Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
I HATE the phrase "virtue signaling" because it's very buzz-word/cliche. And it's come to signify an eye-roll reaction.

But why?

Why is it frowned upon to set the example? Why can't people "be the change they want to see in the world"?

When someone uses the term "virtue signaling" I can't help but think of the old-school Highlights cartoon "Goofus and Gallant", where Goofus would disparage Gallant for doing something correctly, like helping someone cross the street, or saying "thank you."

Those who use the term "virtue signaling" are Goofuses in my eyes. And I will continue to be a Gallant, just like @Tony the Tigger .
I have a different perspective. In my opinion, masks should be mandated for one purpose and one purpose only - to stop the spread of COVID. At one point, masks were pretty much all we had to keep us safe if we had to be around other people. But as more people are vaccinated and numbers drop, masks are naturally doing less and less. At some point, they will do so little that the mandates need to end. We will no longer need to wear masks to protect others - they will need to protect themselves by getting vaccinated.

I think we are getting to point where, if people still feel unsafe, the mask-wearing will shift to them. I have absolutely no issue with people continuing to wear masks for whatever reason they like. Some will do it to protect themselves, others to feel good about themselves or to give comfort to people who may be anxious even though they are vaccinated. That will be their choice. But if the masks are quickly becoming no longer necessary, as the CDC and Dr. Fauci have stated, I see no good in continuing to require people to wear them.

I read some disturbing articles on vaccine hesitancy this morning. If we stall out and people are choosing not to get vaccinated before we reach herd immunity, it won't be long until those who are vaccinated will demand a way to be exempted from the restrictions. Vaccinated people are not getting sick or making other people sick; at some point, we are going to have to stop treating them the same as unvaccinated people because we can't tell the difference.

Heppenheimer

We are still catching up. I was trying to buy some of the fake wood furniture that looks like wood but is actually plastic for my yard. The place I’ve used in the past had a 4 month back order. They basically said the manufacturing plant shut down initially in covid for a few months and then they sold out all of their inventory and now they are still catching up almost a year later. He said they are also having issues with labor shortages, can’t get all their raw materials and still having issues with deliveries.
Oh, don't I know it. A few months ago I ordered a pretty decent telescope to take advantage of the exceptionally low amount of light pollution we have up here. Still waiting for it.

My wife and I also looked into buying a piano... I really miss playing. We'll be lucky if we can get one by Christmas.

There seems to be a general supply chain crunch right now, and the recent hack on the fuel pipeline will probably make things worse- Stop hording, people! Did you learn nothing last spring?

I wonder how much of these supply chain and labor shortages will affect the on-ongoing construction projects at Disney World? I can't imagine wood is their primary building material, but at least a significant component, maybe.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The company I work for is a manufacturer and distributor of products in the technology sector and the pandemic has really kept out purchasing department on their toes. The computer chip shortage has impacted some of our suppliers to the point where they can't even tell us when will get more product. A couple of out smaller suppliers have just disappeared, can't even reach them to find out what it going on.

big crush in the computer market...we could see “90’s pricing” before long (adjusted...of course)

DisneyDebRob

Yeah, it’s expensive but the stuff lasts forever.
Not sure if the fences are made of poly wood, I think they are, but we have 2 neighbors that have it and they both have sections down. I asked the one what happened and he said that during high winds they don’t stand up like regular fencing. I’m sure decks are much different but the fencing is a different story.

Flugell

It's only frowned on when it comes with a heaping helping of superior attitude. Not saying that's you or any other specific poster here. Just saying that's what people have an issue with.
I have an issue with people who have an overload of superiority by saying, yes I’m vaccinated and don’t have a condition that makes it necessary for me to wear a mask. I’m vaccinated but as I have explained we’re still advised to shelter and wear a mask. No superior attitude, just following doctor’s advice. So for pities sake stop implying that mask wearers are being ridiculous.

Apart from anything else, what I have understood from this forum, it is still the rule.

mmascari

But Covid spread would be decreased if the gondolas had air conditioning, right?
Have we learned nothing about ventilation in the last year. It's the exact reverse. Effective air conditioning in the gondolas would require recirculating the air as much as possible. As pointed out hundreds of pages earlier, they would need to restrict how much air loss there is when the doors open. There would never be enough power for them to mix in enough fresh air. Do you want to get into a cabin full of stale, but refreshingly cool, air from the prior group?

Now, the ventilation windows exchange huge amounts of cabin air with outside air. The perfect COVID solution. The bigger question is, how close does this make it to just like being outside that's safe? Could they double load the cabins because of the rapid air exchange? I suppose the flow direction would matter, a safer side of the cabin. Better to sit up wind.

Extra bonus, there's probably some flue like effect with the ventilation pulling in extra oxygen to feed the flames as the cabin contents spontaneously ignite. I'm sure that offers some sanitizing effect and reduces droplet propagation.

bryanfze55

i had a fairly decent renovation drawn up for my house...

...it’s going on the shelf for now. No need to pay for “market upcharge”.

people are really dumb with real estate, construction...never ever pay in a high

Hard to time “the high.” I bought my house in December 2016, and my know-it-all friends said that was “the high” and the market would be coming down anytime. Thankfully I didn’t listen.
With that being said, I don’t think I would build a deck right now. You need a place to live, but you don’t need a deck.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hard to time “the high.” I bought my house in December 2016, and my know-it-all friends said that was “the high” and the market would be coming down anytime. Thankfully I didn’t listen.
With that being said, I don’t think I would build a deck right now. You need a place to live, but you don’t need a deck.

there are no money down mortgages starting to pop up again...

so that “covers” the situation with real estate.

raw material costs are hyperflated for renovation...which means they throw overcharges for labor on top too.

best not do it now if you don’t need it...at least wait out the summer and see how it goes.

mmascari

Not sure if the fences are made of poly wood, I think they are, but we have 2 neighbors that have it and they both have sections down. I asked the one what happened and he said that during high winds they don’t stand up like regular fencing. I’m sure decks are much different but the fencing is a different story.
There's all different types, at all different price points.

From thin cheap fencing, thicker fencing with metal inserts, trim boards, to full on sold dimensional lumber. I would assume furniture built from it, or similar products, uses the "good stuff". Side note, it's great for window and door trim, never rots and no water damage either.

bryanfze55

there are no money down mortgages starting to pop up again...

so that “covers” the situation with real estate.

raw material costs are hyperflated for renovation...which means they throw overcharges for labor on top too.

best not do it now if you don’t need it...at least wait out the summer and see how it goes.
I agree on the renovations part. Again, it’s need vs. want. But people (at least your average homeowner) have never had more money than they do now, and they’re willing to pay what’s being asked.

drizgirl

I have an issue with people who have an overload of superiority by saying, yes I’m vaccinated and don’t have a condition that makes it necessary for me to wear a mask. I’m vaccinated but as I have explained we’re still advised to shelter and wear a mask. No superior attitude, just following doctor’s advice. So for pities sake stop implying that mask wearers are being ridiculous.

Apart from anything else, what I have understood from this forum, it is still the rule.
I never implied mask wearers were being ridiculous, and have gone out of my way to be clear on that front.

DisneyDebRob

There's all different types, at all different price points.

From thin cheap fencing, thicker fencing with metal inserts, trim boards, to full on sold dimensional lumber. I would assume furniture built from it, or similar products, uses the "good stuff". Side note, it's great for window and door trim, never rots and no water damage either.
Thanks for the info! I had no idea about any of it. Was going to look into it a year and a half ago when replacing our fence but after seeing them in our neighborhood we decided to not even bother looking at it and went with wood again. I’ve been on decks made of the stuff and it was great.

sullyinMT

When we installed our composite deck a few years back, we were told it wasn’t structural. Our contractor gave us the choice of traditional lumber or black powder coat steel. Since it was in the budget, we went steel to truly make it maintenance-free.

drizgirl

best advice is just to wear them until the cases flatline...don’t get tripped up trying to straddle a “line”
I'm probably not going to be held hostage by people hanging around for a decade waiting for long term vaccine side effect results to roll in. I'm supportive of wearing them until everyone has had a fair chance at vaccinating themselves. After that? I'll probably start dropping mine if others are doing the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom