Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willmark

Having read every post on this thread, I remain confused-as usual!
I don’t understand the “disrespect “ shown by some posters to those who choose to continue to wear masks. No one knows why people are choosing to make that decision. Unvaccinated, except for medically exempt, I have no sympathy with but if, like me, fully vaccinated surely that is my choice!
So I’m asking genuine questions.

1. Why is it so offensive to see people opting to continue to wear masks when fully vaccinated?
2. How does it impact on your life if vaccinated people wear masks?
3. What business is it of yours if I’m vaccinated but choose to wear a mask?
In order, answering on for myself:
1. It’s not offensive.
2. It’s doesn’t.
3. It’s not.

I think the issue being bandied about is those who are unvaccinated and why. A close reading here seems to indicate that some people DEFINITELY know who isn’t getting vaccinated and that roughly corresponds with political views.

Then there appears another smaller contingent that if it was up to them would be forcing everyone to get the vaccine. Could be wrong but it sure seems that way.

Willmark

But the vaccine still isn't out for children. That's why we canceled our vacation and won't be traveling until next year. I'm not comfortable waiting in packed lines with people not in masks and risking my kids getting sick. And don't say kids don't get sick, because some do. I know of a local kid who is hospitalized with covid. I know another kid who developed a chronic heart condition after getting covid. I believe the CDC advocated dropping masks way too early. You can't trust people to do the right thing. Basically my family will be pretty much staying home until my kids are fully vaccinated.
Then that is a choice you make which others feel differently about.

ImperfectPixie

In order, answering on for myself:
1. It’s not offensive.
2. It’s doesn’t.
3. It’s not.

I think the issue being bandied about is those who are unvaccinated and why. A close reading here seems to indicate that some people DEFINITELY know who isn’t getting vaccinated and that roughly corresponds with political views.

Then there appears another smaller contingent that if it was up to them would be forcingeveryone to get the vaccine. Could be wrong but it sure seems that way.
To your last...here there's a law forbidding people from riding in the backs of pickup trucks because people were getting injured...so we're forcing them to ride in the cab. There are some instances in which people need to be protected from their own ignorance.

On the flip side, some wonder if we've passed too many laws protecting people from themselves, and if we should let Darwin deal with them.

Epcotbob

But the vaccine still isn't out for children. That's why we canceled our vacation and won't be traveling until next year. I'm not comfortable waiting in packed lines with people not in masks and risking my kids getting sick. And don't say kids don't get sick, because some do. I know of a local kid who is hospitalized with covid. I know another kid who developed a chronic heart condition after getting covid. I believe the CDC advocated dropping masks way too early. You can't trust people to do the right thing. Basically my family will be pretty much staying home until my kids are fully vaccinated.
I think that’s exactly the right choice for your family given your concerns.

I don’t doubt that there is still some risk to children, but apparently the CDC analyzed the situation and felt the risk was not high enough to maintain stringent lockdowns and masking for everyone, again, a balancing act.

Chi84

Premium Member
The CDC has some pretty solid science supporting its decisions, and it has been understandably on the conservative side during this pandemic. There's no question that the CDC has the relevant data concerning COVID and children. I think most people will trust that their guidelines are supported by facts and adopted in good faith. For persons such as yourself, who disagree with the guidelines, the answer is to do what you decide is best for you and your family.

GimpYancIent

How do you figure?

We force people to ride in the cab of a truck instead of the bed to protect them from making the wrong choice.

We *could* force people to become vaccinated against COVID to protect them from making the wrong choice.
Interesting thought. Let's just say ALL Americans are force vaccinated but this is a global issue and the rest of the world, since many other countries do not care, do not copy the U.S. The U.S. will be under no less of a threat than it is currently on many levels. In short "forcing" people will not be "protecting people from making the wrong choice". The U.S. is moving in the correct direction in dealing with COVID as is.

Epcotbob

Interesting thought. Let's just say ALL Americans are force vaccinated but this is a global issue and the rest of the world, since many other countries do not care, do not copy the U.S. The U.S. will be under no less of a threat than it is currently on many levels. In short "forcing" people will not be "protecting people from making the wrong choice". The U.S. is moving in the correct direction in dealing with COVID as is.
Exactly! I have nothing against the vaccines, they appear to be safe and remarkably effective. But I know people who are deathly afraid of the vaccine, have auto-immune issues, etc.

FORCING them to take them against their will? No way, that would be draconian and would never fly legally...we are not living under a dictatorship. Besides, the actual threat of Covid is currently not, nor probably ever was high enough to warrant even considering it.

ImperfectPixie

Better change America's basic charter first or enlist at least 5 Supreme sitters(or a majority of court quorum) sympathetic to that warped viewpoint otherwise you be wrong.
There are vaccinations that are required. It's nothing new.

Also...it was a discussion point. Chill out.

Wendy Pleakley

One of the great things about this country is that people have choices. I wore my mask, got vaccinated and now will definitely not wear it anywhere it’s not required. The girl who cuts my hair pretty much wears her mask 24/7 but also doesn’t want to get vaccinated. I don’t understand it, but whatever, that’s her choice. Too many people look at the mask wearing as a black and white thing. You either care about people or you’re a P.O.S. You’re telling me that no one with COVID who wore masks didn’t spread it to anyone else who also was wearing a mask? Yet there are people who didn’t wear masks and never got COVID, hence never spread it. But according to some folks, they could have and put lives at risk. OK 🙄. The mask isn’t Corona Kryptonite.

No one, or very few, is saying that masks are 100% effective against COVID. You complain that others are labelling certain viewpoints as unreasonable extremes, while doing the same.

Your logic is completely wrong here. Some people don't wear masks and didn't spread COVID, therefore they didn't put anyone at risk? No, just no. This does not make sense.

Let's say there are 100 people. If they all wear masks, the spread of COVID will be less than if 50 wear masks and further less than if 0 wear masks. We have to look at the big picture. In general, on average, not wearing a mask increases overall risk/transmission.

Pointing out that some people don't wear a mask and don't spread COVID is irrelevant. Of course it's not the case that 100% of people without a mask spread COVID to others 100% of the time.

This is like saying I broke the speed limit 10 times last year and got zero tickets, therefore I can speed all the time with zero risk of getting a ticket. Eventually, I'll get one.

Flugell

Can’t argue with most of this. I don’t believe that most other countries/populations don’t care but are perhaps being badly governed, whilst at the same time not having enough vaccines to actually make a difference. So maybe not bad governance alone but a lack of sufficient vaccine in the world, or more controversially an imbalance of vaccine distribution favouring the richer countries/continents. I heard on BBC news this morning a representative of the WHO saying the Pandemic can’t/won’t end until every country on earth has 70% of their population fully vaccinated. They are hoping to achieve 10% in every country by October. That is certainly a very sobering thought. I know the WHO is not well respected in some parts of the USA but it is probably the only body looking at the global aspect of this pandemic so even if their 70% is a little high the principle remains the same.
So perhaps people who are convinced that they don’t want to be vaccinated could donate their dose to another country of their choice. I realise that this isn’t necessarily possible in the USA because of the way contracts have been signed but it must be better than letting unwanted vaccines go unused and thrown away.

Dreaming of Disney World

I don't think we should FORCE people to be vaccinated against covid, but I wish vaccine passports were required for pretty much everything (shopping, traveling, schools, amusement parks, etc) once the vaccines are available to children. Then a lot of the hesitant people would just get it done. People who are antivax will have to live their lives at home like my family has done for the past year. It's our turn to be out in public now. I know this won't happen, but it would be the most fair for people who are concerned about catching coronavirus.

Willmark

How do you figure?

We force people to ride in the cab of a truck instead of the bed to protect them from making the wrong choice.

We *could* force people to become vaccinated against COVID to protect them from making the wrong choice.
There is a actual implementation forcing people to not ride in the bed of a truck? Or is there a law and people still do it anyways?

Compared to (I’m guess you are for) a implementation that forces people to get vaccinated?

The key word here is force.

ImperfectPixie

There is a actual implementation forcing people to not ride in the bed of a truck? Or is there a law and people still do it anyways?

Compared to (I’m guess you are for) a implementation that forces people to get vaccinated?

The key word here is force.
I didn't say I was for or against...simply that there are things that people are forced to do whether they want to or not for their own safety and for the safety of the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom