Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

1 donut a day.... so could be many ;)

But I get it and agree. Incentives should be bigger than that to work
I could see a financial incentive for the company long term. People are still working from home in many places, so by offering donuts that person may purchase more. Or the sooner people return to in person, the more customers they will have return as part of their morning routine.

ElvisMickey

1 donut a day.... so could be many ;)

But I get it and agree. Incentives should be bigger than that to work
Well one a day is definitely a little different lol. I don't know, I saw one somewhere that was like, a beer and a hot dog. Really? But for those of us who got the vaccine regardless, I guess we can start collecting ha ha!

correcaminos

Well one a day is definitely a little different lol. I don't know, I saw one somewhere that was like, a beer and a hot dog. Really? But for those of us who got the vaccine regardless, I guess we can start collecting ha ha!
Yeah none really appeal to me. While I like a good donut, I don't really see KK as "good donuts" myself. Beer and hot dog would be lost on me too. I appreciate gestures and you can better believe I signed my kid up for the chance to win a free ride in Ohio 😆

I could see a financial incentive for the company long term. People are still working from home in many places, so by offering donuts that person may purchase more. Or the sooner people return to in person, the more customers they will have return as part of their morning routine.
I thought of that too! So many get more profits because of a singular free item. Many people are more willing to buy more if something is free. Not all, but it would work in their favor.

Nickp1983

It is common sense that this year's past flu season attributed to many wearing masks.
And lack of global travel. Work places like cubical settings being closed. Schools being closed. Social distancing. Increased flu vaccinations. People staying home when sick. Increased hand washing. Mitigation efforts like temp checks at open work places. Retail places sanitizing surfaces multiple times a day. Places like restaurants, bars, night clubs, concerts etc... either being closed are having limited capacity.

There's many reasons why the flu number were extremely low.

orky8

It is common sense that this year's past flu season attributed to many wearing masks.
I'm not saying masks didn't contribute, but there was a lot more going on than just wearing masks that likely contributed to a low flu season. My kids school was still closed, for example. I didn't go to a single restaurant. My work was at mandatory telework. So, I'm not sure it's commons sense to attribute it to masks.

Nickp1983

I'm not saying masks didn't contribute, but there was a lot more going on than just wearing masks that likely contributed to a low flu season. My kids school was still closed, for example. I didn't go to a single restaurant. My work was at mandatory telework. So, I'm not sure it's commons sense to attribute it to masks.
Yup. I also think there was a conscious effort on people's part to stay home when sick. If someone had a slight fever and cough, considering what was happening with covid, they felt sense of duty to stay home. The flu becomes contagious once the carrier is symptomatic. Unlike covid where it can spread before symptoms or with no symptoms.

Last edited by a moderator:

drizgirl

Yup. I also think there was a conscious effort on people's part to stay home when sick. If someone had a slight fever and cough, considering what was happening with covid, they felt sense of duty to stay home. The flu becomes contagious once the carrier is symptomatic. Unlike covid where it can spread before symptoms or with no symptoms.
Also no pushback from employers when people stayed home.

But I also think fewer people were getting tested. Too much of a PITA to show up with flu symptoms which could mimic COVID symptoms. Many PCPs wouldn't even see you with those symptoms.

Also limits on international travel made a difference.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I really don’t understand these types of silly incentives. Like, if you’re someone who doesn’t want to get the vaccine for whatever reason, are you really going to change your mind over a free doughnut? I appreciate the gesture, but…
It has nothing to do with getting people who don’t want to get the vaccine to change their mind. It’s all about getting those who say they will eventually get the vaccine to come in. In recent polling 57% of people said they had gotten the vaccine (lined up with CDC numbers at the time of the poll, we are up to 60% now), 20% of people said they would never get the vaccine no matter what and 23% of people said they were not opposed to getting the vaccine and would likely get it eventually but were in no hurry. So the things like the donut offers are not intended to convince the 20% in the not getting it no matter what crowd. They are mostly a lost cause. The offers are a way to get the people left who say they will get the vaccine eventually to come in sooner than later. In other words not all of the unvaccinated adults are anti-vaxx a large number just haven’t gotten around to it yet. Hard to believe for someone who fought for an appointment as soon as they were eligible but not everyone thinks the same.

The Mom

Premium Member
I really don’t understand these types of silly incentives. Like, if you’re someone who doesn’t want to get the vaccine for whatever reason, are you really going to change your mind over a free doughnut? I appreciate the gesture, but…
It may be more of a Thank-you rather than an incentive.

After all, how many people are going to join the military just so they can get the reduced rates for tickets, lodging, cruises, etc offered by Disney?

corsairk09

I think that this was the biggest difference when it came to schools (well... the ones that were open). Parents were more responsible (or didn't want to risk a 14- day quarantine) so they kept their kids home when they were sick. It made a HUGE difference at my school.

orky8

It has nothing to do with getting people who don’t want to get the vaccine to change their mind. It’s all about getting those who say they will eventually get the vaccine to come in. In recent polling 57% of people said they had gotten the vaccine (lined up with CDC numbers at the time of the poll, we are up to 60% now), 20% of people said they would never get the vaccine no matter what and 23% of people said they were not opposed to getting the vaccine and would likely get it eventually but were in no hurry. So the things like the donut offers are not intended to convince the 20% in the not getting it no matter what crowd. They are mostly a lost cause. The offers are a way to get the people left who say they will get the vaccine eventually to come in sooner than later. In other words not all of the unvaccinated adults are anti-vaxx a large number just haven’t gotten around to it yet. Hard to believe for someone who fought for an appointment as soon as they were eligible but not everyone thinks the same.

I've heard it described that most people who haven't gotten the vaccine are not anti-vaxers, they are anti-taskers. Especially those in their 20s and 30s. We just need to motivate them to go do it -- they aren't morally opposed to getting it, they're just opposed to doing things that take work and don't see the need, so haven't bothered.

Epcotbob

I've heard it described that most people who haven't gotten the vaccine are not anti-vaxers, they are anti-taskers. Especially those in their 20s and 30s. We just need to motivate them to go do it -- they aren't morally opposed to getting it, they're just opposed to doing things that take work and don't see the need, so haven't bothered.
There are also a number of people that were taking a wait and see approach before getting the jab. They are not anti-vax per se, but just a little concerned because of the speed at which it was allowed for general use. I think many of them are now more inclined to go ahead since, as far as we know, we haven’t seen large scale issues.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed. I posted an article a while back profiling some of these people. In a lot of cases they had no issues with the safety of the vaccine and they saw value in getting it but they were just busy and hadn’t gotten around to it. I think one guy who owned his own plumbing business said he had planned to get the vaccine but every weekend he would get emergency calls or offers for extra work that he didn’t want to turn down. He said he’d get it eventually when he got a free day. Since it was an article from a few weeks ago hopefully he has gone already now that appointments aren’t even needed and most places are doing walk in. It is too bad that JnJ suffered those PR issues and many people got scared away from it. That vaccine is perfect for people short on time. One and done and less mild side effects after the shot to potentially knock people out of work.

Kevin_W

I went to Costco a couple days ago and the pharmacy was offering no-appointment walk-up vaccinations and you could choose Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson and Johnson. That seemed pretty interesting and convenient, but I didn't walk by the pharmacy to see if anyone was in line over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom