks, but after 18 months I’m at the point where I don’t think about it anymore. Especially at the parks. I understand for some having a mask in a ride photo is distracting. I literally could not care less about ride photos.

The real hindrance is in 3D attractions and trying not to get the fog built up in the glasses. But once again, these are minor annoyances to me and a lot of it feels relatively normal in these times. Maybe if everyone got the vaccine when it was offered to them we could have dropped them by now. Would have been nice.
I feel pretty much the same way except I do enjoy the ride photos but for me they are a reminder of the trip and the experience itself which included masks. I don’t think it’s a big deal but I am also not triggered by mask rules. I can see how people who are vocally anti-mask don’t want to share pictures on social media of themselves in a mask. That kinda thing gets you kicked out of the echo chamber ;););)

DisneyCane

Something strange is going on with the data. I keep expecting Labor Day to be a blip and it to come back, but it hasn't yet. I didn't collect early samples for all the dates to see if the testing numbers are being backfilled and just reported late like the death numbers. I would love for it to be all good, but it looks strange.

CDC data:

Cases way down since 8/30.
StateDateNew Cases7-Day Moving Avg7-Day Case Rate per 100k
FloridaSep 19, 202108,811287.19
FloridaSep 18, 20218,6459,808319.66
FloridaSep 17, 20219,92310,968357.48
FloridaSep 16, 202111,47510,869354.26
FloridaSep 15, 20219,39311,788384.21
FloridaSep 14, 202110,86612,231398.65
FloridaSep 13, 202111,38012,668412.89
FloridaSep 12, 20216,97412,498407.35
FloridaSep 11, 202116,76813,093426.73
FloridaSep 10, 20219,23013,165429.09
FloridaSep 9, 202117,90814,292465.82
FloridaSep 8, 202112,49514,320466.73
FloridaSep 7, 202113,92415,616508.96
FloridaSep 6, 202110,19116,368533.48
FloridaSep 5, 202111,13517,591573.32
FloridaSep 4, 202117,27617,870582.42
FloridaSep 3, 202117,11817,935584.54
FloridaSep 2, 202118,10318,545604.43
FloridaSep 1, 202121,56719,929649.52
FloridaAug 31, 202119,19019,908648.87
FloridaAug 30, 202118,74820,930682.18

Testing way down too
StateDateDaily Test Volume7-Day % Positivity
FloridaSep 19, 2021N/A0
FloridaSep 18, 2021N/A0
FloridaSep 17, 202129,88111.32
FloridaSep 16, 202167,37311.69
FloridaSep 15, 202196,07112.1
FloridaSep 14, 2021112,55012.64
FloridaSep 13, 2021133,47513.07
FloridaSep 12, 202162,76913.45
FloridaSep 11, 202156,66613.64
FloridaSep 10, 202197,62713.78
FloridaSep 9, 2021107,50613.75
FloridaSep 8, 2021116,47513.91
FloridaSep 7, 2021155,41413.95
FloridaSep 6, 202157,07314.16
FloridaSep 5, 202165,96014.45
FloridaSep 4, 202175,68614.58
FloridaSep 3, 2021128,19014.69
FloridaSep 2, 2021133,41515.11
FloridaSep 1, 2021140,13815.49
FloridaAug 31, 2021144,30816.05
FloridaAug 30, 2021160,34316.58

When I read that, I see Friday 9/17 reported 30K tests. There's been 9,000+ cases reported in each @DCBaker post from 9/17 through today. The positivity is still dropping in this data and the other posts. Something doesn't add up. Since 9 over 30 would be 30%.

The holiday was on 9/6 and you can see the number of tests plummet on 9/4, 5, and 6. Jumps back up on 9/7. But, it's been consistently lower then week to week since labor day. Much lower than the case numbers.

Unless it's all getting backfilled in every day and all those test numbers in the last 2 weeks are junk that's still changing and not useful to look at.

That's what I cannot tell. Is the last two weeks of data useless to look at since it changes every day. Meaning we need to wait until 9/27 to know the "final" test data through 9/13 to get past the labor day slump. Or, what's really going on?

The whole thing makes it hard to look at even the 7 day averages that blunt the day to day numbers for the recent weeks. I feel like we're pretty good on what we know and how things were trending as of 9/6, but not the time between 9/6 and now. I think we'll know, but it may not be until we're 2 weeks past not and trying to know what's up with going into October and finally seeing middle of September.
Why would you expect a blip from Labor Day in FL? Those blips as a result of holidays are because people let their mitigation guard down and gather differently on holidays. FL doesn't really have any mitigation. People who were mitigating on their own aren't going to change their behavior on a holiday weekend.

If there is a spike in the northeast during the winter, there may be increase in FL because of people traveling from the places that will then be hotspots to FL.

drizgirl

Honestly it wasn't bad but there were times when I'd rather be outside in FL than indoors with AC with a mask. It wasn't the worst but not all times were great. I remember the Land pavillion being particularly bad.

They can kinda suck. I wear as directed but the failure to understand that not all are comfortable with them is something I am getting tired of hearing. Not as much as those still fighting wearing them, but I can tell you they are not my favorite thing at all and I loved not having them at all this summer. Not everything is great with them and not everyone who hates them and wishes them gone are maskholes. Lots of gray.
Agreed. I hate them, but was happy they mandated them in classrooms at my daughter's college. Hating them does not mean that you 1) don't follow the rules or 2) don't see the need for them in certain situations for now.

People do their side in this argument a real disservice when they can't see nuance and middle ground.

DisneyCane

I feel pretty much the same way except I do enjoy the ride photos but for me they are a reminder of the trip and the experience itself which included masks. I don’t think it’s a big deal but I am also not triggered by mask rules. I can see how people who are vocally anti-mask don’t want to share pictures on social media of themselves in a mask. That kinda thing gets you kicked out of the echo chamber ;););)
I don't share my ride photos on social media anyway and only have them because photopass is included with my AP (until next year). However, they look stupid and cover most of the reaction.

dovetail65

Why would you expect a blip from Labor Day in FL? Those blips as a result of holidays are because people let their mitigation guard down and gather differently on holidays. FL doesn't really have any mitigation. People who were mitigating on their own aren't going to change their behavior on a holiday weekend.

If there is a spike in the northeast during the winter, there may be increase in FL because of people traveling from the places that will then be hotspots to FL.

Agreed

I make a post in my local private Florida FB group about Florida doing well being 21st and 55% vaccinated and they shoot back they are convinced 80%of people are vaccinated in FL and we get natural immunity from Covid. Some peolple you just cant talk to,even armed with facts.

So yeah in FL blips many times won't make any sense at all especially blips that are expected that don't occur because the numbers are so high to begin with and it's free for all every day anyhow. There is little pattern down there.

Lilofan

Mask or no mask the fragrance smell is overwhelming when I stepped into the Norway, France and Italy perfume gift shops in Epcot. The France shop is the most intense. A hot steamy day wearing cologne , perfume, no thanks. I would think an N95 mask could be better but I wear the regular cloth ones when required to do so.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Agreed. I hate them, but was happy they mandated them in classrooms at my daughter's college. Hating them does not mean that you 1) don't follow the rules or 2) don't see the need for them in certain situations for now.

People do their side in this argument a real disservice when they can't see nuance and middle ground.
I was on a flight Sunday where they forced a kid who looked to be 3-4 years old to wear a mask which resulted in the kid screaming at the top of his lungs for an hour. I can guarantee you that far more droplets of whatever he may have been carrying were expelled through the mask with him screaming like that than would have been if he was sitting there breathing with no mask. I'm not sure which "side" you were referring to but there are clearly situations like that where the mask up "side" lacks any common sense at all.

disneygeek90

I don't share my ride photos on social media anyway and only have them because photopass is included with my AP (until next year). However, they look stupid and cover most of the reaction.
I purposely look away from the ride photo in Pirates. When they first added that I looked and the flash is so bright in there it had me seeing spots for several minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom