Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chomama

We were going to go see BW today, but the theater that we were going to go to is in a "substantial transmission" county, and I told my husband I just wasn't sure if I wanted to sit for 2 hours in a theater, even with our masks on (and we're both vaccinated). I don't know...it probably would have been fine. Right?
I am in the same boat. We are fully vaccinated and have been largely “back to normal” since March. Now we are in a very high transmission area and we have stopped eating out, socializing indoors or allowing our kids to go to any indoor activities. We are also masking again. My husband has to get on planes for his work so we are trying to limit everything else. Would it probably be fine? Sure. Is it worth the risk? Not to me :)

LittleBuford

Mixing with crowds applies to any vacation spot though.
I don't agree. There are plenty of secluded, uncrowded places one can visit.

So far the CDC hasn’t recommended people stop traveling.
The CDC's guidance for those travelling domestically is as follows: "Avoid crowds and stay at least 6 feet/2 meters (about 2 arm lengths) from anyone who is not traveling with you." This is impossible to do at WDW.

A lot of posters here seem to be under the misconception that it's possible to visit WDW and follow CDC guidelines. It simply isn't.

Touchdown

The CDC's guidance for those travelling domestically is as follows: "Avoid crowds and stay at least 6 feet/2 meters (about 2 arm lengths) from anyone who is not traveling with you." This is impossible to do at WDW.

A lot of posters here seem to be under the misconception that it's possible to visit WDW and follow CDC guidelines. It simply isn't.
Vaccinated people can. That’s recommendations for unvaccinated.

HeartOfTeFiti

One thing Disney has going for it is the majority of people visiting WDW are not from FL. Some of the states that draw large number of guests to WDW are amongst the most vaccinated and also the lowest case numbers right now. WDW also tends to skew towards the wealthier demographic that tends to be more vaccinated as well. Adding to that WDW hasn’t started selling annual passes again so there are probably less locals there then at some points in the past (people can still renew APs but cannot buy new ones). With the return to indoor masking at WDW exclusively many of the locals (or out of state visitors) who are opposed to masks and also more likely to be unvaccinated will choose to go to Universal or Sea World instead to avoid masks. On the flip side WDW CMs are still majority local except for the college program kids who had to be vaccinated to stay in dorms with roommates. Based on all of this WDW May not be the biggest problem out there. A bar or club in a FL beach town that is packed with locals mostly under 30 (which is the least vaccinated demographic) is far more of a problem than WDW right now. Everything is relative to what you compare it to.
Fair enough, but I still wish that people would stay closer to home for the time being when it comes to nonessential travel. Can't people find a way to enjoy their summer without going hundreds of miles away? I'd rather that Disney World was full of locals for the time being. Wouldn't this be easier to deal with if everyone wasn't mingling so much, or am I missing something?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

So you thought the parks should have never been open. That’s a valid opinion but the current situation has no bearing on that.

LittleBuford

Vaccinated people can. That’s recommendations for unvaccinated.

Fair enough. I missed that.

Note, however, that vaccinated people are also asked to follow distancing guidelines when around strangers: "Put 6 feet of distance between yourself and people who don’t live in your household."

Again, it's simply not possible to visit WDW within the CDC's guidelines.

DisneyCane

Not only that, it makes no sense given Florida’s reported vaccinated/non vaccinated ratio of hospital admissions and cases vs shots in arms. It’s doing worse then AL, MO, LA, and the rest of the Southeast despite similar climates. There has to be incorrect data, it makes no congnitive sense.

I think a lot of snowbirds who claim other states as their main residence, but lied and said it was FL when they got vaxxed, and travelers from other countries falsely propped up Florida’s vaccine rate. It’s got to be 10-20% lower then what’s reported. Again, it doesn’t make sense.
The report that the State of FL puts out tracks vaccinated residents only. The CDC seems to track based on where the dose was administered. The official report shows 11,757,156 residents with at least one shot, 10,046,576 series complete and 61% of eligible residents (12+) with at least one shot. The CDC shows 12,449,521 with at least one shot, 10,518,519 fully vaccinated and 66.5% of eligible (12+) fully vaccinated.

The official report doesn't count the last two days. The CDC numbers are higher than reality but not nearly to the level that you suggest. Those other states are much more rural than FL and none have multiple densely populated major metropolitan areas (maybe St. Louis and Kansas City but not to the extent that FL has these types of areas).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fair enough, but I still wish that people would stay closer to home for the time being when it comes to nonessential travel. Can't people find a way to enjoy their summer without going hundreds of miles away? I'd rather that Disney World was full of locals for the time being. Wouldn't this be easier to deal with if everyone wasn't mingling so much, or am I missing something?
WDW isn’t a locals park. Without out of state guests they can’t stay open. As I said to @LittleBuford its a valid opinion to think WDW shouldn’t have re-opened but it would have a devastating impact on the local economy and I’m not sure it would make a huge difference in virus spread.

ImperfectPixie

WDW isn’t a locals park. Without out of state guests they can’t stay open. As I said to @LittleBuford its a valid opinion to think WDW shouldn’t have re-opened but it would have a devastating impact on the local economy and I’m not sure it would make a huge difference in virus spread.
I still think Disney and the cruise lines should have gotten together and fought DeSantis. Requiring vaccination proof at WDW would have made a huge difference, IMO.

mellyf

I am in the same boat. We are fully vaccinated and have been largely “back to normal” since March. Now we are in a very high transmission area and we have stopped eating out, socializing indoors or allowing our kids to go to any indoor activities. We are also masking again. My husband has to get on planes for his work so we are trying to limit everything else. Would it probably be fine? Sure. Is it worth the risk? Not to me :)
Yes, when it comes down to it, that's exactly how I feel.

Touchdown

The report that the State of FL puts out tracks vaccinated residents only. The CDC seems to track based on where the dose was administered. The official report shows 11,757,156 residents with at least one shot, 10,046,576 series complete and 61% of eligible residents (12+) with at least one shot. The CDC shows 12,449,521 with at least one shot, 10,518,519 fully vaccinated and 66.5% of eligible (12+) fully vaccinated.

The official report doesn't count the last two days. The CDC numbers are higher than reality but not nearly to the level that you suggest. Those other states are much more rural than FL and none have multiple densely populated major metropolitan areas (maybe St. Louis and Kansas City but not to the extent that FL has these types of areas).
There is something causing Florida to outpace every state in the Union, that’s the only thing I can think of. We are missing something, and it’s not rural city breakdown, Texas is not having nearly as many issues as FL.

GimpYancIent

Wasn't there mention (several months back) of vaccination vacations? Where tourists could book Disney vacations to get vaccinated upon arrival then enjoy a Disney vacation.

HeartOfTeFiti

Okay, Thanks for the answer. That was my question. Is travel spreading the virus? If it's not than I'll put up my white flag and urge everyone to have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom