Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Some of those cowards are being outed already. And no surprise, one of the main ones is a notorious political actor with no kids at a meeting to mask kids....

They also hopefully will face charges:

Can you imagine being on the same side as these nuts?!
Absolute POS.

One correction, though, the person they are seen harassing is not a doctor (nor did he claim to be). He was first and foremost a parent, but does work in health care. I'm not sure if any of the doctors and nurses who attended the meeting were actually threatened the way this poor guy was.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They have it in their head that they are fighting for this country and trying to rid of the bad. We have people doxxing others trying to get them fired all because they can’t let go of how evil they view others.
This behavior isn't a COVID specific issue. And It doesn't surprise me because I have seen it occurring for years already. Really took hold when social media took over. Or maybe it was always there and we just never noticed because social media didn't exist? Sad...but now new behavior

correcaminos

Some of those cowards are being outed already. And no surprise, one of the main ones is a notorious political actor with no kids at a meeting to mask kids....

They also hopefully will face charges:

Can you imagine being on the same side as these nuts?!
Good! They deserve it. These people are insane and a bunch of hypocrites claiming to be Christian. Makes me sick.

I know. It's just so hard to believe someone could be that angry...
No kidding. But it is real. Just sad that so many are so angry.

Willmark

Was thinking about this great man today and a childhood hero of mine, still is.

His words still carry weight, and why I’m reminded to be skeptical of everything. Years in emergency services also taught me there are two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle. Especially in these days of Covid his words are true, more so than ever:

1. Wherever possible there must be independent confirmation of the “facts.”

2. Encourage substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents of all points of view.

3. Arguments from authority carry little weight — “authorities” have made mistakes in the past. They will do so again in the future. Perhaps a better way to say it is that in science there are no authorities; at most, there are experts.

4. Spin more than one hypothesis. If there’s something to be explained, think of all the different ways in which it could be explained. Then think of tests by which you might systematically disprove each of the alternatives. What survives, the hypothesis that resists disproof in this Darwinian selection among “multiple working hypotheses,” has a much better chance of being the right answer than if you had simply run with the first idea that caught your fancy.

5. Try not to get overly attached to a hypothesis just because it’s yours. It’s only a way station in the pursuit of knowledge. Ask yourself why you like the idea. Compare it fairly with the alternatives. See if you can find reasons for rejecting it. If you don’t, others will.

6. Quantify. If whatever it is you’re explaining has some measure, some numerical quantity attached to it, you’ll be much better able to discriminate among competing hypotheses. What is vague and qualitative is open to many explanations. Of course there are truths to be sought in the many qualitative issues we are obliged to confront, but finding them is more challenging.

7. If there’s a chain of argument, every link in the chain must work (including the premise) — not just most of them.

8. Occam’s Razor. This convenient rule-of-thumb urges us when faced with two hypotheses that explain the data equally well to choose the simpler.

9. Always ask whether the hypothesis can be, at least in principle, falsified. Propositions that are untestable, unfalsifiable are not worth much. Consider the grand idea that our Universe and everything in it is just an elementary particle — an electron, say — in a much bigger Cosmos. But if we can never acquire information from outside our Universe, is not the idea incapable of disproof? You must be able to check assertions out. Inveterate skeptics must be given the chance to follow your reasoning, to duplicate your experiments and see if they get the same result.

Carl Sagan

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Going with the latter. I have white friends who claim racism only got worse because of Obama becoming president for example. I say to them, the racism existed, social media shows it more. We've always had nut jobs, they can just more easily rally together half anonymously through social media.
I agree. And to me, social media has framed these individuals to be the majority. I don't want to get into a debate that could turn nasty (not between you and me) but I think you probably know where I stand about whether people who behave like this are the majority. No one is perfect, and differing views will make people emotional (happens to me)..but geez, some people...

NickMaio

Yeah we need a vaccine passport system as most will get the vaccine by end of the year. Perfect plan!:D
You are living in a dream world,
The current problem stems from people NOT getting the vaccine in two doses.
Look at the vaccine numbers, plateau much.

DisneyDebRob

This isn't about whether you have enough restaurants. It's about what the ones who had to close lost in the equation.

Too bad, so sad, huh?
I’m a small business owner so please stop with trying to frame me with the “oh well” feel. I know exactly what they have been through. I’ve seen close friends lose their business. I’ve seen people that I met through our local monthly meetings of small businesses, what they went through.. some surviving some not. We helped each other as much as we could and tried our best to make it. So stop with the I don’t care routine. It’s not going to work.
I know exactly 2 people that went under.. that has said they will give it another go in a year or so somewhere else. They are down but not out. And we fellow owners will continue to help where we can.

correcaminos

I agree. And to me, social media has framed these individuals to be the majority. I don't want to get into a debate that could turn nasty (not between you and me) but I think you probably know where I stand about whether people who behave like this are the majority. No one is perfect, and differing views will make people emotional (happens to me)..but geez, some people...
We had people at our board of education meeting booing medical advisors. They are not the majority, but they are just most vocal. They're just louder - and to be honest quite rude! I do get being emotional, but insulting, berating, and threatening others is not cool. I hope legally they cna be dealt with.

willtravel

With saying that Moderna is better against Delta variant than Pfizer, I wonder will Pfizer do a formula change very soon. Of course there is going to another variant after that and after that....

Last edited:

mmascari

Sitting here for my son 7th grade orientation, and there are easily over a thousand parents and kids packed into this multipurpose room 🤣🤣. No mask requirement. Pretty sure I saw more people wearing a mask at Universal studios Orlando. 🤷
Can you see the COVID floating in the room?

Last week on vacation (not in FL), at one spot my wife commented that we needed to be quick and move on. That the place felt COVIDity. Between the inside, people, and lack of ventilation. It was a depressing store too.

Rest of the trip went well, we did stuff that was COVID friendly, and skipped some originally planned activities that felt OK at Blue/Yellow but less so at Orange/Red.

Disney Experience

Seriously. If someone yelled "traitor" at me, I would pull out my military ID and ask them how many combat tours they've done in the defense of this country. I guarantee I've done more.
When I was in boot camp age 17 one of the first of the volunteer army (vs draft era ) ( a few years after Vietnam war ended ) I was walking down the hall in sick call ( I was later diagnosed with walking pneumonia and shipped to hospital) . Going the other way was an officer. He had medals all the way to his shoulder and even fully on his right side, not just left. He was US Navy ( I seen foreign officers with lots of medals but that is not the same).

I was blown away, and asked another sailor, “ who was that officer?” I was told he was a Navy seal doctor with many, many tours under his belt. To this day I have never seen anyone in the US military as decorated as he was.

BTW, any special forces people I have ever had the honor to work with , whether active or retired are both the nicest people to work with, and always made sure the job got done.

Last edited:

drizgirl

I’m a small business owner so please stop with trying to frame me with the “oh well” feel. I know exactly what they have been through. I’ve seen close friends lose their business. I’ve seen people that I met through our local monthly meetings of small businesses, what they went through.. some surviving some not. We helped each other as much as we could and tried our best to make it. So stop with the I don’t care routine. It’s not going to work.
I know exactly 2 people that went under.. that has said they will give it another go in a year or so somewhere else. They are down but not out. And we fellow owners will continue to help where we can.
I'm happy you made it. I'm happy for everyone who made it. But your small sampling is not representative of everyone.

bryanfze55

is the pandemic will ending for USA by end of the year or early 2022, as the pandemic will continue for the rest of the world for next several years?
COVID-19 is always going to be with us. It’s way too transmissible of a virus for “zero COVID” to be a realistic goal. I think smallpox is the only virus that has been totally eradicated. People will have to make their peace with that.

Nubs70

For small business owners with life savings and financial future at risk, how did it feel when the government declared your business "Not Essential"?

KrzyKtty

Can you see the COVID floating in the room?

Last week on vacation (not in FL), at one spot my wife commented that we needed to be quick and move on. That the place felt COVIDity. Between the inside, people, and lack of ventilation. It was a depressing store too.

Rest of the trip went well, we did stuff that was COVID friendly, and skipped some originally planned activities that felt OK at Blue/Yellow but less so at Orange/Red.
It felt like that to a certain extent. We didn't go into the multi-purpose room for the orientation briefing until they opened it up to the cafeteria as well. Learned that his middle school is going to have over 1500 kids there, and it seemed at least half of them were there today with their parents. 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom