Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Experience

It isn't going to happen like that.

The CDC is recommending a booster for the immuno-compromised, not for the general population.

There is no data so far that the vaccines we have for the general population are "wearing off." And until that data is confirmed, which can take months and months, a booster won't be recommended by the CDC for the general population.

The U.S. has put the order in for boosters 'just in case," just like for the initial Project Warp Speed.

A new variant that is resistant to or 'hides from' the current vaccines can change all that. But... it's a case of semantics if a newly formulated vaccine for a new variant is really a "booster" or a just a "new vaccine."

Lots of data showing vaccines wearing off. Just look at some of the studies and analysis I have linked in the past. This includes Pfizer’s own analysis of phase 3 data pre delta. VE of Pfizer is dropping 3% per month. ( linked in the past) Then other studies showing Pfizer is less effective vs delta. To get it as effective as two shots are against wild covid (the original) they need us to get a booster ( ie three shots total). This is from Pfizer’s Phase 1 booster study results. I linked it earlier.

So vaccine effectiveness is going down ( Pfizer 3% per month, Moderna 1% per month pre delta), and the vaccines are less effective vs delta. So their effectiveness is decreasing over time and due to the variant ( delta). But they still have a positive effect, if diminished, and they seem more effective against serious covid ( cases requiring hospitalization) than symptomatic covid.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yes. My thoughts exactly.

Interesting on the U.K. to Israel comparison. Didn’t Canada seperate the shots more as well?
We did, in the beginning, due to a slow procurement. When Hubby and I and Son #1 got our first shot, the original date for our second shot was scheduled 15 weeks hence.

Once the vaccines started to roll in though, second doses accelerated quickly. For Hubby and I, our doses ended up being 33 days apart. Our son’s were 22 days apart.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I believe you are correct about that and their cases are staying low. It’s hard to guess why, though, bc they have such a high vaccine uptake.
Also, depending upon the province, many restrictions were never lifted.

Here in Ontario for instance, capacity limits remain in place, and masks are still mandatory indoors. Places like movie theatres, indoor dining, and gyms only re-opened July 16th!

Vaccine uptake is very high. Even so, case counts are rising, although hospitals and ICU’s are not exploding, and deaths remain relatively low. For now. Daily numbers being published now differentiate between cases that are among the vaccinated, partially vaccinated, and unvaccinated. Wanna guess which group tops the charts?

Several big announcements are expected tomorrow (technically later today), among those being that healthcare workers and those working in long term care facilities will be required to be vaccinated (or tested twice weekly and/or relocated to positions away from patients) and that there will be no further easing of restrictions at this time. Masks and capacity limits will remain in place.

Our numbers:
34336351-A766-4353-85DA-0F0FDDB54A4A.jpeg

Youth aged 12 to 17 have the lowest vaccination rate of eligible age cohorts in Ontario, with 69 per cent having received one dose and 55 per cent fully vaccinated. There are currently no COVID-19 vaccines approved in Canada for children under 12.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Also, depending upon the province, many restrictions were never lifted.

Here in Ontario for instance, capacity limits remain in place, and masks are still mandatory indoors. Places like movie theatres, indoor dining, and gyms only re-opened July 16th!

Vaccine uptake is very high. Even so, case counts are rising, although hospitals and ICU’s are not exploding, and deaths remain relatively low. For now. Daily numbers being published now differentiate between cases that are among the vaccinated, partially vaccinated, and unvaccinated. Wanna guess which group tops the charts?

Several big announcements are expected tomorrow (technically later today), among those being that healthcare workers and those working in long term care facilities will be required to be vaccinated (or tested twice weekly and/or relocated to positions away from patients) and that there will be no further easing of restrictions at this time. Masks and capacity limits will remain in place.

Our numbers:
View attachment 580342
Youth aged 12 to 17 have the lowest vaccination rate of eligible age cohorts in Ontario, with 69 per cent having received one dose and 55 per cent fully vaccinated. There are currently no COVID-19 vaccines approved in Canada for children under 12.
74% is a damn fine number

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
74% is a damn fine number
Indeed. One would expect it to top 80%. I mean if you’re willing to get your first shot, it stands to reason that you’ll probably get your second.

A number of universities are requiring vaccinations to stay in residence. A federal mandate requiring all crown employees to be vaccinated should send those numbers ever higher.

I still have one unvaccinated son (living at home) and neither of my brothers, nor their families are vaccinated. Christmas is going to suck again this year. 😢

Virtual Toad

Cases and quarantine numbers are already rising quickly in Tampa area schools— only one week into the school year with no mask mandates or live remote learning option— forcing an emergency meeting (this is the nation’s 7th largest school district BTW):

“As of 7 a.m., the district said 5,599 students and 316 employees were either in isolation, having tested positive for COVID-19, or in quarantine, which means they had close contact with a positive case.”

DisneyDebRob

Cases and quarantine numbers are already rising quickly in Tampa area schools— only one week into the school year with no mask mandates or live remote learning option— forcing an emergency meeting (this is the nation’s 7th largest school district BTW):

“As of 7 a.m., the district said 5,599 students and 316 employees were either in isolation, having tested positive for COVID-19, or in quarantine, which means they had close contact with a positive case.”

What a wonderfully run state.
With all the bluster going on down in Florida did we really expect anything else?

DisneyDebRob

100%. At that level of booster frequency, it's no longer what people think of as a vaccine.

Even if people followed the regimen, it's going to be logistically difficult to keep vaccinating so many people.

A few days ago I posted that after looking at the data from Israel it appeared that Pfizer either didn't work well against Delta or the protection wore off quickly. Many people jumped all over me. Unfortunately, it seems I was correct.
I just went back and looked and no one jumped all over you. There was a few like myself they said we know the protection wore off at a certain percentage, the studies showed that. We also knew how well all the vaccines worked for the most part against delta, studies all showed that. What you said was already well known. What also is well known is the protection against hospitalization and death which is fantastic. So bring on thee boosters, I’ll be first in line.

Virtual Toad

What a wonderfully run state.
With all the bluster going on down in Florida did we really expect anything else?
Wish I could say otherwise. That’s a lot of students whose learning is already off track this year, even if they don’t end up testing positive. And a lot of families on edge. Living right in the middle of it, I have difficulty expressing with decorum how it feels to have your kids subjected to a statewide science experiment that’s not even being conducted by scientists.

Lilofan

Of COVID-19 or With COVID-19 remember there is a large cash bonus to the hospital if CoD is COVID-19, Up here we had people who died in car accidents with a CoD being COVID-19 on the death certificate. Accuracy in reporting helps it also helps gauge the effectiveness of preventative measures.
CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield did admit in a 2020 House hearing that hospitals have a monetary gain if they inflate covid numbers. That's disturbing. Why would he say that .

DisneyDebRob

Wish I could say otherwise. That’s a lot of students whose learning is already off track this year, even if they don’t end up testing positive. And a lot of families on edge. Living right in the middle of it, I have difficulty expressing with decorum how it feels to have your kids subjected to a statewide science experiment that’s not even being conducted by scientists.
The thing is.. a experiment is something we or others do to see what kind of result may come about. We know what happens here when a pandemic is still running it’s course and you have leaders saying no masks. We know the outcome. We aren’t talking about something really tough to do. We are talking masks. Masks. It’s incredible. Is it the answer? No. But it’s a good start to get the kids back in school.

LaughingGravy

For those of you in the science experiment states especially, don't forget to or remind family members to wash hands well and/or use sanitizer and do best to avoid touching eyes, noses, or faces. Old stuff at this point, but still valid. Hopefully there's not too much peer pressure to not wear masks, even if the mandate itself is stupidly illegal.

There are a lot of weapons in those states as has been promoted and encouraged. Hopefully someone's kid doesn't die from Covid and then they don't care what happens.

Heppenheimer

There's already an issue with people getting the second shot of the two dose vaccines. Adding boosters will be a bigger issue.
We managed it with hepatitis B, though. That's a three shot series delivered over a similar time line to what is now being proposed for COVID-19. And hepatitis B is disease that the average person has a very low chance of catching anyway.

It wouldn't surprise me if the the CDC eventually recommends a boost with a nasal vaccine, since we now know that the intramuscular vaccines don't do a great job protecting the nasal mucosa. I could see this definitely being a recommendation for nursing home residents, health care workers, school children, and others in potentially high transmission situations. But I also don't foresee the nasal vaccines currently under study arriving for approval anytime soon.

Last edited:

LaughingGravy

There's already an issue with people getting the second shot of the two dose vaccines. Adding boosters will be a bigger issue.
What is the issue where you are with getting the second shots? People who voluntarily did not go back for the second, or a lack of availability?

Last edited:

LaughingGravy

CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield did admit in a 2020 House hearing that hospitals have a monetary gain if they inflate covid numbers. That's disturbing. Why would he say that .
As disturbing as it is, at least it was brought out one way or the other.
The problem is that becomes the default excuse that the Covid number is false and that's what's latched onto, even if not the case.
We know enough people this has really affected. It's scary and real.

Virtual Toad

The thing is.. a experiment is something we or others do to see what kind of result may come about. We know what happens here when a pandemic is still running it’s course and you have leaders saying no masks. We know the outcome. We aren’t talking about something really tough to do. We are talking masks. Masks. It’s incredible. Is it the answer? No. But it’s a good start to get the kids back in school.
Brilliant, right? And yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom