Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElvisMickey

Why can't you respect my health to try to keep me safe? I think my health is more important than your freedom to not wear a mask. The downside to me is I could get sick and die. The downside to you is you have a piece of cloth/paper over your face for a little bit. Which is more important? I will never respect your choice. Now if you're vaccinated, you can of course choose to not wear a mask. But if you're not vaccinated, then either get vaccinated or wear a mask.
Umm, if you read my original post, I wore my mask for 15 months and am now vaccinated. And this is the problem. You just assume everyone is an anti-vaxxer hillbilly.

Chip Chipperson

Umm, wearing a mask and drinking and driving are completely different. One, you’re drunk, if that’s what you’re implying. Second, if you don’t have COVID, there’s no chance of spreading anything. You’re exactly the type of person I’m talking about. There are two or three members on here who think they’re holier than thou…

One question: Since there has been asymptomatic/presymptomatic spread of this virus, how could anyone possibly assume to be certain that they don't have the virus (prior to being fully vaccinated)? People who had the attitude of, "I'd know it if I had it," contributed to the mess we've been trying to clean up for over a year.

ElvisMickey

One question: Since there has been asymptomatic/presymptomatic spread of this virus, how could anyone possibly assume to be certain that they don't have the virus (prior to being fully vaccinated)? People who had the attitude of, "I'd know it if I had it," contributed to the mess we've been trying to clean up for over a year.
You guys better get all your shots in now. Masks will be gone in three . . . two . . . one.
Queue the crying from the mask crew…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s not enough. The last 15 months should be proof of that. There is no A for effort for the portion of the people that did do the right thing. This was all Pass/Fail and collectively this country failed. The vaccine part has been a fortuitous success, and it was so perfectly timed that it has apparently resulted in people diminishing the Fail parts.

The number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths this country tallied are tragedies that weren’t minimized because we valued their lives, but what we concluded were acceptable losses. Including the ones that are still happening despite the narrative that we won and this is all over except some clean up. Had we not had the vaccine, and the variants hit us with full force it would have been devastating. I have no confidence that as the numbers for that started tallying up people would have set aside their frustration and weariness of the mitigations to buckle down and done anything about it.

At the end of Apollo 13 (the movie) there is a line that the mission was deemed a successful failure. That is what this has been, and there is hubris to pretend that the might of the American people saved the day, and not a miracle delivered with impeccable timing by a relatively small percentage of Americans (and non-Americans).

So go ahead and frame this in a way so you can hand slap anyone that has the audacity to say no, they don't trust people. One of the reasons I think the lab leak theory is being latched onto, is because it is the answer that saves us from having to contemplate that another zoonotic spillover event could happen next year, or 5 years, or 10 years from now and we have to face the potential of doing all of this again, or worse depending on what comes up on the randomizer (Guy's Grocery Games Tournament of Champions reference). A lab accident isn't supposed to happen, so we can imagine the steps to take to avoid it from happening in the future for a long time. An intentional act gives us a Villain to fight, but we can imagine how fighting villains will prevent this situation from happening again. If it's natural, it's unpredictable other than there will be a next time, and we *know* in our souls that we are unprepared and unwilling to do this again if it happened in the near future. We didn't learn the value in what we did. We learned that we hate it. But even the hate wasn't enough to motivate people to stick their arms out and clear the vaccination goals with ease.

So no, I don't trust people. If told that people need to run a marathon, and a bunch only manage 26 of the 26.2 miles I trust that people will argue that it should count too, because it's only .2 miles that they failed to complete.

My favorite line from that movie “failure is not an option”

And everyone can go feel like miserable failures. 😊

...well we shouldn’t expect too much from the masses, shoujf

Jrb1979

I noticed that you’ve repeated that for months now. Again, it’s that holier than attitude which turns people off. And if you don’t respect other people, why should we respect you? Just sayin’…
I really don't care what others think. It's how I feel and will continue to feel that way about just about everyone. If it's holier then thou so be it.

ImperfectPixie

I noticed that you’ve repeated that for months now. Again, it’s that holier than thou attitude which turns people off. And if you don’t respect other people, why should we respect you? Just sayin’…
Be angry all you want. You're entitled to your opinion - that doesn't make it right, nor does it make you worthy of respecting when that opinion has the potential to create risk for others.

To use the drunk driver analogy again - I would never respect someone who risks driving drunk specifically because they choose to take the lives of others into their own hands and play Russian roulette with them. The same applies for COVID.

ElvisMickey

I'm done with masks emotionally, but the analogy isn't off. I saw more than 2 likes too. Respecting choices only goes as far when it doesn't create risks for others. That's why smoking sections are gone. Why DUIs exist. Your choices can negatively impact others. Just like an unvaccinated person can risk the health of others. It's always been this way and true. Instead of the usual conspiracy theorists, we now added a whole new level of anti-vaxxers to the mix for covid.
Hey, I’m not someone who’s anti mask. I’ve said this multiple times. I wore mine continuously. I’m just not going to consider someone else the scum of the earth because they chose not to wear a mask. If anyone else wants to judge, go for it.

ElvisMickey

Be angry all you want. You're entitled to your opinion - that doesn't make it right, nor does it make you worthy of respecting when that opinion has the potential to create risk for others.

To use the drunk driver analogy again - I would never respect someone who risks driving drunk specifically because they choose to take the lives of others into their own hands and play Russian roulette with them. The same applies for COVID.
Who’s angry? I’m on a 3 day weekend. It seems to be the usual 4-5 folks on here that just don’t stop with the COVID mask stuff. And that’s when I’m not even
Commenting…

hopemax

I noticed that you’ve repeated that for months now. Again, it’s that holier than thou attitude which turns people off. And if you don’t respect other people, why should we respect you? Just sayin’…
I’m sure the next infectious disease will totally identify the people living on their high horses with holier than thou attitudes and only infect them, and leave all the people just trying to live their lives alone.

This was a BFD (urban dictionary definition if the context isn’t clear), and infectious diseases vs humanity are not automatic victories for the humans even as our defense has improved substantially. If we will not identify BFDs for what they are and view their presence as something where individual choice is a thing, than we should expect the consequences that come with unforced errors.

correcaminos

Hey, I’m not someone who’s anti mask. I’ve said this multiple times. I wore mine continuously. I’m just not going to consider someone else the scum of the earth because they chose not to wear a mask. If anyone else wants to judge, go for it.
Let's be real. Those who chose not to mask when mandated are maskholes. If they didn't mask, they were very much putting others at risk. Now with vaccines the only maskholes are the ones who choose to not vaccinate and still don't mask. Are they scum? Eh... but they are selfish jerks. Some who did follow rules are beyond tired of carrying the weight of responsibility. Vaccinated not masking, I'm totally cool with.

Jrb1979

It's not mask wearing that I'm judging people solely on. It's the attitude towards being vaccinated, people only willing to get vaccinated if they are given something for it and the big one is the good enough attitude for ending this.

correcaminos

It's not mask wearing that I'm judging people solely on. It's the attitude towards being vaccinated, people only willing to get vaccinated if they are given something for it and the big one is the good enough attitude for ending this.
I don't even care about that. Do what it takes! Our board of education had a meeting about summer school (and beyond) and masks since state mandate ends next week. They voted to go to mask optional. Fine with me. They reiterate that quarantines for unvaccinated will be enforced and promoted vaccinating to avoid it. Any carrot dangling is good with me

Chi84

Premium Member
there is no “mask crew”...there never was...

there was a “shut up and do what you’re told!” Crew...those with critical thinking/problem solving skills.
People with critical thinking and problem solving skills do what they believe is right, not just what someone else tells them to do. Maybe I’m once again misunderstanding your post. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People with critical thinking and problem solving skills do what they believe is right, not just what someone else tells them to do. Maybe I’m once again misunderstanding your post. Wouldn’t be the first time.
No...”what you believe is right” is an opinion...problem solvers follow the information to make conclusions...no matter if it lines up to their predisposed neuron firing patterns

you are “misunderstanding”...apparently on a really fundamental level.

this is where you tell me: “yeah...but you can’t really expect people not to do what they feel like...?”

definition 2 is the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom