Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willmark

Last several pages have been a fascinating read.

Separately, here is some data on who isn’t getting vaccinated. As was said a while back: who isn’t getting vaccinated isn’t as neat of a box as several posters here would like or claim it to be:

If people don’t like this link there are plenty more out there.

ElvisMickey

Last several pages have been a fascinating read.

Separately, here is some data on who isn’t getting vaccinated. As was said a while back: who isn’t getting vaccinated isn’t as neat of a box as several posters here would like or claim it to be:

If people don’t like this link there are plenty more out there.
One of the great things about this country is that people have choices. I wore my mask, got vaccinated and now will definitely not wear it anywhere it’s not required. The girl who cuts my hair pretty much wears her mask 24/7 but also doesn’t want to get vaccinated. I don’t understand it, but whatever, that’s her choice. Too many people look at the mask wearing as a black and white thing. You either care about people or you’re a P.O.S. You’re telling me that no one with COVID who wore masks didn’t spread it to anyone else who also was wearing a mask? Yet there are people who didn’t wear masks and never got COVID, hence never spread it. But according to some folks, they could have and put lives at risk. OK 🙄. The mask isn’t Corona Kryptonite.

Willmark

I think that what needs to be taken from this is that no one has done the right thing, 100% of the time, over the last 15+ months.
100% correct, but oddly it seems there are people that think there are. Certainly federal, state and local governments here in the US have done stuff less than 100% correct. I suppose it depends on which color the lenses are in ones glasses.

And that goes for the professionals and politicians as well.
100% correct. Mistakes were made all around. Humans aren’t perfect.

This was (hopefully) a once in a lifetime experience for us.
It’s not. SARS, MERS and now Covid say otherwise as all happened within the last (less than 20 years). With two of them involving China being less than truthful.

Which also meant that no one knew for sure how to react or what to do at
100% correct.
Or even throughout
correct again

But the issue is the people who think that no matter what their opinion is/was on the pandemic, masks, etc., their view is superior to other folks who had different levels of concern.
Certainly a lot of authoritative statements here.

You can’t rail on someone else because they’re viewing it differently than you are.
You’re new here aren’t you? /s
I wore my mask over the last 15 months and am now vaccinated.
Same.

But I have news for you, there are plenty of people out there who never wore a mask and never contracted
Not possible, masks are +5 shields of invulnerability!

Everyone needs to get off their high horse.

Let me know how that works out around here /s

Last edited:

Willmark

One of the great things about this country is that people have choices. I wore my mask, got vaccinated and now will definitely not wear it anywhere it’s not required. The girl who cuts my hair pretty much wears her mask 24/7 but also doesn’t want to get vaccinated. I don’t understand it, but whatever, that’s her choice. Too many people look at the mask wearing as a black and white thing. You either care about people or you’re a P.O.S. You’re telling me that no one with COVID who wore masks didn’t spread it to anyone else who also was wearing a mask? Yet there are people who didn’t wear masks and never got COVID, hence never spread it. But according to some folks, they could have and put lives at risk. OK 🙄. The mask isn’t Corona Kryptonite.
I think I found my long lost twin.

This is correct in every particular.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I'm worried about the future pandemics for years now.....I'm scared about this. Are they are working on new vaccines faster than during COVID-19 pandemic for the future pandemics in the future?

Willmark

I'm worried about the future pandemics for years now.....I'm scared about this. Are they are working on new vaccines faster than during COVID-19 pandemic for the future pandemics in the future?
By all accounts the vaccines were developed in record time. Science has advanced rapidly on that front and computers weren’t around to help with the Spanish flu a hundred years ago (obviously).

There were also a number of factors in the case of Covid that’s helped:
1. Highly contagious but relatively low lethality.
2. Advances in computer tech enabling faster time to a vaccine.
3. Better medical care.

But for consideration SARS and MERS had much higher death rates:

My layman’s reading of my link indicates to me that each burned itself out quicker as it were as in the case of MERS people died at a much higher rate than Covid.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
By all accounts the vaccines were developed in record time. Science has advanced rapidly on that front and computers weren’t around to help with the Spanish flu a hundred years ago (obviously).

There were also a number of factors in the case of Covid that’s helped:
1. Highly contagious but relatively low lethality.
2. Advances in computer tech enabling faster time to a vaccine.
3. Better medical care.

But for consideration SARS and MERS had much higher death rates:

My layman’s reading of my link indicates to me that each burned itself out quicker as it were as in the case of MERS people died at a much higher rate than Covid.
But I'm worried about future pandemics in the future. Is the next future pandemic won't be happen again soon?

Jrb1979

I realize you have a very dim view of people here in America due to what you read, but it simply isn’t true for large parts of the country. Here in Maryland, we are following the CDC guidelines, so those of us fully vaccinated don’t have to wear a mask anywhere unless a business requires it. Unvaccinated still have to wear one, and at the store yesterday, easily 30-40% were still wearing masks indoors. Even during the worst part, we had better than 99% compliance with the rules. We’re not all as bad as you keep harping on.
It's not just America, I see the same here in Canada. It has nothing to do with mask wearing. It's the attitude of the many people since this started. It started out as we are all in this together became a lot of infighting due to many reasons. Unfortunately it's just gotten worse.

Flugell

Having read every post on this thread, I remain confused-as usual!
I don’t understand the “disrespect “ shown by some posters to those who choose to continue to wear masks. No one knows why people are choosing to make that decision. Unvaccinated, except for medically exempt, I have no sympathy with but if, like me, fully vaccinated surely that is my choice!
So I’m asking genuine questions.

1. Why is it so offensive to see people opting to continue to wear masks when fully vaccinated?
2. How does it impact on your life if vaccinated people wear masks?
3. What business is it of yours if I’m vaccinated but choose to wear a mask?

As I have explained in the past my husband has an immunosuppressant condition so wearing a mask, although it mostly benefits others, adds a small additional protection to us and I’ll take anything I can get. It also acts as a physical reminder to maintain distance without the need to verbally ask.

I have no disrespect for vaccinated people who are pleased to be finally free of the mask and do not expect them to wear a mask ad infinitum for anyone else but just ask to be allowed to continue to wear a mask, until such time I believe it is not necessary, without being ridiculed or abused.

As for those who haven’t been vaccinated, for reasons other than medical, then choose not to wear a mask, I will join you in disrespecting and ridiculing their selfish attitude.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m sure the next infectious disease will totally identify the people living on their high horses with holier than thou attitudes and only infect them, and leave all the people just trying to live their lives alone.

This was a BFD (urban dictionary definition if the context isn’t clear), and infectious diseases vs humanity are not automatic victories for the humans even as our defense has improved substantially. If we will not identify BFDs for what they are and view their presence as something where individual choice is a thing, than we should expect the consequences that come with unforced errors.
This ends all of this...it really does. It identifies the root problem and the root error in response.

and if you don’t agree with this...frankly you’re wrong. No matter what your damn opinion is (don’t care...nature doesn’t care)...it’s called “wrong”

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I realize you have a very dim view of people here in America due to what you read, but it simply isn’t true for large parts of the country. Here in Maryland, we are following the CDC guidelines, so those of us fully vaccinated don’t have to wear a mask anywhere unless a business requires it. Unvaccinated still have to wear one, and at the store yesterday, easily 30-40% were still wearing masks indoors. Even during the worst part, we had better than 99% compliance with the rules. We’re not all as bad as you keep harping on.
I have the privilege of being Canadian by birth but American by choice (well, my parents choice in the 80s). Canadians and Americans tend to be very different people in general. BUT, I have found that what they share in common are the areas that make them very good people that want to make the right choice for their family and for their neighbors. Like you and @ParentsOf4 , I definitely have much more faith in my neighbor than many seem to do here. It’s probably grown over the last year or so. And I’m not willing to let what I read on this forum or others dictate how I feel here. Because in many cases, these forums are just not reality. If someone has lost faith in their fellow man, i would suggest looking within first rather than outward.
Ok I’m done. Lol

Chi84

Premium Member
I have the privilege of being Canadian by birth but American by choice (well, my parents choice in the 80s). Canadians and Americans tend to be very different people in general. BUT, I have found that what they share in common are the areas that make them very good people that want to make the right choice for their family and for their neighbors. Like you and @ParentsOf4 , I definitely have much more faith in my neighbor than many seem to do here. It’s probably grown over the last year or so. And I’m not willing to let what I read on this forum or others dictate how I feel here. Because in many cases, these forums are just not reality. If someone has lost faith in their fellow man, i would suggest looking within first rather than outward.
Ok I’m done. Lol
I'm with you. I've seen so many examples of self-sacrifice, kindness and respect over the last year that it has reaffirmed my belief that most people are reasonable, intelligent and responsible. As far as social media is concerned, there's a lot of truth to "misery loves company." Your suggestion of looking inward is a wise one.

Jrb1979

Ok I’m done. Lol
I wish I felt that way. My feelings have nothing to what people post here. It all has to do with the people I have known and their actions. Yes I have seen some good but for the most part many have been selfish from the beginning. Maybe part of that comes from having to work with the public since the beginning. I've seen more rude and confrontational people then nice. Add to that many neighbors having parties and you begin to see the real side of people.

Epcotbob

Why can't you respect my health to try to keep me safe? I think my health is more important than your freedom to not wear a mask. The downside to me is I could get sick and die. The downside to you is you have a piece of cloth/paper over your face for a little bit. Which is more important? I will never respect your choice. Now if you're vaccinated, you can of course choose to not wear a mask. But if you're not vaccinated, then either get vaccinated or wear a mask.
Freedom / Public safety and risk is always a balancing act. Now that vaccines are largely available and the numbers are dropping rapidly, the CDC and most everyone else has relaxed the mask requirements and opened things back up. So the risk no longer warrants keeping things closed up and forcing the masses to wear a mask.

For those still concerned about their health, the burden has shifted back to you to keep yourself safe. You can still stay home, order online or wear an N95 mask if you need to go out. Society can’t stay in lockdown forever, nor should it.

Dreaming of Disney World

Freedom / Public safety and risk is always a balancing act. Now that vaccines are largely available and the numbers are dropping rapidly, the CDC and most everyone else has relaxed the mask requirements and opened things back up. So the risk no longer warrants keeping things closed up and forcing the masses to wear a mask.

For those still concerned about their health, the burden has shifted back to you to keep yourself safe. You can still stay home, order online or wear an N95 mask if you need to go out. Society can’t stay in lockdown forever, nor should it.
But the vaccine still isn't out for children. That's why we canceled our vacation and won't be traveling until next year. I'm not comfortable waiting in packed lines with people not in masks and risking my kids getting sick. And don't say kids don't get sick, because some do. I know of a local kid who is hospitalized with covid. I know another kid who developed a chronic heart condition after getting covid. I believe the CDC advocated dropping masks way too early. You can't trust people to do the right thing. Basically my family will be pretty much staying home until my kids are fully vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom