Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Everybody said people would just lie and it wouldn't make any difference. But ultimately lots are uncomfortable with lying and will respond to this nudge in the right direction.
In my area, mask mandates are gone for anyone fully vaccinated, and most businesses are following the state's guidelines, yet I still see at least 30-40% of people continuing to wear masks, even where not required for vaccinated people. No doubt there are some that are "lying" and not wearing a mask even though unvaccinated, but it appears to be the minority. I honestly don't believe that there is a majority of unvaccinated that are now lying and not wearing them. I do believe that there are a lot that simply ignored the mask mandates all the time in certain parts of the country, and continue to do so.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Everybody said people would just lie and it wouldn't make any difference. But ultimately lots are uncomfortable with lying and will respond to this nudge in the right direction.
I agree with this. Some people will lie but the majority of people would prefer to not have to. I also think many workplaces are going beyond just the honor system too and that’s a major factor. Even just telling someone they can lose mask If fully vaccinated but if they get caught lying they could be fired should be motivation enough for most people.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When D23 announces a new attraction or event at Disney there’s probably an uptick in visitors to DisneyWorld.com as well.
The uptick in traffic is at the site where you put in your zip code to find out where there’s a vaccine appointment near you. It’s not just the general CDC site with information. It would be the equivalent of D23 announcing a new attraction opening 10/1 and then seeing an uptick in people searching for hotel room availability for that date or later.

GaBoy

LOL all the people complaining about their Disney vacation during a pandemic being less than magical.
I appreciate a realistic assessment of the experience right now. I also am not surprised it sucks. I use pre-pandemic as the level of experience since the prices are pre-pandemic or higher. It helps me gauge whether it's the right time and nothing I hear tells me that its worth full price yet.
I say to those people still going, tell your story good or bad and expect the best, no reason not to always hold them to the gold standard they charge for. It is a destination with a premium price tag and reports tell me that I will see where we are by the end of the year before I make any moves to plunk down a sweaty wad of cash.

Chi84

Premium Member
I subscribe to the idea that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. DH and I went to WDW a few weeks ago to use expiring DVC points and made the best of the limited experiences available. The heat and humidity were near record levels for that time in May and the masks outdoors were extremely uncomfortable. We dealt with it the best we could but there's no question it wasn't what we had originally planned (a family vacation for 7, which would have been our grandson's first WDW vacation). We had a good time, but I think it's okay to admit that there was also some disappointment.

WDW is near and dear to our hearts (no matter what you read here), and I think people are afraid it will never get back to pre-pandemic levels. That fear may cause a bit more lashing out at the current experience than usual. I suspect that some of the people laughing at the complaints have not been to WDW since the pandemic, so they may not fully comprehend the differences. Yes, some of the complaints seem over the top, but what's the point of making fun of them?

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
WDW is near and dear to our hearts (no matter what you read here), and I think people are afraid it will never get back to pre-pandemic levels. That fear may cause a bit more lashing out at the current experience than usual. I suspect that some of the people laughing at the complaints have not been to WDW since the pandemic, so they may not fully comprehend the differences. Yes, some of the complaints seem over the top, but what's the point of making fun of them?
I don't doubt for a second that we'll return to pre-pandemic levels. I mean, coming from me... that should provide some hope to someone out there!

_caleb

I don't agree. I see no difference between using the laugh emoji to inappropriately laugh at someone's post and typing "LOL" to laugh at all of them at once. In either case, it's unkind.

I'm not a complainer - in fact, I subscribe to the idea that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. DH and I went to WDW a few weeks ago to use expiring DVC points and made the best of the limited experiences available. The heat and humidity were near record levels for that time in May and the masks outdoors were extremely uncomfortable. We dealt with it the best we could but there's no question it wasn't what we had originally planned (a family vacation for 7, which would have been our grandson's first WDW vacation). We had a good time, but I think it's okay to admit that there was also some disappointment.

I edited my post as not to be unkind.

I intended to convey my lack of sympathy for those who–knowing that we're in the middle of the largest public health emergency in our lifetimes, and knowing that mitigation measures are still in place on Disney property–would complain that they weren't getting their money's worth out of their vacation.

The reason I have not been back to WDW since the pandemic began is because I comprehend the differences. I am truly surprised that anyone would go to the parks right now and be upset that CMs "treated guests like they had covid," or that the parks are understaffed after thousands were laid off, or that wearing a mask in Florida in the summer makes you feel hot. Disappointed? Sure! But what did they expect?

correcaminos

For those wondering 13yo had 2nd shot 25 hours ago and nothing more than arm soreness. And not even bad or all the time. Sometimes weird movements. Felt fantastic enough to finish a module of his 8th grade science he is skipping next year.

I will say I warned our friend going with us that it won't be the same when we go. The idea that it will be one of the more normal things he can do was enough for him to go. Since we usually get in a couple trips a year, it's not a big deal to us if it isn't exactly the same.

James J

In the Parks
No
Has recently been a bank holiday in the uk but we reported 0 deaths yesterday from covid since the pandemic began!! 🥳
Unfortunately the bank holiday just delayed the reporting of deaths - back to double figures today. There's also been a 200% rise in cases in my town compared to the previous week, so I'm very much looking forward to finally getting my first shot on Monday!

mmascari

It's an interesting read and shows how some of the science changed over time. It also shows how random some of the process was 50+ years ago and how those random things still impact stuff today. Even if we're more rigorous today, that past foundation has lots of impacts.

My favorite silly part was this though:
Marr reviewed blueprints and HVAC schematics with the owner of her gym, calculating the ventilation rates and consulting on a redesign that moved workout stations outside and near doors that were kept permanently open. To date, no one has caught Covid at the gym.
If only she had been a WDW fanatic instead of just wanting to work out. :)

Disneydad1012

In my area, mask mandates are gone for anyone fully vaccinated, and most businesses are following the state's guidelines, yet I still see at least 30-40% of people continuing to wear masks, even where not required for vaccinated people. No doubt there are some that are "lying" and not wearing a mask even though unvaccinated, but it appears to be the minority. I honestly don't believe that there is a majority of unvaccinated that are now lying and not wearing them. I do believe that there are a lot that simply ignored the mask mandates all the time in certain parts of the country, and continue to do so.
Up here in MA we went mask less starting 5/29 for the vaccinated and I am very surprised with how many are still wearing them. We went to IKEA on Sunday and were the extreme minority going mask less.

TrainsOfDisney

For those that think removing mask mandates is awful, here's a good look at how that is not the case
Never said it was awful. As it relates to Disney theme parks it seems a bit soon.

But if the vaccine continues to do its job (and I have no reason to doubt it will) it won’t be too long before things will be pretty close to normal again so it’s probably just a few months of “a bit soon” in certain parts of the USA.

Chip Chipperson

I edited my post as not to be unkind.

I intended to convey my lack of sympathy for those who–knowing that we're in the middle of the largest public health emergency in our lifetimes, and knowing that mitigation measures are still in place on Disney property–would complain that they weren't getting their money's worth out of their vacation.

The reason I have not been back to WDW since the pandemic began is because I comprehend the differences. I am truly surprised that anyone would go to the parks right now and be upset that CMs "treated guests like they had covid," or that the parks are understaffed after thousands were laid off, or that wearing a mask in Florida in the summer makes you feel hot. Disappointed? Sure! But what did they expect?

I agree. Nobody booked a trip for this time of year not knowing what protocols were in place. To know that and book the trip anyway only to complain that it's not what you're used to is odd to me. My wife and I went last month knowing that it would be different from any recent visit, but decided it was worth it because we just wanted to get away after we were fully vaccinated and we never intended for this trip to be one of our usual park-heavy trips. I don't understand being upset about CMs enforcing the rules - especially knowing that there would be plenty of people complaining if they didn't enforce the mask rules and we all know which of those complaints would land the CM in trouble with their bosses. And I don't think that "But Universal is doing X, Y, or Z" has any merit as an argument for being upset about Disney's rules when the rules were known in advance and they have taken a more cautious approach than Universal ever since the parks were allowed to reopen last summer - they waited an extra month or so to reopen WDW, haven't had nighttime shows, seemed to be better about enforcing mask rules, etc.

TrainsOfDisney

Because Disney charged full price for the pandemic experience and laughed all the way to the bank
That’s the thing. When capacity was actually limited to a comfortable level it was more understandable.

But Disney chose to expand capacity while still offering less in entertainment, transportation and dining options. That’s worth a complaint in my book.

Chi84

Premium Member
Because Disney charged full price for the pandemic experience and laughed all the way to the bank
I really appreciate the lengths Disney went to in order to open the parks when they did. Seeing the decreased capacity along with the extra measures required to implement COVID precautions, I don't begrudge them what they charged. Others will criticize them for it, and of course that's their opinion .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom