Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flugell

I never implied mask wearers were being ridiculous, and have gone out of my way to be clear on that front.
Apologies if you feel that I have jumped down your throat!
I accept that you have said clearly that you weren’t aiming the comment at anyone on this thread, which includes me!
What I don’t understand is, if that’s the case why mention mask wearers at all? If feeling superior is the motivation to wear a mask why is that so terrifying/annoying?
If it is still required by mandates, businesses, WDW etc. surely the important thing is that people wear the mask irrespective of the reasons they have chosen?
Once the rules/mandates change then everyone can make their own decision but just expect/hope that no one will be feeling superior, or derided for the choice they make. Strangers are unaware of the reason for their choice.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure if the fences are made of poly wood, I think they are, but we have 2 neighbors that have it and they both have sections down. I asked the one what happened and he said that during high winds they don’t stand up like regular fencing. I’m sure decks are much different but the fencing is a different story.
I have 2 Adirondack chairs and a table that I’ve had for about 5 years and they still look brand new. They are technically plastic but even the surface is made “rough” to appear as if it’s real wood but they can be cleaned with a wet paper towel. They aren’t painted because the plastic itself is the color so no chipping or fading. We were so happy with them I ordered a table, 6 chairs and a bar in the same material.

Lilofan

Most in FL don't buy plywood for each hurricane. My parents have it stored in their garage and take it out as needed, though they are in the process of updating all their windows to hurricane resistant glass, then they can ditch the plywood forever.
Possible but it is a stressful situation pre hurricane - when families buy up all the plywood, hurricane supplies, dry goods off the food shelves and stand in line at the gas station trying to fill up their cars.

JoeCamel

There is a shortage, it's reflected in the price of plywood (and all structural lumber), about an 300% increase in price from this time last year. It's mostly production and transport issues, I.e. sawmills going crazy and not enough truckers/drivers, but logging operations are normal. Same issue with a lot of supplies, not just lumber. Add in the gas shortages and price increases and inflation will likely be a big thing that swings the political pendulum again.

Plywood will be interesting when a hurricane approaches, $60-80 a sheet for the usual 4x8 1/2" plywood needed is going to freak out a lot of folks (Considering it was about $25 a sheet last year)
I saw lots of log trucks going to the mills and the log yards were full. They are running all out. The cattle feed lots are stuffed, it is calving season so the old ones get shipped out but this was an exceptional level. Roads are stuffed with trucks, it all looks like they are trying to do twice as much to make up for last year.

Last edited:

HarperRose

I have 2 Adirondack chairs and a table that I’ve had for about 5 years and they still look brand new. They are technically plastic but even the surface is made “rough” to appear as if it’s real wood but they can be cleaned with a wet paper towel. They aren’t painted because the plastic itself is the color so no chipping or fading. We were so happy with them I ordered a table, 6 chairs and a bar in the same material.
We love our Polywood.

Incomudro

Another example is how much did landscaping companies or handyman businesses lose work because so many people worked from home and just mowed the lawn or fixed a leaky sink themselves because they had time?

I remember some people complaining that stores like Home Depot were allowed to stay open.
Just how would a homeowner repair something that needed a part to fix right away (say plumbing, electrical etc.) if they couldn't, or a contractor couldn't get to a store to purchase the part?

JoeCamel

Most in FL don't buy plywood for each hurricane. My parents have it stored in their garage and take it out as needed, though they are in the process of updating all their windows to hurricane resistant glass, then they can ditch the plywood forever.
Be sure they wait to sell til hurricanes are on the horizon.... ;)

havoc315

Watch Chapek announced that at the earnings phone call!

Who knows what huge steps may be next... I mean, they are currently slowly bringing back valet parking!
Maybe they won't socially distance cars in the parking lot anymore! Actually allow cars to park next to each other!

I called it:

"Cars may also be directed to resume parking in every space."

disneygeek90

@ImperfectPixie @GoofGoof I got bad feeling about this: asteroid hits Earth and future pandemics...
But I heard the doctors is making a future vaccine that can stop future pandemics in the future.

Don't worry about an asteroid...

There was a rocket cycling the earth for over a week before it landed in the ocean a few days ago but you probably didn't even hear about that. Sometimes it's better to not dive into the deep web for worst case scenarios.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I called it:

"Cars may also be directed to resume parking in every space."

Who cares about cars....this effectively eliminates the park capacity limits in all practical terms. Whatever rides were left with capacity limits should be loaded full now. Also allows for transport to ramp up and pool capacity to be increased for the Summer. Next up....entertainment returns.

disneygeek90

Who cares about cars....this effectively eliminates the park capacity limits in all practical terms. Whatever rides were left with capacity limits should be loaded full now. Also allows for transport to ramp up and pool capacity to be increased for the Summer. Next up....entertainment returns.
The car parking was actually super nice. Doors not opening right on top of each other.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm probably not going to be held hostage by people hanging around for a decade waiting for long term vaccine side effect results to roll in. I'm supportive of wearing them until everyone has had a fair chance at vaccinating themselves. After that? I'll probably start dropping mine if others are doing the same.

you aren’t being held hostage by “people”...you never have been and never will be in your life. You are experiencing temporary public health guidelines to stop something that felled more Americans than WW2 and Vietnam combined...

...but I hope those parades are back for you soon. 👍🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom