Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

I went to Costco a couple days ago and the pharmacy was offering no-appointment walk-up vaccinations and you could choose Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson and Johnson. That seemed pretty interesting and convenient, but I didn't walk by the pharmacy to see if anyone was in line over there.
We didn't see many "walk-ins" at the drive-through place we went to for both our Pfizer doses (they are also letting people choose). There's a different procedure for people who don't have an appointment, and as far as I could tell, we were the only ones. The sign where you turn to reach the location still says "by appointment", but they've been accepting walk-ins for a couple of weeks...I wonder if this could be an issue...

orky8

Agreed. I posted an article a while back profiling some of these people. In a lot of cases they had no issues with the safety of the vaccine and they saw value in getting it but they were just busy and hadn’t gotten around to it. I think one guy who owned his own plumbing business said he had planned to get the vaccine but every weekend he would get emergency calls or offers for extra work that he didn’t want to turn down. He said he’d get it eventually when he got a free day. Since it was an article from a few weeks ago hopefully he has gone already now that appointments aren’t even needed and most places are doing walk in. It is too bad that JnJ suffered those PR issues and many people got scared away from it. That vaccine is perfect for people short on time. One and done and less mild side effects after the shot to potentially knock people out of work.

Agree, they really botched that. The J&J one is perfect for going to things like sporting events, churches, nascar, festivals, airports, train stations, etc. and being like, while you're here, get a free hot dog and a shot.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agree, they really botched that. The J&J one is perfect for going to things like sporting events, churches, nascar, festivals, airports, train stations, etc. and being like, while you're here, get a free hot dog and a shot.

I am not sure how J&J should have been handled differently. Even though the side effect was rare, the big issue was that the normal treatment for blood clots was not appropriate in this situation so time was needed to be sure doctors understood that.

orky8

I am not sure how J&J should have been handled differently. Even though the side effect was rare, the big issue was that the normal treatment for blood clots was not appropriate in this situation so time was needed to be sure doctors understood that.
Monday morning quarter-backing, but in hindsight probably would have been better say based on the extreme rarity of the occurrences, will be closely monitoring but not halting at this moment. Then, a week later, reaffirmed that decision. I think the entire thing was optics driven, and they wanted to make sure the public trusted the shots, so would you trust it more if it appears they are being ultraconservative and pulling it until confident vs saying confident this is a non-issue and will continue with the shots? Who knows, but I think pulling it ultimately caused a bigger waiver of confidence. W/R/T the doctors being prepared, I think by the time it was pulled, the message was out to watch for this and treat accordingly.

Patcheslee

I think that this was the biggest difference when it came to schools (well... the ones that were open). Parents were more responsible (or didn't want to risk a 14- day quarantine) so they kept their kids home when they were sick. It made a HUGE difference at my school.
Students were also punished for staying home without a positive test. Our school didn't allow students to attend virtually without a positive covid test or doctors paperwork stating they still had to quarantine. Mine had strep, but wasn't allowed to do virtual while waiting for her fever to be gone and antibiotics to have been given 24hrs. Whatever days she missed, was given the same amount of day to complete all the missed work. BUT it had to be done during non-school hours. So from the time she got home until bed, she was on a chromebook for 2 days.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

I hope Jersey Devil will start testing by end of the week or next week, because the park will increase more capacity with no masks, as reservation system will be gone by end of summer as low cases in NJ soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How about a federal incentive? $200 tax credit per person in your household for 2021 taxes.
I absolutely think that if there is any additional stimulus money paid out it should be tied directly to vaccination status. $200-$500 is not a huge sum of money, but how many people walk away from that? I’d much rather see that then mandates attempting to require vaccination or passports attempting to restrict people who aren’t vaccinated. The carrot 🥕 is the much better approach IMHO.

correcaminos

Students were also punished for staying home without a positive test. Our school didn't allow students to attend virtually without a positive covid test or doctors paperwork stating they still had to quarantine. Mine had strep, but wasn't allowed to do virtual while waiting for her fever to be gone and antibiotics to have been given 24hrs. Whatever days she missed, was given the same amount of day to complete all the missed work. BUT it had to be done during non-school hours. So from the time she got home until bed, she was on a chromebook for 2 days.
Covid or otherwise, we didn't have an option for a temporary virtual if sick. Your school sounds like it should really rethink how hard it is on kids when they do get sick if they are that picky.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s just an unfortunate set of circumstances. If the rare blood clots never showed up I think we may be further along on vaccines today. Not JnJ or the FDA/CDC‘s fault for following the safety plan, just unfortunate. I think most people just pivoted to one of the other vaccines if they had a concern.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

It’s just an unfortunate set of circumstances. If the rate blood clots never showed up I think we may be further along on vaccines today. Not JnJ or the FDA/CDC‘s fault for following the safety plan, just unfortunate. I think most people just pivoted to one of the other vaccines if they had a concern.
Humans are very panicky creatures. I wish the CDC/FDA would behave accordingly.

Wendy Pleakley

It’s just an unfortunate set of circumstances. If the rate blood clots never showed up I think we may be further along on vaccines today. Not JnJ or the FDA/CDC‘s fault for following the safety plan, just unfortunate. I think most people just pivoted to one of the other vaccines if they had a concern.

Same in Canada with AstraZeneca. There's something like a 1 in 100,000 risk of getting a blood clot.

Yes, a few people have died or suffered severe medical issues. It's still less risk than many common medications including birth control. The odds of dying from the vaccine are less than dying due to contracting COVID.

The way people are reacting you'd think it's the equivalent of injecting poison.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
College program officially open to new applicants. After placing any interested 2020 participants that had their experience cut short (starting June 14) they opened applications for new applicants for arrivals in June or July. All part of the major Summer ramp up. Will park hours expand once the first batch of CP starts? Right now only EPCOT is open late enough for night entertainment. MK would need to go to 10 at minimum.

ABQ

College program officially open to new applicants. After placing any interested 2020 participants that had their experience cut short (starting June 14) they opened applications for new applicants for arrivals in June or July. All part of the major Summer ramp up. Will park hours expand once the first batch of CP starts? Right now only EPCOT is open late enough for night entertainment. MK would need to go to 10 at minimum.
I would just like to see the CP bring in enough staff that shuttered storefronts and the like within Epcot be opened. I know, it's not the same as the cultural representation which wont happen for a long while, but so much of World Showcase feels like walking around a dead mall, albeit a nicer looking one than most, when the doors are all closed.

Wendy Pleakley

I have concerns. We don't know the long-term side effects of the vaccines in Muppets!

This is Gonzo three days after getting vaccinated:

1621444432682.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom