Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Glimpses

Again, you yourself don’t have to be anti-vax to spread their lies.
What lie have I told? Serious disease from COVID-19 in a healthy 20 or 30 year old is really rare. But not nearly as rare as a bad outcome from a COVID vaccine.

If you are referencing my opinions from a couple months ago; those opinions were purely based on the notion in this thread that vaccinating healthy 5 year olds is imperative to their well being - of which I will abstain from discussing further.

correcaminos

What lie have I told? Serious disease from COVID-19 in a healthy 20 or 30 year old is really rare. But not nearly as rare as a bad outcome from a COVID vaccine.
Ah, but do you know that to be true? I don't do math well, but I think that could be a stretch. Might be equal for all I know. Might be slightly true... we need actual numbers to prove that.

Disney Glimpses

Ah, but do you know that to be true? I don't do math well, but I think that could be a stretch. Might be equal for all I know. Might be slightly true... we need actual numbers to prove that.
With the data we have, yes, healthy 20 or 30 year olds are far more likely to have a serious case of COVID-19 than a serious reaction from the COVID vaccine.

lazyboy97o

What lie have I told? Serious disease from COVID-19 to a healthy 20 or 30 year old is rare. But not nearly as rare as a bad outcome from a COVID vaccine.
Would you tell parents not to get their kids the polio vaccine? Vaccination is not just about the individual. It is part of a larger public health goal to severely reduce and even eliminate diseases (a feat that has been accomplished).

You are falsely equating the risks between the disease and the vaccine. That you squirm and acknowledge the difference doesn’t change the overarching rationalization.

You are also reducing negative outcomes to hospitalizations and death.

correcaminos

With the data we have, yes, healthy 20 or 30 year olds are far more likely to have a serious case of COVID-19 than a serious reaction from the COVID vaccine.
Sorry I misread. I thought you said the other way around. Dyslexic me stirkes again. I'll crawl in a hole. End result, get your vaccines

Disney Glimpses

You say and then undermine it by repeating an anti-vaccine rationalization.
I don't feel the need to lie to people to get vaccinated. You cannot honestly say with a straight face that it is absolutely imperative (in terms of their personal health) for a healthy 20 year old to get vaccinated ASAP and if not, do not leave the house. It's silly to say so.

I don't know why we have such a problem with honesty which is (for that person): if you got sick, most likely you'd be fine in a couple of days but you should still get vaccinated because you contribute towards our goal towards herd immunity and because its a free way to mitigate your risk however low it may be. Which by the way is what we do with the flu. Most people get a flu shot but aren't afraid of dying from the flu. And most people know anyone can die from the flu. We don't need to fear monger.

The fear mongering is what is making people question the vaccine. "Why are they so obsessed with me getting vaccinated for something I'm at very, very low risk to? There must be something more to this..."

Does that sound insane? Yes of course, because it is. But these are the people we're dealing with. Honesty goes a long way.

It's when you start telling a 20 or 30 year old that there's a really good chance they could have big problems if they got COVID when there is plenty of data to prove that wrong that you start losing their trust. I know, that's where the elusive, unknown "long COVID" comes into the argument.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I don't feel the need to lie to people to get vaccinated. You cannot honestly say with a straight face that it is absolutely imperative (in terms of their personal health) for a healthy 20 year old to get vaccinated ASAP and if not, do not leave the house. It's silly to say so.

I don't know why we have such a problem with honesty which is (for that person): if you got sick, most likely you'd be fine in a couple of days but you should still get vaccinated because you contribute towards our goal towards herd immunity and because its a free way to mitigate your risk however low it may be. Which by the way is what we do with the flu. Most people get a flu shot but aren't afraid of dying from the flu. And most people know anyone can die from the flu. We don't need to fear monger.

The fear mongering is what is making people question the vaccine. "Why are they so obsessed with me getting vaccinated for something I'm at very, very low risk to? There must be something more to this..."

Does that sound insane? Yes of course, because it is. But these are the people we're dealing with. Honesty goes a long way.
Is there such a thing as "Long Flu"? That to me is why your comparison doesn't work. Why would anyone, whether 20 or 60, want to risk living with Long Covid?

lazyboy97o

You are still reducing it to death or nothing. That is not true. The variety of other negative impacts and their increasing occurrence in younger patients has been explained.

Disney Glimpses

Can you share a link? (I'm not being rhetorical—I Googled and couldn't find anything myself.)
Long COVID is just a marketing buzz word for post-infection disease syndrome which can arise from basically any illness including flu.

As you can see, the symptoms are more or less "long COVID" without persistent loss of sense of smell.

Disney Glimpses

Is there such a thing as "Long Flu"? That to me is why your comparison doesn't work. Why would anyone, whether 20 or 60, want to risk living with Long Covid?

This has been debunked. Mental health issues in control groups of recent studies were the same. Turns out, keeping kids out of school and making them deathly afraid of a virus they have almost no risk to is damaging to their mental health.

LittleBuford

Long COVID is just a marketing buzz word for post-infection disease syndrome which can arise from basically any illness including flu.

With the same incidence? Or are you suggesting that doctors are part of this marketing ploy and exaggerating the numbers of Long Covid sufferers?

Disney Glimpses

I didn't think this thread had any more surprises to offer up, but now I can add Long Covid denialism to the list.

The mind boggles and the heart sinks.
Long COVID is vastly overblown, sorry. It's the final argument that people offer when you tell them a cohort isn't at risk of hospitalization or death from COVID. "Well what about LONG COVID?"

Largely, these people are losing their sense of smell. That's most of long COVID. It stinks and yeah they should get vaccinated to prevent it. But I can't argue for widespread masks, shut downs, distancing, restrictions to keep stubborn people from not being able to smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom