Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

I am on the wrong side of PA for you, but my county opened the appointments yesterday for 12+.

edit: never mind. I see @helenabear posted something much closer to you
My sister said her kids got it at the (former?) J.C. Penny location at the King of Prussia mall. That's Montgomery County, isn't it? My geogrpahic memory of the region isn't as sharp as it once was.

ParentsOf4

You're taking two independent variables and trying to make them dependent on one another.
We’re discussing COVID vaccination and when we should return to normal.

We are discussing if we should return to normal while the vaccination rate is relatively low among children ages 12-17.

Disney added fences after a young child tragically drowned. But they continued normal operations.

More children drown every year than have died from COVID.

WDW can return to normal operation even as we continue to get young children vaccinated.

JD80

I’m curious if we will get mRNA flu shots. So much change is coming with this technology

Moderna is looking at a combo shot.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, it mean we shouldn’t shut down our economy (for example WDW continues to operate at limited capacity) because children drown or die in auto accidents.
I agree and I think besides the first few months of the pandemic we figured this out. WDW was open from July on but with restrictions. It was possible to have WDW open and be safe because they limited capacity and they required distancing and masks. Disney did not make anywhere near the kind of money they would have if covid never happened, but they were open. Same goes for restaurants and malls and hotels and airlines. In most areas bars/clubs were mostly shut down and stuff like cruise lines and concert venues never got off the ground.

In reality very little of the economy was completely shut down for very long. Lots of things were highly impacted (mostly in a negative way) but it’s hard to quantify how much of the economic impact was purely restrictions and how much was the pandemic itself. For example, WDW was open with very low capacity limits last Summer and didn’t have days selling out. So demand wasn’t there despite being open. Some of that reduced demand was due to reduced offerings to meet Covid mitigation but most was due to people’s lack of desire to travel.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My sister said her kids got it at the (former?) J.C. Penny location at the King of Prussia mall. That's Montgomery County, isn't it? My geogrpahic memory of the region isn't as sharp as it once was.
It is. My options were there or the abandoned Sears at another mall that’s a little closer. The other locations for the county were all doing JnJ this week. Apparently people are still getting that one which is good to see.

JD80

I agree and I think besides the first few months of the pandemic we figured this out. WDW was open from July on but with restrictions. It was possible to have WDW open and be safe because they limited capacity and they required distancing and masks. Disney did not make anywhere near the kind of money they would have if covid never happened, but they were open. Same goes for restaurants and malls and hotels and airlines. In most areas bars/clubs were mostly shut down and stuff like cruise lines and concert venues never got off the ground.

In reality very little of the economy was completely shut down for very long. Lots of things were highly impacted (mostly in a negative way) but it’s hard to quantify how much of the economic impact was purely restrictions and how much was the pandemic itself. For example, WDW was open with very low capacity limits last Summer and didn’t have days selling out. So demand wasn’t there despite being open. Some of that reduced demand was due to reduced offerings to meet Covid mitigation but most was due to people’s lack of desire to travel.
Another example is how much did landscaping companies or handyman businesses lose work because so many people worked from home and just mowed the lawn or fixed a leaky sink themselves because they had time?

ImperfectPixie

Another example is how much did landscaping companies or handyman businesses lose work because so many people worked from home and just mowed the lawn or fixed a leaky sink themselves because they had time?
Actually, the company my husband works for has been slammed ever since they re-opened last spring. (Flooring repair and installation and carpet cleaning.) It doesn't show any signs of slowing down, either.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
True. Home Depot and Lowe’s did really well since people did lots of home improvements. I also think people who do home renovations probably did well. Lots of people using stimulus money to redo a kitchen or bathroom since it wasn’t as popular to travel. I went to a place near me to buy some new patio furniture and they were back ordered on almost everything until August. Lots of people buying backyard entertaining stuff since the staycation became so popular.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually, the company my husband works for has been slammed ever since they re-opened last spring. (Flooring repair and installation and carpet cleaning.) It doesn't show any signs of slowing down, either.
Stimulus dollars at work for people who didn’t lose any income during the pandemic. Since people were traveling less more of that money went to other goods and services.

correcaminos

Reading through as we wait for the CDC stamp of approval, I am becoming less convinced we need it to give the shots. I saw that back in December it was a guidance but not required. So not sure this is wrong for some clinics to begin. Our governor said to start asap and that we could begin today, so I am hoping our 11:30 appointment holds. If not my 6:45 one should be fine.

JD80

Stimulus dollars at work for people who didn’t lose any income during the pandemic. Since people were traveling less more of that money went to other goods and services.

A lot of people don't realize how much gas costs. Even not being able to eat out as much as some people do is a lot of money in your bank account.

Then again, Amazon home shopping went up dramatically. Probably evened out. :)

Kevin_W

Reading through as we wait for the CDC stamp of approval, I am becoming less convinced we need it to give the shots. I saw that back in December it was a guidance but not required. So not sure this is wrong for some clinics to begin. Our governor said to start asap and that we could begin today, so I am hoping our 11:30 appointment holds. If not my 6:45 one should be fine.

Yeah, I though FDA was the final approval. But it seems many(most?) are waiting for the CDC advisory board.

This has been interesting to watch since the data was submitted a long time ago and every news story I have read since then has had about 0% doubt it would be approved.

DisneyDebRob

I agree with most of your post except for the last sentence. I think reduced demand was because of how tough it was and restrictions on travel rather then the lack of desire. They kind of go hand in hand, I understand that but I can’t tell you how many peoples vacations my wife had to cancel because of the quarantines in place of 2 weeks here,2 weeks there just to go away for a few days or weeks. People couldn’t do that with work or family situations or whatever. The ones that did travel I’m willing to bet that most quarantine wasn’t observed.

ImperfectPixie

Sure, but those are things that an average person can't do. Plus stimulus money.
Interestingly, the majority of the clients he's been extra busy with this year have been businesses or people who wouldn't have qualified for the stimulus money. There are still the usual mix of clients, of course, but this last year has been particularly heavy with those two types.

Heppenheimer

This is just anecdotal from some of the tradesmen who are my patients... they've actually never been busier. Maybe some people tried the DIY route for home improvements, but for more complex jobs, most lay people don't just lack the time but also the necessary skills and equipment. I think any loss of income from small jobs was likely more than offset by people redirecting travel and entertainment expenses towards home improvement projects. The biggest problem I hear of isn't a lack of work, its not being able to find the workers they need to meet the demand. There was a shortage of skilled tradesmen before the pandemic, and now the situation is even worse.

correcaminos

Yeah, I though FDA was the final approval. But it seems many(most?) are waiting for the CDC advisory board.

This has been interesting to watch since the data was submitted a long time ago and every news story I have read since then has had about 0% doubt it would be approved.
It feels crazy to wait this long from my view. We are trying to get both in before we leave for vacation just to have it done. So we are personally on a time line.

Our school district announced that they will have clinics for students soon for 12+ and they already have done two for 16+ as it is. I'll update later today about how lunch goes. Good thing lunch is 80 minutes long so we have time and one clinic is maybe 2 miles from the school.

JoeCamel

True. Home Depot and Lowe’s did really well since people did lots of home improvements. I also think people who do home renovations probably did well. Lots of people using stimulus money to redo a kitchen or bathroom since it wasn’t as popular to travel. I went to a place near me to buy some new patio furniture and they were back ordered on almost everything until August. Lots of people buying backyard entertaining stuff since the staycation became so popular.

This is just anecdotal from some of the tradesmen who are my patients... they've actually never been busier. Maybe some people tried the DIY route for home improvements, but for more complex jobs, most lay people don't just lack the time but also the necessary skills and equipment. I think any loss of income from small jobs was likely more than offset by people redirecting travel and entertainment expenses towards home improvement projects. The biggest problem I hear of isn't a lack of work, its not being able to find the workers they need to meet the demand. There was a shortage of skilled tradesmen before the pandemic, and now the situation is even worse.
Material shortages too. I was in HD an hour ago, they have no sheetrock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom