Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpcoTim

But that is in breakthrough infections which are rare compared to the unvaxed spreading it and clogging up the hospitals. Wrong place to focus
Not the wrong place to focus at all if people still think they are totally immune once vaccinated, which seems to be a lot of people.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Vaxx'd or unVaxx'd you can still spread it just the same. In fact, the Vaxx'd are probably more dangerous because we believe we're already in the clear and far less likely to show any symptoms. You can still spread it to grandma though.

"It also found no significant difference in the viral load present in the breakthrough infections occurring in fully vaccinated people and the other cases, suggesting the viral load of vaccinated and unvaccinated persons infected with the coronavirus is similar."

And like that guy earlier who blamed the unVaxx'd for his mothers illness, he might want to blame the baby (and consider blaming the Vaxx'd)

"This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC's updated mask recommendation. The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones," (from previous article)

I know people want to push their agendas, but picking and choosing which facts you want to believe and which facts you want to ignore does no one any good. Vaxx'd or unVaxx'd, you have to look at the whole data set or none of it. Spreading non-sense is pointless no matter which side of the VAXX boat you are on.
Breakthrough infections are still relatively rare and the vaccines still have high efficacy even vs delta. The vast majority of infections are not breakthrough infections they are in unvaccinated people. Look at the Orange County tweets posted here periodically, 90%+ of new infections are in unvaccinated people. So while a vaccinated person with a breakthrough infection can still spread covid they are much less likely to be infected in the first place so much less likely to be spreading it. So yes, unvaccinated people are spreading covid a lot more than vaccinated people. On an individual basis you are much less likely to get Covid if you are vaccinated and so therefore are much less likely to spread it as a result. The first step in spreading covid is getting sick in the first place.

Vegas Disney Fan

More infectious diseases continued for centuries. Natural immunity is not a viable means and even if it was demands far more of others than vaccination.
It’s 100% viable, that’s how the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic ended, even though the virus is still with us today.

It took 3 years, 1/3 of the world was infected, and 3% of the earths population died (equivalent to 230 million today) but even if we do absolutely nothing we’ll eventually reach herd immunity. It’ll just be slow and painful.

OR… we could just get vaccinated and avoid the horrors of reaching natural immunity.

Not sure why it’s such a tough choice for a lot of people but I find solace in the fact this will eventually end regardless of those who cant seem to grasp the big picture.

EpcoTim

You’re creating a false equivalency. People are much more forgiving of a contagious vaccinated person because they took the step to drastically reduce their chances of being infected.
Not false equivalency at all and it has zero to do with forgiveness.

My point was - vaccinated people can still carry it and pass it to others and are less likely to get tested because they show no symptoms or have, not sure what to call it, Vaxx ego? Implied immunity due to vaccination?

Regardless, any and all numbers need to be looked at and being overly confident because you’re vaccinated is only slightly better than being overly confident and not vaccinated.

SteveAZee

Vaxx'd or unVaxx'd you can still spread it just the same. In fact, the Vaxx'd are probably more dangerous because we believe we're already in the clear and far less likely to show any symptoms. You can still spread it to grandma though.

"It also found no significant difference in the viral load present in the breakthrough infections occurring in fully vaccinated people and the other cases, suggesting the viral load of vaccinated and unvaccinated persons infected with the coronavirus is similar."

And like that guy earlier who blamed the unVaxx'd for his mothers illness, he might want to blame the baby (and consider blaming the Vaxx'd)

"This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC's updated mask recommendation. The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones," (from previous article)

I know people want to push their agendas, but picking and choosing which facts you want to believe and which facts you want to ignore does no one any good. Vaxx'd or unVaxx'd, you have to look at the whole data set or none of it. Spreading non-sense is pointless no matter which side of the VAXX boat you are on.
The breakthrough infections happen and yes, it's good for everyone to wear masks (I am fully vaccinated and I wear a mask). There are people out there that are unvaccinated AND not wearing masks in the name of their personal freedom. My post was in reference to the idea that (I believe tongue in cheek) that Darwin will take care of this, killing off those who choose to not get vaccinated. I was just pointing out that they (the unvaccinated) are pretty likely to take down others as well. I suppose there are also some number of vaccinated people who are harming others by spreading the virus unknowingly, and that's bad as well.

Vegas Disney Fan

Not the wrong place to focus at all if people still think they are totally immune once vaccinated, which seems to be a lot of people.
Not totally immune but 90% reduced risk places Covid in the same risk category as the yearly flu. If everyone got vaccinated and we prevented 90% of Covid deaths that would mean about 40,000 deaths a year, more or less an average flu season.

Everyone’s compared Covid to the flu for a year and a half, we now have the means to make that a reality and people are resisting it for some reason.

SteveAZee

My point was - vaccinated people can still carry it and pass it to others and are less likely to get tested because they show no symptoms or have, not sure what to call it, Vaxx ego? Implied immunity due to vaccination?

Regardless, any and all numbers need to be looked at and being overly confident because you’re vaccinated is only slightly better than being overly confident and not vaccinated.
It's always about playing the odds and trying to minimize the spread and maximize resistance. Vaccinated people are much less likely to spread it, but the odds aren't zero. Masks will help prevent the spread, but the odds aren't zero. Social distancing and hand washing the same. The more you can stack the odds against the virus the more likely it is that it will dissipate with time and quit killing or disabling people and our health care system.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Do you have a link to a study or report showing that vaccinated people are less likely to be tested? In my experience the people who took covid seriously from day 1 are mostly all vaccinated and those people are also much more likely to get tested if exposed. I know a number of fully vaccinated people who have gotten tested for Covid since their vaccination. I’ve never heard this narrative so I’m just curious if this is something people are actually saying or just an opinion.

EpcoTim

Breakthrough infections are still relatively rare and the vaccines still have high efficacy even vs delta. The vast majority of infections are not breakthrough infections they are in unvaccinated people. Look at the Orange County tweets posted here periodically, 90%+ of new infections are in unvaccinated people. So while a vaccinated person with a breakthrough infection can still spread covid they are much less likely to be infected in the first place so much less likely to be spreading it. So yes, unvaccinated people are spreading covid a lot more than vaccinated people. On an individual basis you are much less likely to get Covid if you are vaccinated and so therefore are much less likely to spread it as a result. The first step in spreading covid is getting sick in the first place.
But….. with the low rate of vaccinated having symptoms or issues, how do we know what the true breakthrough number is? How many have a breakthrough case but stopped being tested or stopped masking because they think they don’t have to worry? How many felt mildly ill but ignored it because they were fully vaccinated? How do we know how many vaccinated might be casting if they show zero symptoms? Numbers and studies on the true amount of breakthroughs are limited and incomplete.

All I’m saying is that the vaccinated need to stop thinking they and their loved ones are invincible just like the anti-Vaxx crew thinks the same. No one yet understands how this virus really moves and I’m pretty sure no one is still holding in their farts based on some news articles published months ago.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But….. with the low rate of vaccinated having symptoms or issues, how do we know what the true breakthrough number is? How many have a breakthrough case but stopped being tested or stopped masking because they think they don’t have to worry? How many felt mildly ill but ignored it because they were fully vaccinated? How do we know how many vaccinated might be casting if they show zero symptoms? Numbers and studies on the true amount of breakthroughs are limited and incomplete.

All I’m saying is that the vaccinated need to stop thinking they and their loved ones are invincible just like the anti-Vaxx crew thinks the same. No one yet understands how this virus really moves and I’m pretty sure no one is still holding in their farts based on some news articles published months ago.
Since we don’t know anything for sure maybe the plan should just be everyone gets vaccinated and we’ll see what happens. Maybe after we hit 100% vaccinated if cases don’t drop then we can conclude definitively that the vaccinated are spreading covid more than we thought and they were the problem all along. if that’s the case I’ll personally go door to door and apologize to every person who didn’t want to get the vaccine but did because of employer mandates.

SteveAZee

Are a lot of vaccinated people doing that? Thinking they're invincible? I haven't and the people I know don't, but I'd agree that some vaccinated people may act or think that way. I haven't a clue as to whether that's 60% of them or 0.01% of them.

correcaminos

I don't know anyone vaccinated who thinks they are. My risks are low and I'd prefer mask free, but I'm not sure where you see people here at least saying that. I'm sure IRL some do, but not sure how many to even think this is an issue.

EpcoTim

It's always about playing the odds and trying to minimize the spread and maximize resistance. Vaccinated people are much less likely to spread it, but the odds aren't zero. Masks will help prevent the spread, but the odds aren't zero. Social distancing and hand washing the same. The more you can stack the odds against the virus the more likely it is that it will dissipate with time and quit killing or disabling people and our health care system.
I get that, but it’s not a zero sum game either way. Saying that only the unvaccinated are spreading the disease with their “tainted” mouths (from a post that was not yours) is side-stepping another issue, one that could be serious. One side is much more likely but the other is not immune.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are a lot of vaccinated people doing that? Thinking they're invincible? I haven't and the people I know don't, but I'd agree that some vaccinated people may act or think that way. I haven't a clue as to whether that's 60% of them or 0.01% of them.
The people I know who took covid seriously from day 1 are vaccinated and still take covid seriously. I don’t know anyone who got vaccinated and then ran out licking door knobs. I know a few people who never took Covid seriously, never got vaccinated, got Covid and still don’t take it seriously. They think they are invincible because they got covid and didn’t die.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I get that, but it’s not a zero sum game either way. Saying that only the unvaccinated are spreading the disease with their “tainted” mouths (from a post that was not yours) is side-stepping another issue, one that could be serious. One side is much more likely but the other is not immune.
I agree with this. We all need to be careful still, especially with community spread where it is today. Hopefully some day soon we will be at the point where we don’t need masks and distancing and other precautions because the spread will be way down and the vast majority will be vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom