• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

mellyf

I am in the same boat. We are fully vaccinated and have been largely “back to normal” since March. Now we are in a very high transmission area and we have stopped eating out, socializing indoors or allowing our kids to go to any indoor activities. We are also masking again. My husband has to get on planes for his work so we are trying to limit everything else. Would it probably be fine? Sure. Is it worth the risk? Not to me :)
Yes, when it comes down to it, that's exactly how I feel.

Touchdown

The report that the State of FL puts out tracks vaccinated residents only. The CDC seems to track based on where the dose was administered. The official report shows 11,757,156 residents with at least one shot, 10,046,576 series complete and 61% of eligible residents (12+) with at least one shot. The CDC shows 12,449,521 with at least one shot, 10,518,519 fully vaccinated and 66.5% of eligible (12+) fully vaccinated.

The official report doesn't count the last two days. The CDC numbers are higher than reality but not nearly to the level that you suggest. Those other states are much more rural than FL and none have multiple densely populated major metropolitan areas (maybe St. Louis and Kansas City but not to the extent that FL has these types of areas).
There is something causing Florida to outpace every state in the Union, that’s the only thing I can think of. We are missing something, and it’s not rural city breakdown, Texas is not having nearly as many issues as FL.

GimpYancIent

Wasn't there mention (several months back) of vaccination vacations? Where tourists could book Disney vacations to get vaccinated upon arrival then enjoy a Disney vacation.

HeartOfTeFiti

WDW isn’t a locals park. Without out of state guests they can’t stay open. As I said to @LittleBuford its a valid opinion to think WDW shouldn’t have re-opened but it would have a devastating impact on the local economy and I’m not sure it would make a huge difference in virus spread.
Okay, Thanks for the answer. That was my question. Is travel spreading the virus? If it's not than I'll put up my white flag and urge everyone to have a great trip!

GimpYancIent

Whether WDW, DL or any other entertainment venues, tourist destinations or sports venues are closed down / unavailable "TRAVEL" due to commerce and (legal or illegal) migrations will occur anyway. People move around globally, the genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back in. Humans will need to adapt.

DisneyCane

There is something causing Florida to outpace every state in the Union, that’s the only thing I can think of. We are missing something, and it’s not rural city breakdown, Texas is not having nearly as many issues as FL.
Yet... Take a look at the seven day rolling avg graph for TX.

HeartOfTeFiti

Whether WDW, DL or any other entertainment venues, tourist destinations or sports venues are closed down / unavailable "TRAVEL" due to commerce and (legal or illegal) migrations will occur anyway. People move around globally, the genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back in. Humans will need to adapt.
Does it have to be all or nothing?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Okay, Thanks for the answer. That was my question. Is travel spreading the virus? If it's not than I'll put up my white flag and urge everyone to have a great trip!
Travel in general is spreading the virus. If everyone just stays home then the virus has less places to spread. However, lots of people rely on travel and leisure for their livelihood too. So if we all stayed home, didn’t travel or eat in a restaurant or go to the movies or go to any place where we would interact with the public we would slow the spread some but it would come at a large economic cost. We would also need people to agree to not get together in private homes as well. Basically stay at home without the official order.

GimpYancIent

Travel in general is spreading the virus. If everyone just stays home then the virus has less places to spread. However, lots of people rely on travel and leisure for their livelihood too. So if we all stayed home, didn’t travel or eat in a restaurant or go to the movies or go to any place where we would interact with the public we would slow the spread some but it would come at a large economic cost. We would also need people to agree to not get together in private homes as well. Basically stay at home without the official order.
So there its is! People agreeing. That is not happening and I don't see it happening any time soon.

Touchdown

Yet... Take a look at the seven day rolling avg graph for TX.
I have, here’s the curves starting when FL surge started.
92B169B6-EB6D-4D6C-8004-36FC5F741D28.jpeg
51CD7721-D5C7-433F-A5FD-F422FBADDCA6.jpeg

Texas is only 1 week behind Florida and has a larger population. When you adjust for population, Texas numbers are more similar to where FL was 2 (nearly 3) weeks ago.

Side note: 0.5% of the Florida Population Got diagnosed with Covid, YESTERDAY!

Last edited:

hopemax

Twitter link to the CDC's link to "New Hospitalizations by Age"

So looking at Florida now vs winter peak. Per 100,000 population

0-17 .72 .59 +22%
17-29 2.88 1.28 +125%
30-39 5.73 2.42 +137%
40-49 7.73 3.36 +130%
50-59 8.96 5.38 +65%
60-69 8.86 7.91 +12%
70+ 11.17 16.85 -34% (edit, I forget to subtract from 100, in case someone saw the higher number)

So while this is still predominantly an aged based event... Older you are, more likely to end up in a hospitalization... You can definitely see the difference (now vs then) for those aged 17-49 than those 50+ who are more likely to have been vaccinated. For those 30-39, it used to be that 70+ were hospitalized at a rate of 7:1, now it's only 2:1.

Last edited:

hopemax

Looking at the same hospital data, Texas' winter wave looks like it affected many more people than Florida's. Texas may be seeing the benefit of more people having natural immunity.

Winter peak hospitalizations per 100,000 Texas vs Florida

70+ 28.77 16.85
60-69 13.65 7.91
50-59 8.41 5.38

and so on

HeartOfTeFiti

I'm really not trying to argue with you simply for the sake of arguing. You make frequent excellent points.
However, I think that the impact to the economy from people not doing certain things is less cut and dry than saying that if you aren't vacationing, eating out, going to bars, going to the movie theater, then you are withholding your money from the good people trying to earn a living in the service and hospitality industries. We have cancelled 5 trips since this all started, 3 of them would have been to Disney. I didn't just stick that money in the bank. We put in an inground pool, we had a pool house built, we re-landscaped our entire yard. We're not do it yourselfers, so we paid people to do these things. We're still doing our part to help the economy, just in different ways, and without swapping germs up and down the entire East Coast. We also rented a house for a week with a private beach in a quiet area. We don't go out to eat right now, but we do get meals delivered or do curb side pick up. We tip the drivers. We tip the restaurant staff. We don't go out for drinks, but we get alcohol delivered. Again, we tip the driver. No we haven't gone to the movies but we still stream paid content at home.
As far as gatherings at home, yes, it's been documented that people spread covid this way. But it can be done responsibly. Other than a few furniture deliveries and an issue needing a plumber, no one that I don't know well enough to believe they are vaccinated has entered our home. But we have had small indoor gatherings with people we trust, people who are like minded about covid precautions. We've had some nice outdoor gatherings as well and everyone is managing just fine with fewer hugs and handshakes.
It's about making adjustments, and in general I just feel like some people aren't doing enough. You can help the economy without being in a crowd and you can have a good time while choosing a somewhat less risky option.
The all or nothing attitude really bothers me.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom