Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the Tigger

Because you look ridiculous, and it's virtue signalling.

Lovely.

Or - I often post a pic of myself at WDW as my profile pic, and that's the most recent one. Plus I thought it was kind of fun to have a silly Mickey face over my own face.

"Virtue signaling" - good buzz word, I guess.

Or - more like encouragement, positivity: "Look, I still went to WDW and had fun during this nutty time. So can you!"

But keep making fun of me. Especially about profile pics...

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Moderna is looking at a combo shot.
is this fall/winter will be much better as we don't have surges and don't wear masks anymore by then?

Patcheslee

It feels crazy to wait this long from my view. We are trying to get both in before we leave for vacation just to have it done. So we are personally on a time line.

Our school district announced that they will have clinics for students soon for 12+ and they already have done two for 16+ as it is. I'll update later today about how lunch goes. Good thing lunch is 80 minutes long so we have time and one clinic is maybe 2 miles from the school.
I've got local hospital, Walgreens, both showing appointments available tomorrow but Indiana won't let me book DD12. Health department doesn't know when they would do a 12-15 clinic, they never did one for the older kids as they currently only do Moderna right now, and those are limited to 2 days a week, 12-5 or 12-3pm.
If we can get her started by Friday and no delay on 2nd shot, we'll be right at the +2 weeks before vacation. Waiting on HR to respond to time off for parents to take kids to vaccinations. Currently employees only get the time covered for themselves to get it.

Bob Harlem

Supposedly there's also national lumber shortage. Not enough producers and too much demand. Or so I read...
There is a shortage, it's reflected in the price of plywood (and all structural lumber), about an 300% increase in price from this time last year. It's mostly production and transport issues, I.e. sawmills going crazy and not enough truckers/drivers, but logging operations are normal. Same issue with a lot of supplies, not just lumber. Add in the gas shortages and price increases and inflation will likely be a big thing that swings the political pendulum again.

Plywood will be interesting when a hurricane approaches, $60-80 a sheet for the usual 4x8 1/2" plywood needed is going to freak out a lot of folks (Considering it was about $25 a sheet last year)

Last edited:

Polkadotdress

Because you look ridiculous, and it's virtue signalling.

Lovely.

"Virtue signaling" - good buzz word, I guess.

Or - more like encouragement, positivity: "Look, I still went to WDW and had fun during this nutty time. So can you!"

But keep making fun of me. Especially about profile pics...

I HATE the phrase "virtue signaling" because it's very buzz-word/cliche. And it's come to signify an eye-roll reaction.

But why?

Why is it frowned upon to set the example? Why can't people "be the change they want to see in the world"?

When someone uses the term "virtue signaling" I can't help but think of the old-school Highlights cartoon "Goofus and Gallant", where Goofus would disparage Gallant for doing something correctly, like helping someone cross the street, or saying "thank you."

Those who use the term "virtue signaling" are Goofuses in my eyes. And I will continue to be a Gallant, just like @Tony the Tigger .

ABQ

There is a shortage, it's reflected in the price of plywood (and all structural lumber), about an 300% increase in price from this time last year. It's mostly production and transport issues, I.e. sawmills going crazy and not enough truckers/drivers, but logging operations are normal. Same issue with a lot of supplies, not just lumber. Add in the gas shortages and price increases and inflation will likely be a big thing that swings the political pendulum again.

Plywood will be interesting when a hurricane approaches, $60-80 a sheet for the usual 4x8 1/2" plywood needed is going to freak out a lot of folks (Considering it was about $25 a sheet last year)
Hopefully, outside of those who moved to new homes, people save their plywood and just store it till the next season.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Material shortages too. I was in HD an hour ago, they have no sheetrock
We are still catching up. I was trying to buy some of the fake wood furniture that looks like wood but is actually plastic for my yard. The place I’ve used in the past had a 4 month back order. They basically said the manufacturing plant shut down initially in covid for a few months and then they sold out all of their inventory and now they are still catching up almost a year later. He said they are also having issues with labor shortages, can’t get all their raw materials and still having issues with deliveries.

corsairk09

We are still catching up. I was trying to buy some of the fake wood furniture that looks like wood but is actually plastic for my yard. The place I’ve used in the past had a 4 month back order. They basically said the manufacturing plant shut down initially in covid for a few months and then they sold out all of their inventory and now they are still catching up almost a year later. He said they are also having issues with labor shortages, can’t get all their raw materials and still having issues with deliveries.
I continue to be overwhelmed by how far reaching the consequences of this pandemic have been.

I try to think about life before 2020 and can't believe how much things...... random things like getting plastic furniture have changed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

polywood?

let me guess: an “Amish” furniture place? 😂

they’re charging over retail with a 4+ month lag near me too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Actually, the company my husband works for has been slammed ever since they re-opened last spring. (Flooring repair and installation and carpet cleaning.) It doesn't show any signs of slowing down, either.

Yeah, home improvement boomed during the pandemic. People were spending a lot more time at home, and if they were still employed they weren't spending it on travel or dining out so they spent it on home improvements.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I continue to be overwhelmed by how far reaching the consequences of this pandemic have been.

I try to think about life before 2020 and can't believe how much things...... random things like getting plastic furniture have changed.

they shut the economy down over a weekend.

you know how much people love money? So what does that tell you about their willingness to mothball near everything so quickly? Including Wall Street and the US government?

it was on the Woodward tapes...they expected it to be ALOT worse.

and still it was awful. I’m glad I “don’t know what I don’t know”

ImperfectPixie

they shut the economy down over a weekend.

you know how much people love money? So what does that tell you about their willingness to mothball near everything so quickly? Including Wall Street and the US government?

it was on the Woodward tapes...they expected it to be ALOT worse.

and still it was awful. I’m glad I “don’t know what I don’t know”
Me too. I don't want to know what they expected.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The company I work for is a manufacturer and distributor of products in the technology sector and the pandemic has really kept out purchasing department on their toes. The computer chip shortage has impacted some of our suppliers to the point where they can't even tell us when will get more product. A couple of out smaller suppliers have just disappeared, can't even reach them to find out what it going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom