Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly my point.

I think your in to something. Perhaps the better way to look at this is age range and the % of people vaccinated rather than the overall number as it doesn’t effect every age range the same, no?

To me, economic is probably the best indicator of likelihood to vaccinate, could be wrong.
In the polling that was done education (which generally lines up with income level) was a large factor. If you look at the other demographics that may actually explain a big part. Rural < Urban on vaccinations. Urban/suburban = higher income/education. Lower income urban areas in major cities lag their suburban and more affluent suburban areas. When we look at politics Republicans lag in vaccination vs dem and ind but if you dig deeper it’s the rural, more evangelical areas that are highly Republican and lower vaccination. That’s not to say some people aren’t acting purely on politics, but anecdotally I know a lot of well off, suburban Republicans who voted for Trump (both times) and are still vaccinated so it’s not just purely politics at work. These are all just generalizations based on polling so take it for what it is.

One issue could be that people who are generally less educated may be less likely to listen to, relate to or trust a bunch of PHDs and experts like Fauci who are the ones being used to talk about the vaccines. There needs to be a shift in the PR campaign but I don’t know how to propose they do that since I am not in the group we need to reach.

Willmark

In the polling that was done education (which generally lines up with income level) was a large factor. If you look at the other demographics that may actually explain a big part. Rural < Urban on vaccinations. Urban/suburban = higher income/education. Lower income urban areas in major cities lag their suburban and more affluent suburban areas. When we look at politics Republicans lag in vaccination vs dem and ind but if you dig deeper it’s the rural, more evangelical areas that are highly Republican and lower vaccination. That’s not to say some people aren’t acting purely on politics, but anecdotally I know a lot of well off, suburban Republicans who voted for Trump (both times) and are still vaccinated so it’s not just purely politics at work. These are all just generalizations based on polling so take it for what it is.

One issue could be that people who are generally less educated may be less likely to listen to, relate to or trust a bunch of PHDs and experts like Fauci who are the ones being used to talk about the vaccines. There needs to be a shift in the PR campaign but I don’t know how to propose they do that since I am not in the group we need to reach.
You mean the unvaccinated aren’t some monolithic group? :)

EDIT: BTW good post.

dreday3

Because I know some people were concerned - Chicago's top doc - Dr. Arwady - just gave update two weeks after Lollapalooza.

A three day event with over 100,000 people attending each day - there have been a total of 200 cases tied back to the event with no hospitalizations or deaths. Roughly 88% of attendees were vaccinated.
She declared there is no evidence it was a super-spreader event.

Also, while Chicago is having a surge - it's not anywhere near previous surges. Hospitalizations increasing, but not alarmingly. She doesn't foresee it happening (here).

Wendy Pleakley

At the end of the day getting people vaccinated has been the goal of federal governments across two different administrations. That's all people really need to understand.

Get vaccinated. It's not partisan. It's not political.

This could be over. People are still griping over who's being "too negative". If everyone got vaccinated this wouldn't even be a discussion point. Get vaccinated. End this. Then there will be no cause for continued griping. It's so simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

sullyinMT

Because I know some people were concerned - Chicago's top doc - Dr. Arwady - just gave update two weeks after Lollapalooza.

A three day event with over 100,000 people attending each day - there have been a total of 200 cases tied back to the event with no hospitalizations or deaths. Roughly 88% of attendees were vaccinated.

Also, while Chicago is having a surge - it's not anywhere near previous surges. Hospitalizations increasing, but not alarmingly. She doesn't foresee it happening (here).
May it hold. Glad for the early good news.

kong1802

I knew we should have moved to Chi-town! Could be visiting the MSI with low Covid numbers right now.

But I'd regret it in February, lol.

Timmay

Same kind of thing with the Bucks championship run. About 200,000 over a few days in the Deer District, all pressed together. 419 cases. Although no numbers on the vaccinated.

mmascari

It’s pretty simple for someone who wants to do it to dig out county-level vaccine data and see where the lowest rates lie.

1628781543499.png

There's to much "No Data" on the picture. But, it definitely matches where the hot spots started and moved out from.

sullyinMT

View attachment 579279

There's to much "No Data" on the picture. But, it definitely matches where the hot spots started and moved out from.
Doesn’t look great for the armchair epidemiologist. While that map shows plenty of gray, I’m sure the relevant “boots on the ground” in those areas have an idea of how they’re doing on the vaccine front.

Lilofan

Doesn’t look great for the armchair epidemiologist. While that map shows plenty of gray, I’m sure the relevant “boots on the ground” in those areas have an idea of how they’re doing on the vaccine front.
What the heck is going on in Georgia? Less than 30% vaccinated?

Touchdown

Remember for delta you need full vaccination.
A9EA9032-A1D6-4388-81DD-AFED5F679887.jpeg
E19AB32D-B61B-41EB-AF4B-5B904128A197.png

24 counties at >70%, 488 >50%. You don’t have much protection below that, and 50-70 is arguable. It’s truly pathetic.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Delta is not close to Measles rate. Measles is 2.5 times more contagious. Also the CDC mislead stating that its as contagious as chickenpox. Delta is bad. Hopefully in the next few weeks we start seeing a drop....
"When NPR raised the CDC document's inaccuracy that made the Delta variant seem more fearsome, a federal official admitted "the leaked document underestimated the R0 for chickenpox and overestimated the R0 for the delta variant."

Well, that's great, then.

All the more easier to eradicate COVID if everyone were to get vaccinated.

Rescue Ranger

Since covid, can you still go to restaurants like 50's Primetime that have bars and just do a walk-in for a shake to sit at the bar?

wutisgood

I made a flight with no change fees and cancellable hotel for September in Orlando. I am not worried too much about getting sick as I am prob going solo, am vaccinated, and planning on wearing a mask everywhere. I just think it would be a bad look among work and family to go to a place with that much spread currently. And I really don't know how work would handle willingly going to Florida if I did end up testing positive.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think that is right. Looks like 39.4% vaccinated fully and 48.1% with at least one dose. And those are total population numbers.
For some reason Georgia and West Virginia are under reported on the CDC trackers. We came across this earlier when posters from those states would consistently say the state numbers were much higher than the CDC numbers and since Bloomberg and other 3rd party sources use the CDC numbers there Is a lot of confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom