Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandogal22

While it isn't realistic right now based on the scarcity and time required to test someone in the US, When newer test pop up it that are quicker and much more accessible it could become viable. It could also allow Disney to do what they have always wanted to do and only allow entry to the parks by people that stay at their resorts. Just imagine you check in to your Disney hotel, everyone is swabbed at the front desk and after a couple of hours if your family's test results are clean your magic band get activated and you can get into the parks. Sure it would never generate the same crowd levels they have now, but amusement parks are going to have to do something dramatic if this virus turns into a part of life with no cure or vaccine. Otherwise who in their right mind would want to go to WDW if you knew the parks were the equivalent of being stuck on cruise ship with infected guests... and what employees would be willing to work in a place like that where you would know that every day you were going to be subjected to some number of infected guests.

When I worked in Guest Services 20 years ago at both the Yacht and the Beach, I was subjected to almost daily interactions with sick guests.

Including once with Danny Glover when I had to coordinate retrieval of his RX meds to be delivered to the hotel when he was sick. As a side note, he was rather grumpy (and I don't think it had anything to do w/ being sick, if I'm being honest).

Some professions just carry that risk.

DisneyDebRob

No, while the number dead from the virus does continue to increase the mortality rate has been going down as they have realized the number of people that were infected was higher than first thought. Last number of the mortality rate in China was 1.4%, which is about half of what it was thought to be previously.
And we all know how accurate the info coming out of China is.

MrConbon

Do you think Disney will ultimately fire all of their cast members? I can’t see how much longer Disney will put up with having to pay for their shifts. Anyone who isn’t in management will be cut. Are they going to keep the thousands of food and beverage employees?

Lilofan

Do you think Disney will ultimately fire all of their cast members? I can’t see how much longer Disney will put up with having to pay for their shifts. Anyone who isn’t in management will be cut. Are they going to keep the thousands of food and beverage employees?
A member posted that a union was proposing WDW to pay cast thru August. I'm pretty sure Disney will not respond to this proposal until the end of March since Disney notified staff they would be paid until the end of March. Many companies are making very difficult decisions regarding their current staffing while the operations are dormant.

Last edited:

thomas998

They can't afford to fire all of them because the best ones with the most experience are the ones that will be more likely to find a job somewhere else making it more difficult to fill those more critical jobs. I would expect all your wait staff to be canned, but in the kitchen I would expect them to try and hang on to some workers that are more skilled and would be harder to replace later.

MrConbon

They can't afford to fire all of them because the best ones with the most experience are the ones that will be more likely to find a job somewhere else making it more difficult to fill those more critical jobs. I would expect all your wait staff to be canned, but in the kitchen I would expect them to try and hang on to some workers that are more skilled and would be harder to replace later.

What about those in attractions? Keep the full timers and fire all the part timers?

VaderTron

UV rays efficiently kill the virus. Providing you have sunshine, lay the mail out in a sunny spot for a couple hours, rotating the boxes as needed. Or, spray the heck out of them with sanitizer, hoping you can still read the inside mail.

Alternatively, steal your teenage daughter's nail kit, as long as it uses UV rays and dilligently work on each piece of junk mail, that's all I get these days aside from ME tags.
UV-C range rays can kill up to 90% of coronaviruses. Unfortunately, UV-C rays, the shortest in wavelengths, never reach us because they are absorbed by the atmosphere. Good thing, too, because they are even more dangerous than UV-B (5% of all UV rays and what cause sunburns) and UV-A rays (95% of UV rays).

So NO! Don't listen to this old wives tale that is just as false as some of the Chinese animal part cures mentioned earlier.

HongKongFooy

A cough is a cough, a sneeze is a sneeze. 😉

Not so fast..........
Obviously how and where one coughs and sneezes affects Corona spread or Corona containment.

So aggregate behaviors of Spring Breakers clustered vs WDW goers clustered, I would expect, differ. I picture the drunk Spring crowd sneezing and pulling an NBA Gobert just for mockery and fun and games.

drizgirl

And yet in recent times their occupancy levels are fairly constant compared to 15 or 20 years ago. They didn't stop sending out the near continual special room rates because they weren't effective those went away when they didn't need them to fill the rooms. They also wouldn't be expanding the number of rooms if they didn't think they couldn't justify them with a certain level of occupancy.
Sure. But that has no impact on whether they would ever want to be the sole bed provider for their park guests. Still way too much fluctuation. They would never want to keep extra rooms available for peak seasons..

Lilofan

Sure. But that has no impact on whether they would ever want to be the sole bed provider for their park guests. Still way too much fluctuation. They would never want to keep extra rooms available for peak seasons..
When I worked at a hotel front desk many moons ago, the rooms director wanted "heads on beds" and to sell every single room avaliable every single night..

thomas998

My point is right now you are moving to a point where you don't really have a peak season, they parks prior to this closure were pretty consistently crowded.

drizgirl

My point is right now you are moving to a point where you don't really have a peak season, they parks prior to this closure were pretty consistently crowded.
Much more steady for sure. But not consistent enough to make a model where Disney supplied all the beds realistic.

But who the heck knows what the new normal will be when it opens again.

drizgirl

When I worked at a hotel front desk many moons ago, the rooms director wanted "heads on beds" and to sell every single room avaliable every single night..
As I'm sure Disney does (did?) as well. Which makes an exclusive housing situation unrealistic.

techgeek

'Jobs somewhere else' are few and far between at the moment, and getting tougher to secure with more and more people being dumped into the job market daily. Even the industries that need people 'now', like Amazon, are having a hard time ramping up hiring quickly. In central Florida especially, many people will have no choice but to sit and wait on the mouse.

Patcheslee

So you can get arrested for lying about having it, but you won't get arrested for knowing you have it and going out to parties or getting on plane. Got it.
He was arrested for forgery because he falsified a medical document. He should also be held liable for any employee who lost wages or incurred medical bills due to his selfishness.

The Mom

Premium Member
They are allowing 90 extra days to make any payment owed but you still have to file by April 15. People can file an extension which is just a one page form and extends your due date to October 15. Normally with an extension your payment is still due April 15 so if you expect to owe you still need to pay an estimate but with the 90 day payment extension now too it’s possible to just file and pay by July 15 with no penalty or interest. You do need to file the 1 page extension form but that can be done online from the IRS site so no need to visit your tax guy.

I am able to send my forms by mail to my tax preparer, but many people do not have that option, so wouldn't they still need to visit their preparer to have their taxes done in order to know how much to send to the IRS (if they owe anything)?

I've had the same company doing my taxes for years, so was able to do everything by mail/online and have already made my payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom