Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Statement from Orange County Mayor Jerry L. Demings | May 28, 2021

"There is much to look forward to on this Memorial Day weekend. Coronavirus infections and deaths continue to decline. Fully vaccinated family members can enjoy their time with one another – both indoors and outdoors – without a mask.

Right now, 53.96 percent of Orange County residents have received at least one dose of the vaccine. Our 14-day rolling positivity rate is 4.7 percent. These are great numbers that we want to maintain.

I ask any resident who has not been vaccinated to please do so. Please help us contain this deadly disease, and continue our return to normalcy. We do not want to see a spike in COVID-19 infections like we did after Memorial Day 2020.

Have a safe weekend, and may we all continue to honor the military personnel who made the ultimate sacrifice serving our country."

He kind of side stepped that one.

CosmicRays

5bcgkq.jpg

correcaminos

More like completely ignored the fact that one of the stats he quoted is below the goal required by the non-existent reopening plan to enter fantasy phase 3.
Or just doesn't want to do it before the holiday. I also took it kind of as a green light for places like Universal to do their indoor policy as well. I'll be interested to see what happens next week.

Last edited:

CarolinaSoprano

Still, there's a difference between "asking" or "expecting" someone to wear face coverings and requiring it. You're certainly free to disagree, but nothing in the language on Universal's website indicates that it is accepting any responsibility whatsoever for enforcing a "rule" about mask-wearing. As far as children are concerned, it seems the responsibility for their safety is being placed squarely on the shoulders of their parents.
Exactly. Being ‘asked’ and ‘required’ are two different things.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m surprised at all the mandates being dropped just before the Memorial Day weekend. Seems they would have wanted to wait until after all the travel and get-togethers. Illinois has moved toward reopening at glacial speed - we’re at 1.9% positivity and still in a “bridge phase.”

Wendy Pleakley

And we know that how?

I live in a heavily Republican county in Georgia with only 50% vaccinated. There are no mask mandates here.

Still, perhaps 3 out of 4 people wear masks at stores.

There always will be the 10% who break the rules but most people are good. Have some faith in others to do the right thing.

We don't know either way, hence the concern and/or skepticism.

There are so many stories of people with fake exemption cards, nonsense like mesh masks, or just general refusals to wear masks.

Are these stories exceptions to the rule? Are they causing a perception that non-compliance is a bigger issue than it actually is? Possibly.

If vaccination rates were closer to the 70% range I'd be less worried. It just all seems a bit premature.

ImperfectPixie

We don't know either way, hence the concern and/or skepticism.

There are so many stories of people with fake exemption cards, nonsense like mesh masks, or just general refusals to wear masks.

Are these stories exceptions to the rule? Are they causing a perception that non-compliance is a bigger issue than it actually is? Possibly.

If vaccination rates were closer to the 70% range I'd be less worried. It just all seems a bit premature.
Agree with your last sentence especially...the amount of overlap between anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers is concerning, too.

Tom P.

It's not a matter of knowing either way.

It's a matter of whether you think people generally can be trusted or not.

There always are some that abuse the system.

However, I believe most (not all) people are good and will do the right thing.

I believe in people.

Do you?
If there is one thing I've learned from the last year+ of this thread, it is that a good percentage of posters here not only do not believe in people, but have great contempt for them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom