Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

That’s the thing. When capacity was actually limited to a comfortable level it was more understandable.

But Disney chose to expand capacity while still offering less in entertainment, transportation and dining options. That’s worth a complaint in my book.
While I personally believe that the parks should have remained closed until the vaccines became widely available and don’t understand why anyone would want to visit them during a health crisis, I fail to see the justification for complaining about the reduced experience. People knew (or should have done their research to find out) what was and wasn’t on offer before going ahead with their trips.

TrainsOfDisney

While I personally believe that the parks should have remained closed until the vaccines became widely available and don’t understand why anyone would want to visit them during a health crisis, I fail to see the justification for complaining about the reduced experience. People knew (or should have done their research to find out) what was and wasn’t on offer before going ahead with their trips.
Well Disney didn’t say “if you visit until this date capacity is only at 25%!” - people couldn’t research and plan around that.

LittleBuford

Well Disney didn’t say “if you visit until this date capacity is only at 25%!” - people couldn’t research and plan around that.
Did Disney ever put a number on its capacity anyway? I may be wrong, but I believe that the promise of zero wait times was coming from the first wave of return visitors rather than from Disney itself. Moreover, the nonexistent queues didn’t last long—they proved to be the exception rather than the rule.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s the thing. When capacity was actually limited to a comfortable level it was more understandable.

But Disney chose to expand capacity while still offering less in entertainment, transportation and dining options. That’s worth a complaint in my book.
I agree with this. As long as Disney charges full price then guests can expect to get the full experience and if they don’t then it’s a valid complaint. I agree with the people saying that anyone who went knew that the experience would be altered going in as well, but just because you know you are paying full price for a reduced experience doesn‘t mean you can’t be critical of the product anyway. There are degrees of reduced experience and until you actually “experience it” it’s hard to say whether you will actually miss it or not or how it will impact your trip.

One thing I do not agree with is the people who are critical of CMs for enforcing the rules laid out. It’s perfectly fine to disagree with the need for the rules. It’s perfectly fine to exercise your right not to go because of them. It’s not OK to go anyway and then act confrontational and/or critical of CMs who are just enforcing the rules that are clearly laid out. That includes wearing a mask indoors, even if it’s a little kid. The rules are the rules and if you can’t follow them or don’t want to then stay home. It won’t be long now before the rest of the Covid mitigations are gone from the parks too, just delay a little longer or go somewhere else without those rules.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Did Disney ever put a number on its capacity anyway? I may be wrong, but I believe that the promise of zero wait times was coming from the first wave of return visitors rather than from Disney itself. Moreover, the nonexistent queues didn’t last long—they proved to be the exception rather than the rule.

I don’t think capacity needs to be so low that the queues are nonexistent. But at some point I believe Disney crossed the line have too many people in the parks and not enough entertainment and food available.

I don’t think that happened until Spring of 2021.

So people that are complaining right now, imho, have a valid complaint.

disneygeek90

I'm low key nostalgic for June 2020 at Universal. I'm sure we'll never see anything like that ever again.
1622651890132.jpeg
1622651920557.jpeg

Kevin_W

For those wondering 13yo had 2nd shot 25 hours ago and nothing more than arm soreness. And not even bad or all the time. Sometimes weird movements. Felt fantastic enough to finish a module of his 8th grade science he is skipping next year.

I will say I warned our friend going with us that it won't be the same when we go. The idea that it will be one of the more normal things he can do was enough for him to go. Since we usually get in a couple trips a year, it's not a big deal to us if it isn't exactly the same.

Good to hear. My 13yo gets 2nd shot tomorrow and I hope it goes as smoothly.

Also a good attitude about the trip. In some ways our October trip was the worst trip we've ever taken (limited hours/entertainment/etc.) and in some ways it was the best trip we've ever taken (the rest of the world sucked and we still got to enjoy WDW!), so it's all in your mindset and how you approach it.

Wendy Pleakley

Yep, people may have expected something that wasn't promised.

My understanding is that the max capacity during COVID is a percentage of the parks absolute max capacity, so 25% means a quarter of what one might see New Years Eve, as opposed to a quarter of what one might see in early September.

Combine that with ride capacity similarly lowered and the results seem to be what one might expect. Less crowded overall but wait times comparable to the norm.

GimpYancIent

The most patriotic country and people who will do anything for America until they need to do something for America and don’t so America has to bribe them to do something that America really needs them to do which could be seen as the greatest modern act of patriotism but… microchips and such.
Hell! I want to know if people already done been vaccinated can now be rewarded for doing so w free beer. Hey! We are talking free beer on the 4th.

correcaminos

Good to hear. My 13yo gets 2nd shot tomorrow and I hope it goes as smoothly.

Also a good attitude about the trip. In some ways our October trip was the worst trip we've ever taken (limited hours/entertainment/etc.) and in some ways it was the best trip we've ever taken (the rest of the world sucked and we still got to enjoy WDW!), so it's all in your mindset and how you approach it.
First vacation in 2 years so... better than nothing. Get to see friends too we missed out on last year!

My kid did say he felt a bit tired today, but I think some of that is the cold rain and having nothing much to do other than 8th grade science lol

DCBaker

Premium Member
Admittedly didn't read the article, but what type of beer are they giving away?

"Interested applicants over the age of 21 "will simply upload a picture of themselves in their favorite place to grab a beer" to MyCooler.com/Beer to enter to get a $5 digital pre-paid card that can be used to purchase their free drink. The giveaway is limited to the first 200,000 people."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom