Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

My work knows that I go to Florida every year for Halloween stuff as does the rest of my family/friends. Sure I could lie and just not get tested coming back from one of the most infected areas in the world, but I try to not be a dick.
So you will be double masked for Halloween! Your costume mask with your disposable mask on top of it.

mmascari

Or would could solve it by pulling over the sober drivers. Sounds familiar, can’t quite place it…
We pull over sober drivers all the time. Not even counting sobriety check points, just in general.

Car driving down the road, swerves in the lane.
- Maybe it's a drunk driver.
- Maybe it's someone on a cell phone.
- Maybe a bug flew in the car and distracted the driver.
- Maybe a passenger told a really good joke.
- Maybe there was debris on the road the driver saw.
- Maybe an animal on the side of the road looked like it was jumping out.

All of them could get pulled over to check if they're drunk. Some large number of drivers pulled over to check for drunk driving are not drunk.

mmascari

Truthfully I agree with this partially but maybe not to the extend that others meant it. As I believe someone else mentioned, even if we have high vaccination rates in the US, we really need this to eventually occur worldwide. Which is why I believe the virus will be around for the foreseeable future. Now, holding this opinion doesn't mean I think we should do nothing. Making that connection would be an inaccurate assumption. And there are obvious things we can do in order to better manage and prevent outbreaks...like the freakin vaccine.
Many people making that statement are using it to directly say there isn't a point to doing anything.

It's an crazy jump in logic to decide that a problem is to big to solve EVERYWHERE so there's not sense solving it ANYWHERE, but that's exactly what many people are saying when they say "it will never go away".

mmascari

Or people just don't want to get the vaccine and they are under no obligation to do so.
If you are so worried about your child in school, tell them to mask up. There have been schools open all across the county, during peak times in other areas and those kids managed just fine. If you are still worried then take some responsibility for your own child and homeschool them. Otherwise suck it up and deal with people not getting vaccinated. Do what you need to do to protect yourself and yours. Stop relying on others to do things for you.
It's a choice. But, as the number of unvaccinated becomes a smaller percent of people, they should stop relying on others to put up with them spreading disease. That's looking out for yourself.

Using this grid, the biggest risk to a healthy person is a carrier. An unvaccinated person is tremendously more likely to be a carrier. They're also more likely to spread a larger virus load while doing it.

Hence, the simple answer is to deny the unvaccinated access to the same space as myself. The numbers have turned, this is the position with more people now. The majority vaccinated don't need to put up with spreaders. Six months ago, it was the reverse with a majority unvaccinated.

Someone wants to be unvaccinated now, that's their choice. They can stop relying on others to put up with them and hide in their basements safe from the scary vaccine.

While masks may provide some protection from catching COVID, they primarily prevent those who already have the virus from spreading it. Sending a healthy child to school with a mask is near meaningless if one child who has COVID is in the classroom unmasked.

m3EOhFG.png

Heppenheimer

"But always will our whole Nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.
No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.
"

FDR, December 8, 1941

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.”

JFK, September 12, 1962

"I can hear you! I can hear you! The rest of the world hears you!”... “the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!

GWB, September 14, 2001

"This is all too hard, why even try?"

America, August 2021

Casper Gutman

"But always will our whole Nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.
No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.
"

FDR, December 8, 1941

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.”

JFK, September 12, 1962

"I can hear you! I can hear you! The rest of the world hears you!”... “the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!

GWB, September 14, 2001

"This is all too hard, why even try?"

America, August 2021
It's even a little worse then this. A lot of it is,

"I hate those people. Why should I believe them or do what they say."

America, August 2021

GimpYancIent

This is a political argument that's been allowed to stand, so I hope a politically relevant response will as well:

A new Fox Poll came out today: Among Biden voters, 86% are vaccinated and 3% don't plan to get vaccinated. Among Trump voters, 54% are vaccinated and 32% don't plan to get vaccinated.

This lines up with a variety of other polls and research we've seen. So yeah, we know about the politics of vaccination.

To respond to an earlier point: vaccine mandates will push some to forge proof of vaccination. Of course. But most of the vaccine refusers will not spend the time and money to get the card. They'll get vaxxed. The system can stand some refusal and dishonesty, just not on the scale we have now.

And a few high profile cases with big juicy fines and jail sentences for those who use and make fake proof will improve those numbers even more.
I stopped paying attention to polls a long time ago regardless of who conducted it. That said, there are quite a few people that are petrified of getting injections (any injection). I have personally seen 250 pound ripped men cry and even faint at the mere sight of a syringe. There are many reasons people are hesitant to get vaccinated then many of the tactics undertaken by some of the pro-vaccination crowd are abrasive reinforcing the reasoning for apprehension. I am glad that the people producing and selling fake vaccination proof are being arrested the penalty can be a fine and up to 5 yrs in the slammer. Let's see how many prosecutors and judges have spines by making some examples of these low life's. I really would like to find out how many of these forgers are vaccinated and are taking advantage of the unvaccinated?

Patcheslee

Not sure why you would volunteer to work that you went to Florida. We always keep our out of house plans on the QT except for those who need to know, like someone watching the house, getting the mail, etc.
I only let my immediate boss know when I'm out of town on vacation days. Mainly because some of my days are just sitting at home relaxing so I don't mind the occasional phone call if an emergency comes up. And if I'm out of state and flight gets canceled coming home, they're a bit more lenient on the attendance policy.

Lilofan

We pull over sober drivers all the time. Not even counting sobriety check points, just in general.

Car driving down the road, swerves in the lane.
- Maybe it's a drunk driver.
- Maybe it's someone on a cell phone.
- Maybe a bug flew in the car and distracted the driver.
- Maybe a passenger told a really good joke.
- Maybe there was debris on the road the driver saw.
- Maybe an animal on the side of the road looked like it was jumping out.

All of them could get pulled over to check if they're drunk. Some large number of drivers pulled over to check for drunk driving are not drunk.
Radar detectors are illegal in VA. Cops pull you over and get a big fine.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Take a look at that plummeting R0… I have to say I called that one. Just a reminder the CDC used a model with an R0 as high as 5!!!! #NotEvenClose
Yep…nailed that one, Dr. Atlas…

now if the spit/snot would just stopping having a mind of its own and letting covid party there…we be good 👍🏻

GoofGoof

Premium Member

kids who aren’t eligible for the vaccine cannot play sports because people who are eligible won’t get a shot. It’s about time more is done to limit the unvaccinated from moving about spreading the virus. We can‘t force them to get vaccinated but we can stop them from interacting with others in public. More employer mandates, more vaccine requirements for large crowd venues.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
kids who aren’t eligible for the vaccine cannot play sports because people who are eligible won’t get a shot. It’s about time more is done to limit the unvaccinated from moving about spreading the virus. We can‘t force them to get vaccinated but we can stop them from interacting with others in public. More employer mandates, more vaccine requirements for large crowd venues.
Im with you…

Ok…how do we do it?

Disney Experience

Here's an interesting basic science update that I learned at a conference call today. And it might help clarify some of the more confusing points of conversation on this board.

The difference between a mild and severe COVID illness often comes down to the location of the virus. The port of entry for infection is almost always the upper airway, mainly the nasal passages and sinuses. If the infection stays here, the symptoms are usually mild. However, if the virus replicates in sufficient numbers, it can then spread to the lungs, which triggers far more severe illness.

The mechanism of the vaccines largely explains why vaccinated individuals can still have a mild illness, but rarely experience a severe case. The vaccines indirectly trigger production of a specific class of antibody, IgG. IgG can easily penetrate the blood-lung barrier, and hence line the alveoli as a sort of protective layer, but it penetrates through the nasal mucosa much less readily. Vaccinated individuals can still potentially stop the infection in the nasal mucosa, but the defenses are much less densely distributed than in the lungs.

So, this largely explains the mild breakthrough infections and why they much more rarely progress to severe disease compared to unvaccinated individuals. The vaccines were really designed to stop the virus in the lungs, not necessarily in the nose. That they still do prevent symptomatic, mild infections in most individuals was just an added bonus.

Bottom line- get the vaccine.
Funny thing in my vaccinated moderate case I had no nasal congestion ever.( obviously there was virus in nasal cavities since swabs were positive) . Instead it started in my throat ( perhaps initial particles were mouth breathed in, ( singing in church) and quickly progressed to lungs. June no one was wearing masks.

Four days later in ER the diagnosis was covid with bronchitis. Never had any nasal issues nor loss of taste/smell. But had every other symptom ( no headache either) .

I would have thought though I would have had nasal symptoms at some point as the virus spread. But there are aspects of biology I am still ignorant of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom