Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Yeah why should I worry about other people LOL. I mean if some unvaccinated person catches Covid and then goes home and pass it along to other people with his family why should I care. I guess I care because I want this pandemic to end…oh and I have a some sense of human decency. :rolleyes:
That logic only held up when access to the vaccine was limited. It's not anymore. Meaning the people you're describing are *choosing* to take the risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Archie123

That logic only held up when access to the vaccine was limited. It's not anymore. Meaning the people you're describing are *choosing* to take the risk.

Oh I know people are choosing to be idiots but that doesn’t mean they aren’t still negatively affecting us all. Again, people are dying everyday from CV so I’ll still have some compassion to those that are even if they are at fault for not getting vaccinated. If you choose not to then that’s on you.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
The CDC's guidelines say that vaccinated people can go without masks both indoors and outdoors. They put no burden on the vaccinated to check the status of those around them, nor do they suggest that the vaccinated assume others are unvaccinated and will lie.

In my opinion, the health experts at the CDC know more about the risks to children under 12, the immunocompromised, the rate at which COVID is spreading and other relevant factors than the people posting here. Yet the CDC issued the guidance they did, and I think it's presumptuous for posters to fault or label as uncaring those who elect to follow that guidance.

DisneyCane

Orange County is prety much the last big county in Florida that still has a mask mandate.

I am wondering if the theme parks are playing a role in this. I bet they are.
They don't have an enforceable mandate. They have what amounts to asking businesses to voluntarily require masks.

The theme parks (at least Disney and Universal) are doing it voluntarily likely so that OC going to pretend phase 3 gives them cover to make the change without too much controversy.
I believe come July 1 legally orange county can no longer have a mandate. So we know its going to be before that.

I think sometime in June seems right.
The executive order that ended all local emergencies would likely hold up in court, especially since the legislature passed the new law. On July 1, the Governor will have explicit statutory authority to invalidate any local, non-weather related, emergency order at any time. Also, non-weather related local emergency orders will be limited to a maximum of 42 days by law and they can't be replaced with a substantially similar order.

BuddyThomas

For those who think I’m an atypical New Yorker, behold:

In my neighborhood, I definitely saw more masked than unmasked. Makes me feel like this will be an easier transition than I’d expected.
In Forest Hills (Queens, NY), there have been tons of people on the street, and it has been about 50/50 of masked/unmasked. The gym honor system was the most surprising thing I saw today.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
In Forest Hills (Queens, NY), there have been tons of people on the street, and it has been about 50/50 of masked/unmasked. The gym honor system was the most surprising thing I saw today.
I think these quotes from the article should give some insight to those on the forum who couldn’t understand why any of us would still be coming to terms with the changes:
NY POST -
But “hesitant” customers were “still coming with their masks,” he said — chalking it up to lingering “trauma” from the coronavirus crisis that devastated the city last year.

“People are traumatized. I’m still traumatized by this. We have to recondition ourselves to seeing people without masks on not being a threat,” he said.

And though I know you know this, Buddy, it might be of note to others that the Post hasn’t exactly been on what we’d call the cautious side of reporting on the pandemic. So, this is certainly a choice on their part I didn’t see coming.

BuddyThomas

I think these quotes from the article should give some insight to those on the forum who couldn’t understand why any of us would still be coming to terms with the changes:

And though I know you know this, Buddy, it might be of note to others that the Post hasn’t exactly been on what we’d call the cautious side of reporting on the pandemic. So, this is certainly a choice on their part I didn’t see coming.
I agree with everything you said. Also, why are we both up at 2:56 AM on a Thursday morning? :cool:

Epcotbob

I mean I get it, but if you're waiting for a world that's totally safe for the immunocompromised, that's not going to ever be a thing.
I think the solution for the immune compromised, given that there will never be close to a 100% vaccination rate, is to wear an N95 mask. At least until the case numbers are down to a level that makes them comfortable to no longer need the extra protection.

seascape

Is today the last day the US reports over an average of 30,000 cases? Today's number is 30,206 with one state over 20. Delaware increased to 210 cases and average of 22. However the number of States with 10 or less is now all the way up to 36 with 7 at 5 or less. Unfortunately Florida is still at 3,007 and 14 cases per 100,000.

Lilofan

The Yankees are all fine. That's the point.
I've been vaxxed with Moderna a few months ago and I still wear my mask. The thought of contracting covid, holed up in quarantine experiencing mild or whatever symptoms is something that is not fine, will be fine, all fine.. I have known personally friends and family that dealt with it, a few in the hospital and it is not pretty.

correcaminos

The Yankees are all fine. That's the point.
Because they had vaccines and a healthy immune system. Those who are immune compromised do not. The vaccines do not work at all for some, and others reduced. Their lives are at risk with unvaccinated. Not always same level as when unvaccinated (though some are) but they are still at risk. This is why vaccinated people care what unvaxxed people do.

I tried explaining this to the person last night and they kept on about being no govt guinea pig. I got so mad tbh since they reached out to me about vaccines and how unfair it was.

Vaccines are meant to help groups, not just one singular person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Harlem

Sigh. That's not how it works. Knock yourself out, wear your mask forever if it makes you feel better. But you just described an anti-vax position.

People are really bad at risk management, and not really looking at the data. The risk levels post vaccine are not just a little better, they are several orders of magnitude better to the point where other common causes of death become much more likely. The vaccines nearly eliminate those who do get it (which will typically have next to no symptoms) being able to transfer it to others.

Last edited:

Nickp1983

I got vaccinated. My wife got vaccinated. My 13 year old is almost half way there. We and only we are responsible for our own health.
My wife is a cancer survivor and has lupus. Her health is her (and my) concern. If she or I or our son couldn't be vaccinated it is up to us to mitigate the risks.
When she was recovering from cancer... she didn't leave the house. Having an auto immune disease and recovering during the flu season, we knew the risk and she didn't leave the home.
I developed a heart condition junior year and went from having college coaches looking at me to working at the grocery store. It wasn't fair but the high school wasn't going to put the team and season on hold so I could get surgery and get better. I had to sacrifice my possible future for my current health.
I guess we are just built different.

There's also going to be outliers. I've had this argument with my sons school who wants to ban peanuts all together because a handful of kids have allergies. It sucks. And I feel awful but when did we go from personal responsibility and understanding your own risks... to blanket policies?

Archie123

Beyond not wanting others to suffer needlessly another factor that continues to use up resources and negatively impact health will be just another thing that drives higher costs for those paying premiums and taxes.

Are you vaccinated?? Then don't worry about those who choose not to be. I guess that's the lesson to learn from some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom